• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

Sabered champagne. Nothing so satisfying  :biggrin:

11164781_10100344977494501_8127161672378

I'd say I'd have your babies but the Surgeon General would be quite concerned.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Following a discussion at work tonight -- NY Times maintains that for health reasons women should enjoy but one drink per night.

I say if you are having only one drink, make it a large one...a mai tai, preferably, for me.  But if one beverage is good, surely two must be more better?

It counts as one if you pour two normal-sized Mai Tais into a giant novelty glass. 

Tonight I'm on cognac. Nothing remarkable: Jean Luc Pasquet VS.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

It'll taste great, but you'll miss out on the color.

That color is very nice but choosing between Grand Marnier or Cointreau and missing out on the color or McGuinness blue curacao and living with the taste it imparts doesn't require a whole lot of decision making. That said, now I have to ask your opinion... for this drink, Grand Marnier or Cointreau?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I used Senior's blue Curaçao, which has a neutral spirits base and is closer to Cointreau. I also used homemade, not particularly sweet orgeat, and fresh-juiced pineapple with nice acidity—Trader Joe's' otherwise excellent cartoned pineapple juice might be a bit insipid here.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

This month's MXMO focuses on the Manhattan. Here's my spin on the drink:

The Place of Weeping

DSC_0043_zpsawfuraiz.jpg

2.5 oz South African brandy, KWV 10

0.75 oz Dolin sweet

2 dashes bitters, (homemade) Boer -- big on the clove, nutmeg, black pepper

1 dash Angostura bitters

Stir/strain the above into an Octomore-rinsed glass. 

This is boozy but too smooth. I'd be inclined to revisit this with a less-refined brandy or maybe even a split-base: maybe fiddy-fiddy aged KWV and young Klipdrift.

mxmologo.gif

• Like 2

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

That color is very nice but choosing between Grand Marnier or Cointreau and missing out on the color or McGuinness blue curacao and living with the taste it imparts doesn't require a whole lot of decision making. That said, now I have to ask your opinion... for this drink, Grand Marnier or Cointreau?

Would a couple of drops of blue food coloring work in a pinch? I don't think it would affect the taste very much.

I mean, who wouldn't want a drink that color???

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Ironic blue drinks are so passé already... :D

Last night I made myself a Negroni with St George dry gin, Campari, Cocchi vermouth di Torino and a little bit of Byrrh (grapefruit twist). The Byrrh contributes a touch of bitterness and red currant notes. Delish.

17388097926_4823b191cf_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

And here's my Manhattan experiment, for the month's Mixology Monday

My starting point was some date-infused bourbon I'd made (by soaking medjool dates in high-proof Evan Williams for a couple of weeks). What got me going in that direction was this old New York Times article about a date old-fashioned

Right when the infusion was complete, the Mixology Monday challenge was announced, so I decided to see if I could make a nice Manhattan out of my date bourbon. 

At first taste I realized the bourbon really sucked up the sweetness from the dates, so that would be the balancing challenge. Thus I decided first to make a "perfect" Manhattan, subbing in dry vermouth for half of the sweet vermouth. Then I thought using Punt e Mes would contribute a more bitter note to also hold up against the sweetness. 

A dash of homemade fig-citrus bitters (a gift from a friend) along with a dash of Angostura and an orange twist completed the drink. 

NJYGIyBl.jpg

And the result? Well I was right in ascertaining that tamping down the sweetness would be the challenge--and I don't think I met that challenge. This drink has a lovely nose, nice flavors, but it's just a bit too syrupy sweet. The date's contribution is, in the end, hopelessly redundant with sweet vermouth I think. I could try a dry Manhattan with the infused bourbon I suppose, but I think the next use to which I put it will involve some kind of acid to put up more of a fight.

mxmologo.gif

• Like 1

A Lion's Tail, I guess:

2 oz Angel's Envy rye

3/4 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz honey syrup

1/4 oz St. Liz

Christmassy. I'll be tossing back a lot of these come fall.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

A Lion's Tail, I guess:

2 oz Angel's Envy rye

3/4 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz honey syrup

1/4 oz St. Liz

Christmassy. I'll be tossing back a lot of these come fall.

One of my favorite drinks. Redeems bourbon entirely  :biggrin:

Made myself a blended daiquiri yesterday. I was going for a Number 3 (I think, I can never remember) and then discovered I'm OUT OF MARASCHINO!

So:

2 oz Doorly's White 

3/4 lime

1/4 grapefruit

1/2 2:1 white SS

1/4 or less Creole Shrubb

Add ice to blender, set to stun, and a lovely crushed, not smooth/slushie drink resulted. Great drunk outside on a hot evening on my patio smoking a hookah

• Like 1

That's Sixpoint's excellent Jammer gose in my world's skinniest beer glass.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Thai Tea

60ml milk washed jasmine tea vodka

15ml honey simple syrup

15ml clarified lime juice

salt

very resfreshing.

I find this really interesting. Can anyone tell me what milk washed jasmine tea vodka is? I know what all those words mean individually, but I have no idea what they all mean together. Help! 

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

As in Jamie?

Yes. I used his recipe, using my suggestion to substitute vodka for the water to raise the proof to be closer to 80.

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/ingredient/amer-boudreau

I steeped it the length of time suggested, with half bitter and half regular orange peel. Fred Yarm suggests 1-2 months, or even 3 weeks, is way too long. I think I waited about a month.

The results is much more bitter, strong, intense and less sweet than other Amer Picon substitutes that I've tried. I like it a lot. It also mellowed in the bottle over the year. 

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

An old-fashioned style drink for when one is in a sweeter mood.

1.5 oz Ration Rum (any aged rum on the drier side would work)

.5 oz Lemon Hart 151

.5 oz falernum (I used Kaiser Penguin's recipe)

2 dashes of Bittermens Mole

The falernum could certainly be dialed back, but this still worked for what I wanted last night.

• Like 1