• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

Dealer's choice, shaken, by Mr. Jimmy (or Jimbo) Palumbo. His Bleeding Heart: Rhum JM blanc, Macchu Pisco, St. George pear eau de vie, and St. Liz allspice dram shaken with lime juice, poured on the rock, and then drizzled with honey and dashed with Ango and Peychaud's. This does things with flavor my tongue has never known before.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

A cursory perusal of Instagram informs me that I am far below the average when it comes to photographing drinks at The Up & Up.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

In the middle of offering drink mixing services to my New Year's Eve party crew, I got challenged to make something of the most random bottles at the back of their liquor cabinet: some strange dark rum from Hawaii (that smelled a bit like Kahlua) and some "potable ginger vinegar." Threw in some simple in a more-or-less daiquiri template and added a lime wheel, and I have to say it turned out pretty good!

Happy new year!

IMG_1064.JPG

• Like 4

From last night, I needed something aromatic and strong after a very long day. It delivered. :)

The Warning Label (Maks Pazuniak in beta cocktails) with Lemon Hart 151 demerara rum, Cynar, Martini Gran Lusso vermouth (substituted for Punt E Mes), Campari rinse, Regan's orange bitters, Boy Drinks World grapefruit bitters

24141346441_b940aebe0e_z.jpg

• Like 1

This gentleman enjoyed his Gin Fix.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

The food looks delicious.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

The Art of Choke tonight:

ArtofChoke.thumb.jpg.a615b4b2da1fb6f5c79

Very nice on a warm summer evening out on the deck.

Bonus: I've managed to create something that resembles Cynar, so that was in this.  It's slightly less sweet and slightly more alcoholic than the original, but I'm pretty happy with it.

• Like 3

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

My own Blood Simple, after a few sips have dissolved its halo of bitters...

And some Spiders from Mars. RIP.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Did it again -- my Mississippi punch -- I neglected to add sugar.  A bracing drink indeed on a frigid winter's evening.  Being a wimp I poured a float of feste's gomme.  Can't get good bar help these days it seems.

Speaking of feste, I need to place my semiannual orgeat order for a case or two and noticed she now offers passion fruit syrup.  I am tempted.  Has anybody tried it?

Edit:  the gomme made the punch far too sweet.  So I topped up the tumbler with brandy, rum, and arrack.  And a little ice.  Such as would fit.  Now my punch is a bit too boozy.  Could use more lemon.  Much more lemon.  But at least it's not too sweet.

The other day I mixed up some fish house punch and it came out just right.  Don't know what the problem is with Mississippi.

But soon it may not matter much.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
inebriation (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Rhum with a Vieux.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Rafa, your cocktail names are getting worse.  Keep it up.  Just don't get carréd away.

Our treat tonight was a variant on our old favourite the Tolkien, made this time with some of my extremely fragrant Buddha's Hand liqueur in place of the tangelo.  That stuff is well capable of going head to head with Smith & Cross.

• Like 1

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

An Eclipse (Leo Robitschek): 

2 oz El Tesoro Añejo (Cazadoras reposado, because that's what I had)

3⁄4 oz Aperol

3⁄4 oz Cherry Heering

3⁄4 oz lemon juice

Vida rinse, lemon twist.

Joins the Gilroy as a favorite use of Cherry Heering. Both of those avoid the medicinal-cough-drop effect that sometimes accompanies cherry liqueur drinks in my experience. The mezcal rinse gets a little lost in this but this is an accessible and tasty one.

IMG_1844.jpg

• Like 1

To me, an Eclipse is basically what a Blood & Sand should be. (Although curiously, I haven't found it to work very well with Scotch.) 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Amidst an acute shortage of orgeat and mint, tonight's second beverage is a knickerbocker.  Had been a few months.  As nice as is a knickerbocker, it will ne'er replace the mai tai, I predict.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

In an ill-conceived moment of failed creativity, I thought I'd try a Ransom Old Tom Martini. The spice in the Ransom blew away any hope of balance, so I added Campari, for a sort of Martini/Dry Negroni variation. I'm liking it.

1.5 oz Ransom Old Tom

.75 oz Gin (Beefeater)

.5 dry vermouth (Dolin)

.5 Campari

Probably a big lemon peel would be nice. Next time.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

1 hour ago, EvergreenDan said:

... a sort of Martini/Dry Negroni variation ...

A Martoni?  Or has that been done already?

Maybe Negrini, but that doesn't feel right.

My eG Foodblog