• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

1 1/2 oz Laphroaig 10

1/2 oz Smith & Cross

3/4 oz ginger syrup

3/4 oz lime juice

Finish for days.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

We must be in sync, Chris - I also had a Sanny last night.

I liked it.  Lacking celery bitters I used a small splash of celery syrup, which probably made it a tad sweeter than intended.  I don't recall getting coffee, but it was certainly a nice 'dark' flavoured drink; just the way I like them.  Lose the cold then try again, maybe.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I had an idea for a drink garnish tonight that I've never seen in a bar or heard of.

I keep a stash of cranberries in the freezer purchased fresh when they're in season. Usually they're used for muffins, coffee cakes, scones or apple/cranberry/orange compote.

Tonight I was craving an enhancement to my favorite cocktail of vodka and seltzer that wasn't sweet, and that stash of cranberries popped into my mind. Wow! I had forgotten cranberries float. This made the sparkling drink even prettier than if they were resting on the bottom and made it easier to snag one off the top.

Next fall, I can see I'm going to have to increase my allocated freezer real estate for more frozen cranberries.

I can see cranberries as a garnish in many sweet cocktails that are more popular than my simple one, or in lemonade or even orange juice, or soda if you like that.

> ^ . . ^ <

I had an idea for a drink garnish tonight that I've never seen in a bar or heard of.

I keep a stash of cranberries in the freezer purchased fresh when they're in season. Usually they're used for muffins, coffee cakes, scones or apple/cranberry/orange compote.

Tonight I was craving an enhancement to my favorite cocktail of vodka and seltzer that wasn't sweet, and that stash of cranberries popped into my mind. Wow! I had forgotten cranberries float. This made the sparkling drink even prettier than if they were resting on the bottom and made it easier to snag one off the top.

Next fall, I can see I'm going to have to increase my allocated freezer real estate for more frozen cranberries.

I can see cranberries as a garnish in many sweet cocktails that are more popular than my simple one, or in lemonade or even orange juice, or soda if you like that.

Not new. And this is only water!
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night: the same strawberry-ginger lemonade I was making for every guest that requested a mocktail. But with absinthe.

Tonight:

image.jpg

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Hey Anna N,

I've been following the "Ladies Who Lunch" thread for years, so maybe it's you I have to thank for the inspiration that seemed to come out of the blue for the cranberry garnish. It's very pretty and very tasty to me, and your drink photo is gorgeous. Water is my favorite drink.

In my defense against plagiarism though, the red garnish in your photo wasn't identified, seems large for a cranberry, and I probably thought it was a more common cherry garnish held on top of the drink by the ice.  :smile:

> ^ . . ^ <

Hey Anna N,

I've been following the "Ladies Who Lunch" thread for years, so maybe it's you I have to thank for the inspiration that seemed to come out of the blue for the cranberry garnish. It's very pretty and very tasty to me, and your drink photo is gorgeous. Water is my favorite drink.

In my defense against plagiarism though, the red garnish in your photo wasn't identified, seems large for a cranberry, and I probably thought it was a more common cherry garnish held on top of the drink by the ice.  :smile:

Then I should have referred you to this earlier posting in the same topic.
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Having recently tasted some home-made Swedish Punsch (made by a Swedish barman) I had to make some of my own, following (more or less) this recipe with cachaça.  For the tea I used a teabag of English Breakfast and a pinch or two of lapsang souchong for interest and it came out very well.  It only makes 400ml or so, so I'll need to repeat the exercise before long.

Then, of course, I needed to try it in a cocktail.  The Auteur cocktail from Kindred seemed to have my kind of ingredients, along with the punsch, so that was last night's medicine:

Auteur.jpg

Absolutely delicious.  An interesting mix of tastes - I think I could detect a subtle bit of lemon from the punsch, and there was a trace of bay from the bay seed liqueur I sub for yellow Chartreuse - but overall it was very well balanced and definitely goes onto the list of favourites.  Try it.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

We always seem to have a play to go to on Derby Day. Needed to get my mint julep on

2 tbs of fresh mint simple syrup

3 oz of Berheim wheated bourbon

65555866a24003faa9ca2bdb0e353898.jpg

Goes down way too easy

Next time I needed to cut back on the simple syrup.

And the ice [emoji5]️

Absinthe blue Mai Tai, all day every day:

2 oz pineapple juice

1 oz St. George absinthe

1 oz orgeat

1 oz lime juice

1/2 oz Senior blue curaçao

1/2 oz Wray & Nephew, as float

Crushed ice and orange flag

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Absinthe blue Mai Tai, all day every day:

2 oz pineapple juice

1 oz St. George absinthe

1 oz orgeat

1 oz lime juice

1/2 oz Senior blue curaçao

1/2 oz Wray & Nephew, as float

Crushed ice and orange flag

I'd give that one a shot but there's only one blue curacao available where I live and it's complete crap. I suppose I could try it minus the "blue"...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

A few Matthew Webb Gimlets:

2 oz Tanqueray

3/4 oz Lime Juice

1/2 oz Plymouth Sloe Gin

1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse (I used MOFS)

1/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice, strain into a chilled coupe, and top with 4 drops Angostura.

Thus fortified, one might (theoretically) swim the English Channel.

• Like 2

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

More fun with the Giffard Pamplemousse last night for a little Cinco de Mayo nod:

1 oz Milagro blanco

1 oz Sombra mezcal

.75 oz lime

.5 oz Pamplemousse

.25 oz Becherovka

1 tsp 2:1 simple

dash of Bittermens Burlesque

3 drops of salt solution

Shake, strain, coupe.

It'll taste great, but you'll miss out on the color.

I'd give that one a shot but there's only one blue curacao available where I live and it's complete crap. I suppose I could try it minus the "blue"...

It'll taste great, but you'll miss out on the color.

image.jpg

Edited by Rafa (log)
  • Like 3

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Following a discussion at work tonight -- NY Times maintains that for health reasons women should enjoy but one drink per night.

I say if you are having only one drink, make it a large one...a mai tai, preferably, for me.  But if one beverage is good, surely two must be more better?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou