• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

Just spotted a drink at Cocktail Virgin Slut that I want to try. I'm a big fan of the Eeyore's Requiem so a drink called Winnie the Pooh easily caught my attention. They look to be almost identical with the Pooh replacing Eeyore's gin with rum and going a little lighter on the Campari and Fernet Branca and heavier on the orange bitters. My question is, I don't have Banks 5 Island rum and don't know anything about it, so what would be a good substitute? The only white rums I have are Wray & Nephew overproof and Havana Club anejo blanco. I have a fairly decent selection of non-whites if one of those would work better.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Just spotted a drink at Cocktail Virgin Slut that I want to try. I'm a big fan of the Eeyore's Requiem so a drink called Winnie the Pooh easily caught my attention. They look to be almost identical with the Pooh replacing Eeyore's gin with rum and going a little lighter on the Campari and Fernet Branca and heavier on the orange bitters. My question is, I don't have Banks 5 Island rum and don't know anything about it, so what would be a good substitute? The only white rums I have are Wray & Nephew overproof and Havana Club anejo blanco. I have a fairly decent selection of non-whites if one of those would work better.

See here. ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

See here. ;)

Not sure how I missed that one. I could have tried this a long time ago. Your sub is a no-go for me though. No Plantation and no batavia arrack. My rum selection isn't at all great, just good for where I live. Other than the two I already mentioned above, I have Appleton Extra, Barbancourt 3-Star, Coruba, Cruzan Black Strap, Doorly's XO, El Dorado 12 year, Flor de Cana 7 year, Goslings Black Seal, Lemon Hart 151, Lemon Hart 80, Mount Gay Extra Old, Smith & Cross and Kracken. Seven of those (plus the Wray & Nephew mentioned above) aren't available here, they required the help of others or, in the case of the Lemon Hart 151, some creative finagling to obtain. So that's what I have to work with.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

@Tri2Cook Not sure either! Lol.

Use a white rum - your Havana Club anejo blanco would work great, and add a touch of something for spice - allspice dram, or falernum (a barspoon or less). That'd be a decent substitute.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
minor editing (log)

7 minutes ago, FrogPrincesse said:

@Tri2Cook Not sure either! Lol.

Use a white rum - your Havana Club anejo blanco would work great, and add a touch of something for spice - allspice dram, or falernum (a barspoon or less). That'd be a decent substitute.

I'll give that a shot. I have homemade falernum and allspice dram in the cabinet right now. Both are more on the high proof side than standard, I don't use them often and wanted them to last on the shelf, but they taste good.

A bunch of recent classics from the past couple of weeks.

10:3:2 Daiquiri with Dillon rhum agricole, lime juice, JM cane syrup. I really like this rhum agricole. It's cheap and very flavorful, high proof too (55). I think @Rafa recommended it a while back (thanks!).

24492166005_a022e6cc30_z.jpg

2:1 Martini with Sipsmith London dry gin, Noilly Prat extra dry vermouth, Regan / Fee Brothers / Angostura orange bitters. I am still completely in love with this London dry gin. It is pretty much perfect for a Martini.

24075989949_23decbdaf4_z.jpg

Norwegian Wood (Jeff Morgenthaler) with Krogstad aquavit, Daron XO calvados, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth, yellow Chartreuse, Angostura bitters. A very nice winter drink. I liked it a lot with the Gran Lusso. It has a bitter edge that was nice with the caraway notes of the aquavit.

24427996335_255a3ae144_z.jpg

Toronto (David A. Embury with ratios from PDT) with Rittenhouse 100 rye whiskey, barrel-aged Fernet Francisco, demerara syrup. I did it up but maybe it's better on a large rock... Still debating this. Also which Fernet do I like best in this... That's a good question!

24380082126_211d583fe9_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse
formatting (log)
  • Like 2

Old [expletive]' Fashioned.

image.jpeg

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I cannot understand while after but two mai tais I cannot walk straight, while Richard Nixon, our former president of somewhat blessed memory was seemingly unaffected.

It must take practice.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

59 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I cannot understand while after but two mai tais I cannot walk straight, while Richard Nixon, our former president of somewhat blessed memory was seemingly unaffected.

It must take practice.

I suspect maybe you make yours a tad stronger than most people? Also, sadly, the ability to metabolize alcohol is directly related to weight and sex (men having an automatic advantage).

Ocean Side (Erick Castro) with Tanqueray London dry gin, lime juice, simple syrup, Berg & Hauck celery bitters, salt, mint.

Better than I remembered! Actually super nice, tart, crisp, gin-forward obviously, and a touch savory.

24719173945_d175b94823_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Double Dutch. Genever, curaçao, pear eau de vie, lemon, honey, ginger, orange bitters. A loose takeoff of our menu's Barnum Effect (genever, curaçao, lemon, pistachio, Branca Menta, orange bitters). Fun.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

After my mai tai I was still waiting for tonight's Ayocote Morado to cook.  It's cold but this weekend the temperatures are plummeting.  So I thought it would be an excellent occasion for a margarita while I can:   Rancho Los Fresnos 2013, 2:1:1.

Don't know why I don't do this more often.

A recent Manhattan with Michter's straight rye, Martini Gran Lusso, Berg & Hauck / The Bitter Truth old time aromatics bitters, French brandied cherry.

The old time aromatic bitters seem more spice-forward than the Angostura which has more caramel/warm notes in comparison.

I really like the Michter's, it's great for mixing and fabulous for sipping too.

24856284561_4d509a9560_b.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Typo (log)
  • Like 1

Long time listener, first time caller ...

No, really, I haven't posted in a while. Someone, somewhere might be awfully concerned that I've started to look after my health and have begun to abstain. Not wanting such noxious lies spread about me, I've decided it's time to post a boozy update.

