• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

Audrey Saunders' Re-animator

• La Favorite Blanc (Rhum JM)
  • Lemon Hart 151 (Hamilton 151)
  • Ginger beer
  • Demerara syrup
  • Green Chartreuse
  • Lime juice
  • Angostura bitters
  • Cholula hot sauce (Tabasco)
  • Nutmeg

Nice drink on a hot day, though the rums get buried. Certainly doesn't taste as high-proof as it must be. 

reanimator.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of the holiday, I tried the frozen G&T recipe featured over on Serious Eats.  I'd been meaning to try the Small Hand tonic syrup and figured this was as good an excuse as any to pick up a bottle.

IMG_3255.jpg

I expected this to be a fail as I consider carbonation to be a key ingredient in a G&T.  For a slushy drink, this was surprisingly and unmistakably a G&T.

3 ounces Beefeaters (instead of Hendrick's)
1 ounce Small Hand Foods tonic syrup
0.5 ounce 2X simple syrup 
2 dashes orange bitters
1.5 ounces fresh juice

Mix the above and chill in freezer for 1 hr, then into the blender with plenty of ice. This makes 2 drinks of the size pictured.  I drank both of them. It's a holiday.  

• Like 3

Following dinner I had a generous bowl of iSi expressed cherry juice and one lorn carbonated cherry left over.  So of course it was a Balaklava Special No. I.

Charles H. Baker Jr adds:  "A dash of any red syrup like grenadine is optional and pretty."

Indeed.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Tried the Pineapple Negroni with

1 oz Pineapple Rum

1 oz Contratto Bitter

1/2 oz Alessio Vermouth Chinato

1/2 oz Dolin dry vermouth

Very nice. Not sure how it would compare to a more traditional Negroni template with the Pineapple Rum. The pineapple is pretty subtle with all the other flavors. Need to try the Pineapple Sazarac idea with Green Chartreuse.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I was graced with a two mai tai lime tonight from the back of the refrigerator, so there was not much else to do but a second mai tai.*

*Though be assured I gave most serious consideration to the construction of a Crafty and Elusive Elk.  However that would have required a bit of planning.  And turning on the light in the bedroom.

• Like 1

Before bed:  a widow's kiss.  This time with yellow V.E.P., Benedictine, Angostura, and Laird's 7 1/2.  Served in a Baccarat Champagne flute, so sue me.

Allie Elizabeth Sleeping

• Lustau Pedro Ximénez Sherry (El Candado)
  • Dolin dry vermouth
  • Smith & Cross rum
  • Del Maguey Vida mezcal
  • Regans' orange bitters

Complex and fascinating drink, I guess not surprising since it's made of complex and fascinating ingredients. 

Enjoying this first bottle of PX sherry. It comes with a cute little padlock on the bottle top! Tastes like fig/date concentrate.

allieelizabethsleeping.png

• Like 3

It's too horribly hot for rum.  Not that it is too horribly hot to drink rum, mind you, but too horribly hot for me to make a mai tai.  I made do with Methode Rotuts.  But in my delirium I saw I'd used the silver cylinders.  Oops.  I pressurized with two more cylinders of CO2.  Vapors are color coded for a reason.

Still, a liter of freezer temperature MR is a liter of freezer temperature MR.

The best we could expect today was 15C/59F, and that's high for the time of year. But a Mezcal Martini is still pleasant by the fire.

[Host's note:  This topic forms part of an extended conversation that has grown too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added hosts' note (log)
  • Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory