• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Repurposing Dough Deemed Unsuitable for Bread

JoNorvelleWalker

I typically make up a batch of bread dough for four loaves at a time.  Most recently I seem to have left out the salt.  The resulting baguette was inedible...unless maybe I were starving.  I even tried eating some along with salty Roquefort.  Which didn't help.

I'd love suggestions as to how I could repurpose my dough.  I'm thinking maybe pizza but I don't want to throw good ingredients after bad.

Thoughts?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bake it as is, then turn into croutons? Bake, then use for a panzanella or fattoush?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Bake it as is, then turn into croutons? Bake, then use for a panzanella or fattoush?

Thanks!  I had never heard of panzanella or fattoush.  Panzanella sounds more practical.  I may give it a try.

• Like 1

Panzanella it was tonight.  I can't say it was a good experience.  I used my leftover half loaf of "bread", nice tomatoes, and sliced red onion.  Dressed with lots of olive oil and wine vinegar.  Accompanied by quality mozzarella, prosciutto and salami.

Everything was lovely except the "bread".  It was so dry and flavorless it sucked the life out of the other ingredients.  Even a lot of soave couldn't help.

That's surprising, but thanks for the information. I'll remember that the bread's quality matters in panzanella!

OK, here are more ideas:

- bake as is, then dice, toss with oil and seasonings (including salt), and toast for croutons;

- bake as is, then whizz into bread crumbs that can be seasoned at will;

- make a panade (I like the recipe from Zuni cafe) although it may be just as much a flop as the panzanella, for the same reasons.

Lisa may have a better idea, though: work salt into the dough, or make something small like pretzels to be coated with salt later. Could you make crackers with it, or pita?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It is flour, water and yeast. Ditch it before you waste any more good food trying to rescue something that is not worth rescuing.

Edited because of course there was no salt in it!

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It is flour, water and yeast. Ditch it before you waste any more good food trying to rescue something that is not worth rescuing.

Edited because of course there was no salt in it!

Your advice is sound...but it was expensive flour and for right now I am out of it.

Your advice is sound...but it was expensive flour and for right now I am out of it.

Even so if you keep on putting good food to bad it only makes the flour even more expensive. Pour another mai tai or a few glasses of MR and thank whatever gods there be that it was bread and not a ribeye steak! We learn little from our successes but much from our failures. I am so prone to leaving out the salt that I put the salt pig as close to the dough as I can get it in hopes I will remember to put it in!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fried dough...butter and salt while frying.  :smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I can report that after sitting in the refrigerator overnight, the panzanella (which by this time was essentially just flavored bread, as I had picked out all the onion and tomato bits last night) was better.  It made a satisfactory late lunch.

• Like 2

Tonight I used some of my defective dough and baked a Tuscan bread.  This a was actually rather good, in a tasteless Tuscan way.  Quite seriously the bread looked and tasted everything I knew of Tuscan bread.  I served the Tuscan bread with a suitably savory Moroccan tagine.  It just worked.

• Like 1

Why do you resist adding salt to the dough?  It's not hard to do.

Once the dough is mixed it is too late to add salt.  Adding salt now would only make it salty.

Tonight I used some of this saltless dough for pizza.  Not perfect but more often than not my pizza is too salty, and this was not.  Most of the salt was from the anchovies.

Quite tasty although the oven is a mess.  May have something to do with being a few hours past sober.  Not sure.  No matter, I baked on a pizza stone in an hour and a half preheated oven set on maximum temperature, then broiled per Modernist Cuisine.  For once I did not burn the pizza nor set off the smoke alarms.  Quite nice actually.

Saison du Buff goes so well with pizza.  Not to mention the bottle of Stone IPA.

I ate the whole thing in one sitting.  Which may be a first.