• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

(it's a craft version of an absurd drink that was an inside joke involving a couple of TV shows). 

I should say that red wine and tonic (TV's Old Spanish, sans olive) actually isn't half bad, given the right red wine and a certain level of inebriation.

Manzanilla and tonic is one of my go-tos, and I add Cynar to everything. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Help!

I fucked up and made a tasty drink based on the subtleties and nuances of ingredients and their compatibility, rather than coming up with a zany pun or service vessel and finding ingredients to fit

Name this drink:

1 part cachaca

1 part Swedish punsch

1 part Yellow Chartreuse

1 part lemon

1 dash BT Grapefruit bitters

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Help!

I fucked up and made a tasty drink based on the subtleties and nuances of ingredients and their compatibility, rather than coming up with a zany pun or service vessel and finding ingredients to fit

Name this drink:

1 part cachaca

1 part Swedish punsch

1 part Yellow Chartreuse

1 part lemon

By George!

• Like 3

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Help!

Name this drink:

1 part cachaca

1 part Swedish punsch

1 part Yellow Chartreuse

1 part lemon

Rum and Catholic?  But I do like Haresfur's suggestion.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Final George/Last George/The Epilogue of George. Whatever. It's pretty good. Nice way to make use of the Swedish punsch I made months ago (a recipe leslie linked to).

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Smokescreen (Alex Day)

1.5 oz Islay whiskey (Bowmore Islay Legend in the spec, I used Caol Ila)

3/4 lime

scant 3/4 simple (1:1 presumably, i did a scant 1/2 of 2:1)

1/4 oz Chartreuse

muddle with mint leaves then shake and serve on one big rock (I didn't muddle, I just shook)

It's a great drink - it was first made for me at DC's Eat the Rich as a "dealer's choice" drink. They used mostly Talisker Storm, and I believe lemon, and that was actually better - I think a full on Islay is too peaty for the Chartreuse. In any case, it's a great combo regardless of the whisky, I encourage experimentation!

(mods - what the hell is up with portrait photos going sideways in mobile posts????)

image.jpg

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

Smokescreen (Alex Day)

1.5 oz Islay whiskey (Bowmore Islay Legend in the spec, I used Caol Ila)

3/4 lime

scant 3/4 simple (1:1 presumably, i did a scant 1/2 of 2:1)

1/4 oz Chartreuse

muddle with mint leaves then shake and serve on one big rock (I didn't muddle, I just shook)

It's a great drink - it was first made for me at DC's Eat the Rich as a "dealer's choice" drink. They used mostly Talisker Storm, and I believe lemon, and that was actually better - I think a full on Islay is too peaty for the Chartreuse. In any case, it's a great combo regardless of the whisky, I encourage experimentation!

Where did you find this one? It's not in the Death & Co Cocktail Book, is it? It looks very cool. I don't mind full-on Islay with Chartreuse, quite the opposite. I am a fan of Lahproaig + Chartreuse. The End of Road, Pete's Word, etc.

• Like 1

I was in the mood of a Smith and Cross drink and stumbled across this little beauty. I had to make a few modifications to suit what I had. My final recipe was

1 Oz Smith & Cross

1 Oz Evan Williams Single Barrel

1 Oz Cherry Heering

0.25 Oz Breckenridge Bitters

3 ds Bittermans 'Elemakule Tiki Bitters

Just what I was in the mood for. The S&C and Cherry Heering go together very well, the funk from the rum takes some of the edge of the sweet. And the spice of the tiki bitters drew this together like I hoped.

Edited by Czequershuus (log)
  • Like 2

More crushed action. Bin 'n Gitters (Charles H. Baker Jr. via Bartender's Choice) with Perry's Tot navy strenth gin, lime juice, simple syrup, Angostura bitters.

I don't know if I love that gin in that application, but navy strength is a pretty sure way to get buzzed. Haha.

21681534492_6752aaa405_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

New for the bar last night: Sippin' on Some Sfarjal (sfarjal = quince in Arabic)

12003361_961854617212002_528767776705429

Appleton VX, homemade quince syrup, a bit of lime, and a drop or two of my Arabian Bitters

Brought back another fall drink, Under the Pomegranate Tree:

12002904_959618734102257_310281205984727

Lebanese Arak, pomegranate in two forms, and soda

And one of my classics, the Saz'iraq:

10931646_837115113019287_297450634037649

Subbing my "Sharqtreuse" liqueur for the absinthe, and Arabian Bitters for the Peychaud's. As of yesterday, my Demerara syrup now features gum Arabic, not just for the name, but to make the drink a bit richer too.

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 2

Borrowing from some of Rafa's ideas in the flavor pairing thread I made this sour last night that came out pretty nicely.

1.5 oz Encanto pisco

.5 oz Blume Marillen

.75 oz lemon

.25 oz orgeat

.25 oz 1:1 simple

Dash Angostura

Shake everything with two expressed lemon peels, strain, coupe.

Definitely a lot of nice floral notes/aromas without being too soft.

Edited by sbumgarner (log)
  • Like 1

Help!

Name this drink:

1 part cachaca

1 part Swedish punsch

1 part Yellow Chartreuse

1 part lemon

Rio Sunburn. That is what you get when a Swedish tourist goes to Brazil for the first time...

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Cognac, bourbon, apricot, orgeat, grapefruit, lemon.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937