These are in no order at all. These were not consumed in one sitting. Or were they? >_> <_< >_>

Negroni.thumb.jpg.78ca96a3e7191d2aa06741

A Negroni.

BoilermakerSmokehouseALocalPorterPlusTal

A boilermarker. Talisker 10 and, er, a local porter. Smoked? Maybe. I don't know. I have a feeling it might be Feral's Smoked Porter. They mix it up. The bacon garnish is a standard with the 'Devil's Smokehouse' pairing, even though the beer changes. This was consumed at Boilermaker House in Melbourne. I am rather fond of that place. Whisky? Beer? A good chance you'll hear Tom Waits, Creedance and John Lee Hooker within a period of 20 minutes? 

Quill.thumb.jpg.e62c48017964fe0e64efea9d

Quill. An equal parts Negroni with a quarter ounce of absinthe. Not a fan. Well, I don't dislike it, but it's the kind of riff that's inferior to the original. It's like listening to Scarlett Johansson attempt to cover Tom Waits songs. Or, to make use of a rather charming Australianism, 'Yeah .. Nah ...'

56bf03b9225c8_MintRickeyandSarsaparillaS

A couple drinks from the local branch Dinner by Heston Blumenthal: the Mint Rickey and Sarsaparilla Shrub. The latter was nicely gin-forward. Made me think of The Dead Rabbit Drinks Manual.

56bf03ab9cff6_CiderGimletandBloodMary.th

More from Dinner: the Cider Gimlet and a Bloody Mary. I remember, once upon a time, asking Adam George and Rafa and others if the Bloody Mary could ever be a truly lovely cocktail. The answer was no, no, no. I've since learn to accept a well-crafted Bloody Mary that uses good quality ingredients (and loses the boring vodka in favour of blanco tequila, if I'm the one mixing) is, at least, drinkable ... but this was something else. Would a purist consider it a Bloody Mary? Obviously not ... but those guys are no fun, anyway.

MyRiffOnJeffBerrysPlanters.thumb.jpg.7fb

A riff on the Planter's Punch from Berry's Potions. Not really a Planter's at all--will not fight anyone on that point. The bitters served as garnish. I'd just bought them (at Australian prices!) and was looking for an excuse to do something with them. And, yeah, a split base.

ShantyTown.thumb.jpg.9e6507684fa7734eef1

Death & Co. mixing at its simplest: Shanty Town. Workable.

PukaPukaPunch.jpg.5d61a5ba7c7701fdad9f97

More Berry. Puka Puka Punch. Worked with what I had, rum-wise. I'm sure Jeff will forgive me.

MeetingHousePunch.thumb.jpg.7466e32eee5f

Berry again. Meeting House Punch.

DiamondsWindshield.thumb.jpg.ad84730615b

Diamonds on my Windshield. Like tears from Heaven ...

Duboudreau.thumb.jpg.f33685eb12440328618

Duboudreau. Rather pleasing. Would revisit.

Daiquiri.thumb.jpg.3f4e7dcfc682896eb5f91

A Daiquiri. It's rather warm down here, after all.

56bf03ad0b5e0_CobrasFangDandC.jpg.e53370

Cobra's Fang. Death & Co. Yeah, no overproof rum. I maybe added a bit more Havana Club. Shoot me.

AfricanFlower.thumb.jpg.df236cf4da9027e4

A couple drinks from one of my most very favouritest most favourite bars, Romeo Lane. They're too busy making killer drinks in a pleasant setting to worry about silly things like useful websites. The African Flower is in the foreground. Bourbon and, er, some kind of amari. Lucano, from memory. Forget what my partner ordered. Something with strawberries in it.

HeavenIsAPlaceThisIsThePlace.thumb.jpg.0

Heaven is a Place/This is the Place. Stupidly long name. Pretty banging drink.

• Like 8

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Welcome back to Drinks, Chris.  I think I speak for all of us regulars in saying you've redeemed yourself.

Glad you iked Diamonds on my Windshield.  It is a bit of a cracker.

The Duboudreau sounds like something I'd like - that might be tomorrow night's treat.  I think somebody should hurry up and add it to Kindred, though ...

Mine won't have Dubonnet, but there are one or two alternatives in my collection.  

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Betsy. Smith & Cross, Ransom Old Tom, port, lime, ginger, Ango bitters, allspice spray on the mint. I forgot the yellow Chartreuse from my original recipe, and you know what? I like it better.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Everything is better with yellow Chartreuse.

Finishing dinner with a glass of V.E.P. now.

Edit:  achingly beautiful picture though, Rafa.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
rapture (log)
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2016 at 8:39 PM, lesliec said:

The Duboudreau sounds like something I'd like - that might be tomorrow night's treat.  I think somebody should hurry up and add it to Kindred, though ...

Oh look - somebody did.

And not bad, either.  I used Rittenhouse 100 (most recipes seem not to specify the rye, but there's at least one out there that says Rittenhouse), and Cocchi di Torino for the vermouth.  It was interesting to drink.  The first taste was smooth rye, then later a little Fernet, then finishing with a surprisingly strong burst of lemon.  I wasn't aware of the St Germain, but it must have formed the background to it all.  Very pleasant and I'll do it again, but I might see if I agree with Jamie Boudreau, who thinks it should be orange rather than lemon zest.  Or maybe this is one of those cases we talked about here recently where the zest should be squeezed then discarded, not left in the glass.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Midori Sour.

Oh, and another Betsy.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

My spec is

1 oz Midori

1 oz Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength

1 oz Lime juice

1/2 oz Simple syrup

egg white

Dry shake, shake, strain, up.

Our house spec at The Up & Up (yes, we have a house Midori Sour, because we love good things) is slightly different, with a blend of our own lime cordial and lemon juice.

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com