• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Swirl effect in cremeux cake that is freezable

Bojana

I am making cremeux based lemon cake and want to add blueberry swirl effect to it, made with blueberry coulis. What is my best bet to set the coulis so that it is freezable? I have tried with LM pectin but it was still flowing. Maybe I did not use enough pectin or did not get it to set right. 

Can someone advise, either on another gelling agent or how to do it right with pectin? I would really appreciate.

In theory pectin should work, I have a recipe for a chocolate cake that uses pectin in the glaze and it freezes and thaws very well.  What you want to avoid is syneresis - the weeping or leaking of water when it thaws out.  I just did a google search for pectin and syneresis and it came up with this page, it might help you?