• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sherry & Sherry Cocktails

weinoo

I just got this, SHERRY - A Modern Guide to The Wine World's Best-Kept (?) Secret with Cocktails and Recipes, from Amazon.

Looking forward to reading it, and learning a bit.  

I might make a few of the cocktails, too. Maybe this thread can be a bit of a repository for sherry cocktails?

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've seen that book all over the place - curious to hear what you think of it. Amazed there's no sherry thread....

I'm nearly done reading Imbibe! for the first time (new edition), and there are a lot of sherry cocktails in that I want to try out.

I submit my attempt to recreate the Palenque Sour from DC's Mockingbird Hill, a sherry-and-ham joint:

11001939_10100303947783371_6446896601507

Amontillado, mezcal, lemon, SS, dusting of nutmeg and crushed "smoked tea" (Lapsang, obviously).  I don't think my ratios were the same as what theirs is, but it's a delicious drink to tinker with.

Sherry drinks?

I'de go for the Barbed Wired cocktail: 3 measures vodka, one measure dry sherry. A teaspoon sweet vermouth and a teaspoon of pastis. Shake it all with ice and strain into a a cocktail glass.

Enjoy

Some people also add a dash of dry sherry to their Bloody Mary...

Stijn - Co-Founder of CocktailsAndShots

Check it out on http://www.cocktailsandshots.com

Upload your recipe and we'll promote your website automatically

Here's a good one  which I made the other night...The Up To Date...

1.5 rye

1.5 sherry (obviously, depending on the sherry chosen, this changes the profile of the drink A LOT. Try it with a fino or manzanilla if you like your cocktails really dry, an amontillado if you like them a little sweeter, or even an oloroso)

.25 Grand Marnier

2 dashes Angostura

Stirred.  Up.  I like a twist for garnish.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, BarinaCraft said:

Has anyone tried the Artist's Special? Its sort of a Scotch whisky sour that looks interesting.

This one? It looks interesting but I don't have any redcurrants or raspberries on hand (it's not really the season anymore). (Grenadine is suggested as an acceptable substitution, but I avoid the thing as much as I can!) I like @eje's idea to use a preserve instead of a syrup. But I am out of blended scotch too! Oops.

I made this one last week and it was quite yum.

McKittrick Old Fashioned

(Lieberman, Milk&Honey, 2011, from cocktail virgin website)

2 oz Bourbon
1/2 oz Pedro Ximenez Sherry
2 dash Mole Bitters

Build in a Double Old Fashioned glass, add a large ice cube, and stir to chill. Garnish with a cherry.

• Like 2

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

• 7 months later...

Enjoyed Misty Kalfoken's Streets of Gettysburg:

• 1 1/4 Lustau Dry Amontillado (La Garrocha)
  • 1 Rittenhouse
  • 1/2 Bénédictine
  • 1/4 Galliano Ristretto (Kahlua)
  • dash Angostura
  • orange twist

This was like a very interesting Old Fashioned. The nuttiness of sherry and Ritt played off each other well. 

gettysburg 1.png

• Like 2