• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martinez vs Negroni

My usual before dinner cocktail is a Manhattan. I've decided to venture outside my comfort zone tonight and try a Martinez or a Negroni. I was trying to decide between the 2, but now am thinking of a side by side comparison. 

I have multiple gins, I'm thinking Old Tom for the Martinez. Maybe Bulldog or St George for the Negroni?

Thoughts?

Annette

If you're a Manhattan person, a Martinez should be right up your alley. A Negroni, as nice as they are, not so much, though it's a great aperitif drink.

• Like 1

You could start with something like Beefeater as a "baseline" for both cocktails. Then branch out to more unusual gins such as St George dry rye.

I'd def say Beefeater for the Negroni,

For the Martinez, an Old Tom or even a genever would be lovely and bring it closer to Manhattan territory.

• Like 1

You could start with something like Beefeater as a "baseline" for both cocktails. Then branch out to more unusual gins such as St George dry rye.

Yes.

I'd def say Beefeater for the Negroni,

For the Martinez, an Old Tom or even a genever would be lovely and bring it closer to Manhattan territory.

Yes, too. 

And for the Negroni, I like Martini & Rossi for the sweet vermouth. Antica can overpower, and I like to taste the gin.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Ok, getting a late start here so I'm going with just the Martinez for the evening. For vermouth, I only have Antica or Cocchi di Torino. I've never tried the Cocchi so have no idea.

On researching I've found 3 different Martinez recipes. I'm kind of chuckling here-

First from Robert Hess 1 oz Gin, 2 oz Vermouth dash bitters 1/8 oz Maraschino liqueur

Then from PDT 1.5 oz Gin, 1.5 oz Vermouth, 2 dash bitters, 1/4 oz Marschino

From Liquid Intelligence 2 oz Gin, 1 oz Vermouth, 1 dash bitters, 1/4 oz Maraschino

Not sure which to try first :D. Maybe PDT as it's kind of in the middle.

Edited by Annette Marron Holbrook (log)

I ended up making the PDT version. I didn't want to open the bottle of Cocchi yet, so used the Antica. First go round I used Hayman's Old Tom Gin. Enjoyable but a bit sweet. Not sure why so the second attempt I switched to Bulldog Gin. I think the Old Tom combined with Antica upped the sweetness so the Bulldog version was more to my liking. I don't like the Bulldog by itself but do enjoy it in a cocktail. 

Annette

IMG_2622_zpshnpzsbhw.jpg

Edited by Annette Marron Holbrook (log)

Both of these drinks are lovely for pre-dinner!

Martinez is one of my comfort drinks. That thing I make when I don't want to think about what I'm making and just want to relax.

I also favor the PDT recipe and that 50/50 recipe makes for a lovely Gin&It too.

Definitely Cocchi Torino over CA for me as that CA vanilla dominates the gin. My go-to is Dolin rouge for this drink. Noilly works for me too. Hayman's, Ransom, or Malacca for gin. Geniver on occasion.

I'm not a fan of orange bitters in my Martinez though. Something about the orange and the maraschino just doesn't do it for me because I'm not bothered by a Gin&It with orange bitters. Most of the time I'll use Dr. Adam's Bokers. If I'm up for experimenting, I'll go with an aromatic bitters over a citrus type.

So very thirsty now....

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

My usual before dinner cocktail is a Manhattan. I've decided to venture outside my comfort zone tonight and try a Martinez or a Negroni. I was trying to decide between the 2, but now am thinking of a side by side comparison. 

I have multiple gins, I'm thinking Old Tom for the Martinez. Maybe Bulldog or St George for the Negroni?

Thoughts?

Annette

If you are of a mind to go well off the rails I would suggest for the Negroni ditching the gin altogether and go with Mezcal. Vida or Sombra works nicely. I also tend to sub Aperol for the Campari as well but either can work depending on your preference.

1.75 Mezcal

0.75 Aperol

1.00 Dolin Rouge

2 dashes Regans Orange bitters

Of course at this point it is no longer a Negroni. I don't know what it is, but for me at least I know it is good!

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

If you are of a mind to go well off the rails I would suggest for the Negroni ditching the gin altogether and go with Mezcal. Vida or Sombra works nicely. I also tend to sub Aperol for the Campari as well but either can work depending on your preference.

1.75 Mezcal

0.75 Aperol

1.00 Dolin Rouge

2 dashes Regans Orange bitters

Of course at this point it is no longer a Negroni. I don't know what it is, but for me at least I know it is good!

One book I have has a recipe combining tequila and Campari, called a Mexican Sal.  My friend and I tried it, then added chocolate bitters to it, which made it way nicer than we expected.

Edited by brinza (log)

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes