• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinco de Mayo...What will you make??

I grilled up 12 pounds of carne asada for today's ren faire feast. I reheated 5 pounds of Del Rio Carnitas. Everything else was my normal feast food.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Cinco de Mayo cocktail hour. 

IMG_7726.thumb.jpg.c2a7157057467b45811b23990a8694df.jpg

As mentioned above, Queso Flameado con Chorizo y Nopales, Guacamole and an El Diablo, all from Nopalito, accompanied by sorry, salty, store-bought chips. 

Multiply the El Diablo a few times and the concerns about the chips just disappear xD! 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

I grilled up 12 pounds of carne asada for today's ren faire feast. I reheated 5 pounds of Del Rio Carnitas. Everything else was my normal feast food.

How are the Del Rio Carnitas made, please? I've been reviewing the Carnitas topic, trying to decide where to start with a small pork shoulder roast I bought for the purpose. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

How are the Del Rio Carnitas made, please? I've been reviewing the Carnitas topic, trying to decide where to start with a small pork shoulder roast I bought for the purpose. 

Thank you for leading me to another eG rabbit hole with that Carnitas topic!  I usually make Establos carnitas.  They are made by going down the street to Establos Carniceria and ordering take-out xD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Smithy said:

It's not a recipe. Del Rio is a brand that Costco,  among others, carries.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 5/6/2018 at 6:09 PM, robirdstx said:

Is this the same as Del Real Carnitas?

Yes, it is Del Real. I've been buying it for enough years I don't pay attention to the name any more. My bad.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Either way, it relieved me not to find yet another well-respected carnitas recipe, when I was trying to sort through the possibilities for my first attempt. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 year later...

Normally, two weeks out would be a little early to start planning for me. But circumstances are different this year and what I make may very well come down to what's available to work with... so I'm getting an early start. My initial thought was carnitas tacos with homemade tortillas. Masa harina isn't gonna happen in time so the homemade tortillas are out which makes me want to say tacos are out. Other ideas right now include pambazos or enchiladas. If the enchiladas win out, I'm going to disappoint the purists because they'll be the enchiladas of my childhood. Seasoned ground beef wrapped in tortillas and baked in a pan covered in (homemade, which is not consistent with the childhood version) enchilada sauce and cheese. Possibly even a scattering of black olives. :P Maybe the arroz poblano and from-scratch refried pinto beans I have planned as sides will offset some of the audacity of the Americanized enchiladas? :D

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

... they'll be the enchiladas of my childhood.

My childhood enchiladas were corn tortillas dipped in sauce with a diced onion and cheese filling, rolled and put in a baking dish.  They were covered with sauce,  cheese, and sliced olives,  then baked.

I was once told by a co-worker that traditionally enchiladas were a meatless Friday dinner.  I have no idea if that's true or not.

I won't be making a complete Cinco de mayo meal, just carne asada and whatever sides strike me.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly traditional but we'll have Chile Relleno Casserole with sour cream made following the instructions on Bigger Bolder Baking.   And black beans from a can.  It will have to suffice.  Also the day our female Rottie turns 11...the longest lived Rottie we've ever had...and the 9th celebration since I fell backwards over our male Rottie, Morgan, and split open my head having to spend the entire night at ER waiting to see a doctor.  Hoping for a quiet celebrations.  

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

We will have tacos, chicken probably and Corona beer just to prove that not all things named "Corona" are evil.  I may type this message on my vintage Smith-Corona typewriter-----remember those?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

We ended up asking our newly-unemployed daughter over for Cinco de Mayo so now there's an actual menu: Carne Asada, Mexican rice using a recipe that my other daughter got from one of her Hispanic friends, black olives because both my grandson and I love 'em, home-made guacamole, and store-bought chips, possibly some canned re-fried beans. We will eat in a very casual fashion in our family room with a coffee table and TV trays. Her husband works swing so he can't be here but we'll send a plate home for him. Dessert will be whatever's in the freezer.

• Like 5

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

It looks like it's gonna be Nueve or Diez de Mayo for me this year. :D 

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

It looks like it's gonna be Nueve or Diez de Mayo for me this year. :D 

My previously scheduled Zoom happy hour has been pushed back a week so it will be Doce de Mayo for me. 
The delay won’t keep me from making at least a margarita today!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The delay won’t keep me from making at least a margarita today!

I could do that. I was thinking El Diablo but I forgot to grab ginger beer. ¬¬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

I could do that. I was thinking El Diablo but I forgot to grab ginger beer. ¬¬

today was the "Venture out to buy stuff day"  From the husband Ginger beer as the one I bought 2 weeks ago was not acceptable , Goslings (course he forgot to buy the Saranac brewed last weekend when he was up in Poughkeepsie).  

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites