• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Sensible Article on Eating Well

weinoo

Finally, an article about healthy eating that I can agree with. Because I'm so damn tired of being "told" what I should and shouldn't eat. Or what's good for me and what isn't. Everything in moderation has always been my practice...

I’ve avoided treating any food like the devil. Many nutrition experts do, and it may turn out they’re right, but at this point I think the jury is still out. I’ve therefore tried not to tell you to avoid anything completely. My experience tells me that total abstinence rarely works, although anecdotes exist to support that practice. I think you’ll find that many other diets and recommendations work under these rules. These are much more flexible and, I hope, reasonable than what some might prescribe.

Simple Rules For Healthy Eating 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

nice.

"""   7. Eat with other people, especially people you care about, as often as possible. ""

often forgotten.    when under # 7, Id add take your time.

Right - the article says, under No. 7:

It will most likely make you eat more slowly. It will also make you happy.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I think one of the issues with eating "fast" is that our brains probably don't know that our stomachs have had enough to eat. So we eat more.

That's exactly right. It takes about 20 minutes for the brain to fully catch up with the stomach.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

That's exactly right. It takes about 20 minutes for the brain to fully catch up with the stomach.

You eat "fast food" at the same speed as regular food.

"Fast food " only means the food was prepared "fast".

To avoid weight gain, once in a while you need to fast.

dcarch

• Like 1

not really so   

its a small point

you Inhale  'fast food'

its a bit quicker  than regular food

get some coupons\

2 for one

Big Mac

take them home

micro to that the cheese melts

and 

there it is !

with respect

Id like to see that 'data'

both of mine are Light-ningy fast.

:huh:

Google "20 minutes stomach brain" (w/o the quotation marks). It's the peptides, dontcha know.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Re above:

You are both right. There are vagal afferents to the area Postrema (nerves to the brain) that will cause POMC release in the hypothalamus and a very quick response to ingestion of food (measured by stomach distension). Also, when digesting in the stomach, small amounts of chyme (the stomach contents) will leak into the duodenum (small intestine), and be absorbed by the cells of the duodenal epithelium. These cause the release of CCK and GLP-1 among other peptides (the specific one will depend on what biomacromolecule was absorbed. Obviously, as these are blood born proteins, they will take longer to reach the brain and thus there is a latency between eating and satiation.

Re above:

You are both right. There are vagal afferents to the area Postrema (nerves to the brain) that will cause POMC release in the hypothalamus and a very quick response to ingestion of food (measured by stomach distension). Also, when digesting in the stomach, small amounts of chyme (the stomach contents) will leak into the duodenum (small intestine), and be absorbed by the cells of the duodenal epithelium. These cause the release of CCK and GLP-1 among other peptides (the specific one will depend on what biomacromolecule was absorbed. Obviously, as these are blood born proteins, they will take longer to reach the brain and thus there is a latency between eating and satiation.

Imagine what happens with sous vide!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Finally, an article about healthy eating that I can agree with. Because I'm so damn tired of being "told" what I should and shouldn't eat. Or what's good for me and what isn't. Everything in moderation has always been my practice...

Simple Rules For Healthy Eating 

Yes, "everything in moderation", including moderation!

Edited by Naftal (log)
  • Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Great article weinoo,

I sometimes feel like I'm in the 1973 Woody Allen movie, "Sleeper." One year nutrition studies tell us coffee, tea, salt, cholesterol, eggs ... are the devil. A few years later: coffee, tea, salt, cholesterol, eggs ... are NOT the devil. I guess processed sugar is the current devil? Before we know it, health food will be outlawed like in that crazy movie.  :wacko:   :laugh:

The article pretty much follows my approach to food and nutrition and my grandma's and RN mom's sage advice.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <