• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

Mississippi punch since it's summer and I had not mixed one in a while:

2 oz PF 1840 Cognac

1 oz S&C

1/2 oz arrack

juice of 1 lemon (after an all too alkaline afternoon assaying the Harvard edx pH lab)

1 Tablespoon sugar

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Three Dots and a Dash:

Threedots.jpg

Not bad for something with citrus in it.  But I need to work on my pineapple spears.  Any tips?

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

It is indeed paper (well, it burned like paper when I threw it in the fire when I'd finished with it).  And very splendid they are, being green and all.

No argument about the evilness of pineapple in some circumstances (on pizza, for example).  As a decoration on a drink I can live with it, but citrus (for me) seems to just make a drink thin and ungenerous.  I realise I may be in a minority with this view.

I'm much happier with the bitter end of the spectrum than the sour.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

It is indeed paper (well, it burned like paper when I threw it in the fire when I'd finished with it).  And very splendid they are, being green and all.

No argument about the evilness of pineapple in some circumstances (on pizza, for example).  As a decoration on a drink I can live with it, but citrus (for me) seems to just make a drink thin and ungenerous.  I realise I may be in a minority with this view.

I'm much happier with the bitter end of the spectrum than the sour.

Per the recent NY Times article, scurvy is a horrible way to go.  I worry about you,  My problem with pineapple is a bleeding mouth, which just makes the drink more red and salty.  I agree, in context, bitter sometimes has its place.

Tonight for me, after a particularly rewarding repast, a goodly glass or two of Colonel Taylor to settle the digestion.

Wanted a negroni only to find out I had no gin left! So instead a take on a boulevardier tonight ....

1 1/2 oz high west rye

1 oz campari

1 oz sweet vermouth

1/2 oz luxardo amaretto

Chartreuse rinse

Hit the spot!

Edited by Jstern35 (log)

Been working the Green Zone two nights a week for the last several weeks. On the menu:

The Vişnezade, with Green Hat Spring/Summer Gin, sour cherry syrup, bitters, and garnish:

11695923_923839941013470_128310086907301

The Janissary Corps, Green Hat gin, pistachio syrup, lemon, etc:

11694888_918489318215199_824970376157999

Lebanese No. 1, cognac, apricot, lemon:

11018722_914595691937895_525255195347494

Mint Lemonade & More, a spiked riff on the classic Levantine blended mint lemonades:

11225734_912467588817372_535344332922280

Maté Martini, with yerba mate infused Lillet and of course Green Hat:

1384206_908186962578768_8191049998535094

Rivas Julep: rhubarb, rye, lemon, rose, mint, Persian bitters:

11695941_926141560783308_660583962701430

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 8

Joking aside, my manager recently came up with a very simple, yet complex, GPtastic drink to try and use up some Amer

40ml Martini Dry

20ml Amer Picon

10ml Cynar

Some Bitter Truth Grapefruit Bitters.

Stirred, Up

Probably had a lemon twist.

Banging.  Really impressive for something with next to no alcohol in it.

• Like 3

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

On behalf of every cocktail nerd in the US, fuck you. In the nicest possible way, of course.

What he said! :cool:

Would love to have "real" Amer Picon to "have to get rid of"! I have used several alternatives including Torani Amer and the formula offered by Splificator as a substitute. But never had the real thing.

Current Picon Club and Picon Biere don't really count for me (not that I wouldn't try them if I had them!) meaning at this point it would have to be about 50 years old to be as close as possible to the real thing before the proof got slashed down from the original 78 proof.

I wonder if the Amer Picon "Black" available at TWE at a slightly higher 42 proof is a similar formula and would be better than the current day Amer Picon at 36 proof.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I found two ~40 year old bottles (78 proof) on a dusty shelf in Houston a few years ago, so don't give up all hope. One is still sealed, so if anyone in NYC wants to try the real thing, it can certainly be arranged.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

In Zimbabwe I didn't have access to my kit and I was limited to whatever was sold at a reasonable price in the supermarket, but I still managed to make a few things. I wasn't so happy with the Manhattan variation I made using Three Ships Select (a blended South African whisky--I couldn't find the costlier single malt, despite looking high and low), M&R and a locally-made cocktail bitters. The whisky was a bit harsh for an Old Fashioned. I ended up gaining a fair amount of traction--relatives liked it, I mean--with the Collins format. The Ian Collins: 2.5 oz Mainstay cane spirit (that much of the plastic bottle stuff would probably kill you), 1 oz lime juice and .75 oz simple topped with soda water. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Made a daiquiri last night...A Numero 4, from the Floridita menu.

Old hat right?

2 oz Bacardi Heritage 1909

3/4 oz key lime juice

1/4 oz 2:1 white simple syrup

teaspoon-ish Luxardo Maraschino

Best daiquiri I have EVER had. The Bacardi, key limes, and Luxardo are like magic together. I'm down to 3.25 bottles of the rum remaining, I must find more!

• Like 1

Not to be all political and shit, but today was a big day in DC - the US reestablished diplomatic relations with Cuba and the Cuban flag was raised over the restored Cuban Embassy for the first time in over 50 years:

10518632_10100395804511751_4036420158808

So what did I do?

Celebrated with my three favorite Cuban cocktails, because they're what got me into this whole mixology lark:

The one that got me into it in the first place, the humble mojito:

11214352_10100395789242351_4246135065034

3/4 key lime, teaspoon or so superfine sugar, bunch of mint, muddled, 1.5 oz Havana Club Añejo 3 Años, stir w cracked ice, top w 1.5 oz soda (ratios from Potions of the Caribbean except for the extra lime) - not my usual ratios, but very light and refreshing. Nice.

The King of Cocktails, in the number 4 variant from La Floridita...the Daiquiri No. 4, because I wanted a slushy drink (it's probably hotter in DC right now than in Havana) and I don't have any grapefruit lying around.

11752530_10100395799701391_6032266498472

2 oz HC3A, 3/4 key lime (the Floridita spec is 1/2 oz, and I think in the blended version, that's the way to go, cf Liquid Intelligence), teaspoon superfine sugar, teaspoon Luxardo, blended with several Kold Draft-style ice cubes in my Blendtec for 20 seconds on max speed - perfect texture.

Finally, a drink I don't make often, but fuck it. El Presidente:

11760153_10100395807580601_4217180691049

1 oz Don Q Gran Añejo (thanks Rafa!), 1 oz Dolin Blanc, bought just this evening for this drink, 1/4 oz Ferrand Dry Curaçao, stirred with orange peel in the mixing glass, per Berry's instructions in Potions. Garnished with a Green Zone brandied cherry. Delicious! I highly vouch for these ratios and these ingredients specifically.

¡Viva Cuba!

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 4

Not that I'm much into politics, I just want to know when we can buy the rum.

Edit:  oh, and I'm imbibing Mississippi punch at the moment.  After a hot and painfully exhausting day.  A great and I suppose historically accurate beverage for a filibuster!  Don't know why I don't drink Mississippi punch more often...I think I forgot how strong this is.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

1 oz Don Q Gran Añejo (thanks Rafa!), 1 oz Dolin Blanc, bought just this evening for this drink, 1/4 oz Ferrand Dry Curaçao, stirred with orange peel in the mixing glass, per Berry's instructions in Potions. Garnished with a Green Zone brandied cherry. Delicious! I highly vouch for these ratios and these ingredients specifically.

Not sure who gets credit for really reviving this drink with the realization that Dolin Blanc was the key as I first learned about the drink from an Imbibe article by Professor Wondrich, although given the article was from 2012 and the book didn't get published until late 2013 perhaps the nod goes to Splificator on this one. Although who knows how long it took to write the book! 

Don't have the magazine with his specific recipe in front of me but I did find this one online. Pretty similar except you used a dark aged rum and didn't include a touch of grenadine. I have tended to use Havana Club Anejo Blanco when I had it or the Flor de Cana 4yo extra dry when I didn't as it is pretty good and not quite as spendy.

1½ oz. rich white rum

1½ oz. Dolin Vermouth Blanc

1 barspoon orange Curaçao or Grand Marnier

½ barspoon real grenadine

Thinly cut orange peel

Garnish: maraschino cherry (optional)

Anywho I absolutely agree this is a real winner!

• Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I also first read about it from David Wondrich I think, tried it at the time and didn't care for it. Tried it again at Bar Agricole a couple of years ago and still didn't get what the fuss was about (here is their version below in the front, and a little write-up about how the drink represents their philosophy about ingredient sourcing). Wayne Curtis previously wrote about this cocktail in 2006.

Maybe it's time to revisit, although I have a fear of grenadine.

8986889397_1751abf7b7_z.jpg

• Like 1

Not to be all political and shit, but today was a big day in DC - the US reestablished diplomatic relations with Cuba and the Cuban flag was raised over the restored Cuban Embassy for the first time in over 50 years:

¡Viva Cuba!

Is there any grenadine in your recipe?

Is there any grenadine in your recipe?

In that one, which is the Potions of the Caribbean recipe, no. I've since made a couple with, and I'm not sure which version I like more.