• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks! 2015 - 2016

EvergreenDan

[Host's note: This topic is part of an extended discussion that has become too large for our servers to handle efficiently. The discussion continues from here.]

On 4/17/2015 at 4:14 AM, Hassouni said:

Amaro dell'Erborista and Amaro Sibilia  .... Finally, Amari that are not too sweet.

+1

The Beekeeper's Apprentice is putting a serious dent in my Sibilia and Yellow Chartreuse.

• Like 1

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I can't remember when it's been so long since I've had a mai tai.

Sadly I ran out of time this afternoon for seeking ginger beer -- so a white mai tai it was tonight.  Unlike a florodora one can't quite quaff a white mai tai, or at least I cannot...but maybe with a little practice.

Then again, there is nothing stopping me from fixing a floridora imperial.*

*Edit:  other than the price of limes...3@$1.99.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Now that I have ginger beer in house, I crafted a traditionally proper florodora:

Florodora04182015.jpg

2 oz Malacca

2 teaspoons raspberry gum

juice of one lime

topped up with Fentimans

Fentimans is strong, strong stuff.  And nicely not too sweet.

• Like 1

gb8kk5jl.jpg

Peat-er and the Wolf

Laphroaig 10 (Bowmore Legend)

St. Elizabeth dram (homemade)

Lime juice

Ginger syrup

Brown ale (Summit Frost Line Rye)

Candied ginger garnish (forgot it for the pic)

A fun drink, with the really intense ingredients (sour, spicy, smoky) blanketed by the beer, peeking out here and there as you sip.

• Like 1

Very much an end of shift drink. Not For Everyone.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I am in the middle of designing a drinks menu and thus sick of cocktails so Damoiseau VSOP, Clément VSOP, and Don Q 151 neat have been my Drinks! 2014 (Part 2) lately.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Very much an end of shift drink. Not For Everyone.

I should clarify I meant "curious" in the best possible way. I enjoyed it. I dig drinks like this that pit a bunch of intense ingredients against each other--a melee in a coupe.

(That, ideally, ends in a draw). 

• Like 1

After a mai tai and a half while waiting for tonight's tagine to finish cooking I can report that while the florodora imperial style is, as I said, a keeper -- the traditional florodora is but a novelty.  Won't make it into the rotation.  Unfortunate, as the florodora is really pretty.

spending more time with Aronia

.75 oz. lime juice

.75 oz. Cape Verdean rum

.75 oz. Brandymel Limao

.75 oz. Pectin free Aronia liqueur

this is a gorgeous drink with extraordinary overtones created by the Aronia and honey all the while penetrated by Cape Verdean funk.

Aronia was a fruit I had to wrestle with. It is very high in pectin which is why I think its so uncommon. adding alcohol shock much of the pectin out of solution and a 15 minute centrifuging at 4000g's removed most of it. I probably should have chilled it before it put it in the centrifuge to shock more out. still little globules clung to the glass as I swirled it. so I ran it through the Acme centrifugal juicer using it only as a filter. this aerates it so I simply de-aerated it with the champagne bottle manifold.

all that torture and I had the most lovely liqueur that danced around my snifter with no cling of pectinous globules. perhaps I could have used an enzyme, but I suspect they should only be used for the remaining balance.

bring on the next obscure fruit. GET YOUR JUICE ON: MY NEW FINING TECHNIQUE IS UNSTOPPABLE!

• Like 2

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

3/4 oz gin

3/4 oz Solbeso

3/4 oz dry sake

3/4 oz lemon

3/4 oz jasmine green tea syrup

Yes.

1 1/2 oz bourbon

1/2 oz Appleton VX

1/4 oz Giffard grapefruit

1/4 oz ginger syrup

1 tsp Fernet Branca

Julep build with crushed ice and mint

Yes yes.

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

3/4 oz gin

3/4 oz Solbeso

3/4 oz dry sake

3/4 oz lemon

3/4 oz jasmine green tea syrup

Yes.

1 1/2 oz bourbon

1/2 oz Appleton VX

1/4 oz Giffard grapefruit

1/4 oz ginger syrup

1 tsp Fernet Branca

Julep build with crushed ice and mint

Yes yes.

yaaaaaasss! yasss! yaaaas!

Test Pilot, using a half ounce of Sea Wynde and a full ounce of Appleton V/X for the Jamaican component. As much as I hated the Wynde on its lonesome it's pretty fucking good in a flavour-packed drink like this.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

After a mai tai and a half while waiting for tonight's tagine to finish cooking I can report that while the florodora imperial style is, as I said, a keeper -- the traditional florodora is but a novelty.  Won't make it into the rotation.  Unfortunate, as the florodora is really pretty.

There is a little article in PUNCH about the Florodora. It's very pretty indeed.

Test Pilot, using a half ounce of Sea Wynde and a full ounce of Appleton V/X for the Jamaican component. As much as I hated the Wynde on its lonesome it's pretty fucking good in a flavour-packed drink like this.

Very timely (maybe by design?). This weekend it's the Jet Pilot Challenge on instagram (#jetpilotchallenge2015).

Revisiting apricot fix tonight.

For reference the standard recipe:

1 oz PF 1840

1 oz Blume Marillen

1/4 oz noyaux

3/4 oz orgeat

3/4 oz lemon juice

1 dash Angostura

Last time I prepared this it was still a little sweet.  So this time I tried:

1 1/2 oz PF 1840

1 1/2 oz Blume Marillen

1/4 oz noyaux

3/4 oz orgeat

1 oz lemon juice

1 dash Angostura

Better yet, I think.  A delightful drink...particularly if one were ever out of rum.

• Like 1

This afternoon I decided to try on the "Moscow-mule". 

Monopolowa and Bundaberg and lime! Wow what an amazing yet simple drink.

And with cachaca instead of vodka? What would you call that cause it's pretty darn good as well.

Mixed drinks for a small get-together this afternoon. My menu:

Venetian Spritz

Long Faced Dove

Scofflaw

Worked well. The Long Faced Dove has a bit more elaborate prep so that slowed me down a bit, but it's worth it--a delicious margarita-like cooler. Only the Scofflaw is shaken, so that saved me a lot of shaker-rinsing time. I think the last time I made a Scofflaw at home I still was using Rose's grenadine, so these today (made with Stirrings) were more subtle than I remembered. The Venetian Spritz (Aperol and prosecco with a splash of soda) was the newest to me, and I was eager to see how the traditional garnish of green olive and orange wedge--which seem so incongruous in theory!--would work out. Sure enough, works great!

While I'm sure this is not original, it was kind of made up on the spot and surprisingly worked well.

Equal parts Aquavit, punsch, lemon juice & chartreuse. We've taken to referring to it as "The Senast Word", due to its Swedish ingredients.

Edited by GarethLangston (log)
  • Like 2