• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

When I got home it was too dark for picking okra.  So to start it's ti' punch, simply l'Esprit and half a lovely lime.  No syrup.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Here was my attempt at keeping the ABV lower than a typical sour the other night by cutting with sherry:

1.25 oz Junipero

1 oz fino sherry

.75 oz lime

.25 oz Giffard Pamplemousse

.25 oz Cynar

.25 oz orgeat

Dash angostura

Shake, strain, coupe.

It wasn't exactly harmonious, but I found myself wanting another one, go figure. I need to explore more sherry/orgeat combos, I enjoyed those flavors together.

I was playing around with fresh herbs in cocktails the other night, and I think I may have hit on a winner with this one.

1.5 Oz Mezcal (I used Illegal)

0.75 Oz Lemon Juice

0.5 Oz Cointreau

2 ds Fee's Rhubarb Bitters

8ish leaved of fresh basil.

Did not bother muddling, as I feel a solid shake with ice does the tricky quite nicely. Something about this combo worked really well.

• Like 1

Saw this on Kindred and it seemed appropriate for the weather. It's nice enough, although the meatiness of Millstone 100 trounces over my so-so homemade allspice dram and, shit, even the Averna. I like Millstone so much I can live with that, though. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

European Vacation

1.75 oz Plymouth

.5 oz Kalani

.5 oz 1:1 simple

.5 oz lime

.25 oz Strega or Yellow Chartreuse

1 cube of pineapple

Shake, double strain, coupe

The herbal liqueur acts stands in for the mint in this tropical-ish drink but obviously adds some different characteristics as well. You could probably bump the simple down to a scant .5 or maybe even .25 (depending on the tartness of your pineapple), these proportions taste balanced to me given the the style of drink I was going for but YMMV.

Edited by sbumgarner (log)

Rafa's Rubber Soul

mbj0hsAl.jpg

Fascinating interaction of flavors including sweet orange and chicory coffee. I suspect my Kahlua is more syrupy than the spec'd Tia Maria? though I have a high tolerance for that. 

I haven't tried a bourbon-based Revolver which this riffs on. But I love the Bombardier, another Rafa creation with rye, vermouth, and a lemon twist.

• Like 2

Inaugurated the just-arrived Koriko tins with a Clover Club riff made with homemade rhubarb syrup.

iEZhhbvl.jpg

This egg-white foam was an order of magnitude better that the stuff I made with my previous shaker. Which seems goofy to say, because the physics of the new one really can't be that much different than the old one...

For me they replaced a cheap Absolut promotional set that was a glass and a metal tin coated with thin foam insulation. So the main adjustment I have to make is getting used to how cold my hands get!

I am not ashamed to use oven mitts, myself.

• Like 1

I was playing around with fresh herbs in cocktails the other night, and I think I may have hit on a winner with this one.

1.5 Oz Mezcal (I used Illegal)

0.75 Oz Lemon Juice

0.5 Oz Cointreau

2 ds Fee's Rhubarb Bitters

8ish leaved of fresh basil.

Did not bother muddling, as I feel a solid shake with ice does the tricky quite nicely. Something about this combo worked really well.

So, inspired by this (and working with what I had on hand), I kinda flipped the rhubarb and orange components:

1.5 oz. mezcal (Vida)

.75 oz. lemon juice

.5 oz. rhubarb syrup

2 ds Fee's orange bitters

8 lv basil

In my variation there may be too much tartness, but the underlaying vegetal/herbaceous plays a nice counterpoint. Grilled grapefruit flavors. Next time a little muddling maybe. And scaling the whole thing up--it went too quickly!

Thanks for the idea!

• Like 2

Speaking of mezcal, I guess I've come up with a cocktail based on stuff I had lying around. Made it twice now.

Fidencio Mezcal

homemade tepache

lime

2:1 Demerara syrup

Bittermens Xocolatl Mole Bitters

Swizzled w shaved/crushed ice or blended w ice

The first time (a couple months ago) I jiggered it, so prob something like 2, 2, .5, .25, plus the bitters. Last night I didn't measure and it was not sweet enough and too tart (and also too smoky, I put in a lot of mezcal) 

Either way, it's the basis for a great drink

Somehow I may have lost count of the number of wineglasses of cognac added to my Mississippi punch tonight.  (The arrack and rum I'm pretty sure I measured right.)

skJwMdql.jpg

Last night at Parlour in Minneapolis, really enjoyed this Sound Effects (gin, roasted beets, orgeat, lemon, strega, dill, bolivar bitters). Behind that is my friend's American Beauty (gin, cucumber vodka, lillet blanc, petal & thorn vermouth, yellow chartreuse, bolivar bitters), which was also very nice.

• Like 3

Browsing through the new version of Wondrich's Imbibe reminded me of one of my favorite classic families, the "Improved {base spirit of choice} Cocktail":

2oz base spirit, 1/2 tsp simple, 1/4 tsp Maraschino, dash absinthe, 2 dashes aromatic bitters, expressed lemon.

Last night I made one with Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol anejo and it was quite lovely.

• Like 1

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

Browsing through the new version of Wondrich's Imbibe reminded me of one of my favorite classic families, the "Improved {base spirit of choice} Cocktail":

2oz base spirit, 1/2 tsp simple, 1/4 tsp Maraschino, dash absinthe, 2 dashes aromatic bitters, expressed lemon.

Last night I made one with Hacienda De Chihuahua Sotol anejo and it was quite lovely.

A nice aperitif with a dry sherry as the base. Just omit the simple. 

Edited by Rafa (log)
  • Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

A rep for New England Distilling, a 4-person operation out of Maine, tasted me on their full product line: a gin (malty, complex, crisp, reminiscent of Green Hat out of DC), a rye (complexly malty and beer-ish, but still far too young), and a rum. The rum took me by surprise: I wasn't expecting much, certainly not a rich nose full of toffee, caramel, and roasted sugar matched to a lush, dry, whiskyish palate. They slow-ferment Brazilian molasses at low temperature with brewer's yeast for about a week, and distill slowly in copper pot stills. The rep described it as colonial-style, which I took to mean Medford. It's not mind-blowing; it's just good, solid, honest, un-sugared rum, which is rare enough on the market, let alone from the continental US. Promising stuff; I hope they release more, and that other US distilleries follow suit. 

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Still trying to figure out this sherry stuff. Thought I had bought an amontillado, but I actually had a manzanilla. So searching Kindred Cocktails for recipes, came across Rafa's Old Spanish, which has an odd back-story you can read at that link (it's a craft version of an absurd drink that was an inside joke involving a couple of TV shows). 

pSGIhLwl.jpg

Easy drinking and pleasant. Reminded me of an Aperol Spritz, but more subtle. Or less exciting?