• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

OMG I want this knife!

Special K

jackson Pollock' dribbles as sought after and valuable, not because they are dribbles, nor art,  but because they are J.P.'s

High Craftmanship are they ?   :blink:

these knives, form and ascetics aside, are missing the last 40 %,  if not more,  of the knife making craft that moves Utility into working

beauty.

however, Id like to see the metal-worker do well.  why not ? maybe the craft will improve w time.

lots and lots of disposable income out there controlled by Dolts. hope she gets a piece.  I mean that well.

if she doesn't someone else will.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

jackson Pollock' dribbles as sought after and valuable, not because they are dribbles, nor art,  but because they are J.P.'s

High Craftmanship are they ?   :blink:

these knives, form and ascetics aside, are missing the last 40 %,  if not more,  of the knife making craft that moves Utility into working

beauty.

however, Id like to see the metal-worker do well.  why not ? maybe the craft will improve w time.

lots and lots of disposable income out there controlled by Dolts. hope she gets a piece.  I mean that well.

if she doesn't someone else will.

I think Ms. Miller will soon have to come to a decision:

A) To spend tiome and energy finding a market for her level of workmanship on knives meant to be used

Or

B) To adjust her level of workmanship to the same level as many other knife makers selling their wares at $800 a pop

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These are artisan objects. They don't have any of the qualities I look for in a working knife.

Both camps have always existed in the knife world, although the artisans themselves never seem to make the distinction. I have the same reaction to some local knives that have caught the attention of chefs. They are beautiful objects which don't reflect a especially deep understanding of knife performance. There are ugly, $60 gyutos from Japan that will outperform them in every way.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

what a dummie I am.  I had not noticed the OP ref to the NYTimes article and I was late reading that section, including the article about these knives

I recommend it.

" OMG "  a built in Cheese Grater !  right there on your Knife !  think of all the time you would save !

I'm on the side of the knife aficionados in this debate. I'll choose usefulness and craft over artsy looks every time.

This knife would be best for a movie remake of "Dial M for Murder." In the remake, the betrayed wife would be in the kitchen when the hired killer arrives. She grabs the closest weapon at hand (it's this knife) and she does him in. A showy knife for high drama. Also, $800 is nothing in a big movie budget. :wink:

• Like 2