• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

That sounds great. What ingredients did you use?

Punt e Mes, Pasquet, Millstone 100, Benedictine. Ango plus a 'small dash' each of Bitter Truth Creole and Peychaud's, as I was using Death and Co. specs.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Tragically I seem to have run out of Cointreau.  So it's FP Dry Curacao in my white mai tai for tonight.  Not terrible but the substitution doesn't really work.  Quite sad.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I confess I have never tried it.  I thought Creole Shrubb would be more similar to FP than to Cointreau.  But my Clement purveyor could probably get it if I asked nicely.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Great garnish.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

This is something I'm working on. I need to make the orange syrup more orangey and possibly bump the mescal up a touch.

Salt & Pepper Margarita

1 black pepper infused tequila

.5  mescal

.75 lime

.75 orange & jalapeno syrup

12092438_615020983671_1993013672_n.jpg?o

Excuse the terrible photo, I haven't found my camera charger since I moved house.

Playing with my new yellow chartreuse tonight. Where else start with this bottle but a Widow's Kiss.This was a lovely, mild, autumnal herbal cocktail. Nothing earthshaking, but very pleasant. Then I tried an Auteur Cocktail from Bittermans website. This is a blockbusters. I can taste all the ingredients, and none of them. Very smooth, utterly complex, I could drink these all the time.

• Like 1

Had a Diamondback using the original yellow chartreuse recipe (HW Double Rye, Lairds 100 proof brandy) at a bar where we were reviewing cocktails for an upcoming private whiskey dinner and really enjoyed it even though it is a bit sweet. Nice after dinner option with a bit less proof than with the green. The green variant is good as well but certainly different. I agree with reducing the yellow chartreuse a bit to keep the sweetness down.

Interesting bit of history on the cocktail here.

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

A few Matthew Webb Gimlets:

2 oz Tanqueray

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/2 oz Plymouth Sloe Gin

1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse (I used MOFS)

1/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice, strain into a chilled coupe, and top with 4 drops Angostura.

Thus fortified, one might (theoretically) swim the English Channel.

I tried this over the weekend with my new bottle of yellow chartreuse.  Tasty and pretty:

shortgimlet.jpg

But it was really hot outside so I poured it into a tall glass over ice and topped it with some sparkling water.  Tasty, pretty and refreshing:

tallgimlet.jpg

There are more yellow Chartreuse ideas in the Chartreuse thread amongst others. I like the Daisy de Santiago and the Chien Chaud that pair it with rum, the Alaska that pairs it wth gin, Death & Co's Coin Toss, the Greenpoint which is a killer Manhattan variation, The Naked and Famous with mezcal, the Norwegian Wood with aquavit and applejack, etc, etc...

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2

I tried a bit of the new 70-proof Cynar yesterday. It tastes, well, like Cynar, with more forward alcohol and a bit less perceptible sweetness (while the proof went up, the rest of the recipe, including the amount of sugar, is untouched, the Campari rep told me). It will make a good base for drinks, but I suspect most of it will end up going into shots. 

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

image.jpg1_zpsm8bu5eu5.jpg

Fancy Free. Death specs.

image.jpg2_zpsb3fkzt5c.jpg

An unnamed experiment: a julep based on equal parts and rapadura syrup. I think the sweetener clashed with the spirits. Rethinking the garnish, too.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

image.jpg1_zpsxthpfvcc.jpg

A rare original. WIP. Darkness at Pegu. Lighter, sweeter, needs a gutsier gin.

1.5oz gin (Four Pillars), .75oz blood orange liqueur, .75oz ruby grapefruit juice, 2 dashes of Angostura. Shake. Campari-rinsed coupe.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out a Louanalao and it was delicious! Muddled strawberry, Plantation 3-star rum, Campari, homemade allspice dram, lime juice, cane syrup, garnished with orange and strawberry. My strawberry garnish was too sad to photograph, but this was a yummy crowd-pleaser. Grapefruit flavors from the Campari and citrus, nice cinnamon/clove spice from the dram.

• Like 1

I picked up a bottle of the St. George Raspberry Brandy. It's really funky in the nose, a little briny tasting, the raspberry flavor and aroma is there but marries nicely with the other flavors going on, it should lead to some interesting experiments. Because of that funk I thought it might pair nicely with Wray and Nephew and tried this Sidecar riff out.

1.5 oz St. George Raspberry Brandy

.5 oz W&N

.75 oz lemon

.75 oz PF Dry Curacao

teaspoon of raspberry jam

2 drops of salt

Shake/strain/coupe

I liked this, the touch of jam helped bring out the raspberry flavor that might have been lost otherwise. When the drink was ice cold it seemed almost a touch too dry, but as it warmed up the subtle sweetness crept in to balance it all out. Anywhere between a teaspoon and a 1/4 oz of 1:1 simple wouldn't be a bad addition, depending on your tastes.

Edited by sbumgarner (log)
  • Like 1

1 oz Ango

1 oz rye

1 oz simple

1 dash absinthe

Orange twist

Awesome. I think this would work well as a flip with a nutmeg garnish—even with an equal part of simple, the ango is pretty astringent, though the twist and absinthe help a lot with that.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Another one of our man Rafa's last night - the Werewolf of London:

Werewolf.jpg

Aquavit, Gran Classico, mezcal and Amontillado sherry with a lemon twist.  About as far as you can get from a pina colada at Trader Vic's, but unusual and delicious.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

GWAR Williams

1 oz Poire Williams

1/2 oz Ardbeg

1/2 oz Sorel liqueur

1/2 oz Lemon juice

1/2 oz Rosemary syrup

1 1/2 oz Pear cider

1 pinch Nutmeg (as garnish)

Sometimes you come up with a name before the rest of the drink. Sometimes the drink even works. 

• Like 4

DrunkLab.tumblr.com