• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenAid Precise Heat Mixing Bowl KSM1CBL

JoNorvelleWalker

Your tests make it even more clear to me that I don't need it. Those heating times for that amount of liquid wouldn't make me happy. Especially with the massive drop when removing the lid that would mean another long recovery time. Thank you for sharing your results.

Indeed, I own a circulator.  However as Anna notes, in this case evaporation of the mix is called for.  I aim for evaporation by about a third.

You could put the mix in a bag and clip it to the side of your sous vide container with the bag open to allow for evaporation.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Your tests make it even more clear to me that I don't need it. Those heating times for that amount of liquid wouldn't make me happy. Especially with the massive drop when removing the lid that would mean another long recovery time. Thank you for sharing your results.

You could put the mix in a bag and clip it to the side of your sous vide container with the bag open to allow for evaporation.

On thing I didn't note:  from the recipes I gather that the unit is intended to be preheated first, before adding ingredients.  I have the feeling the KSM1CBL was foremostly designed as a chocolate tempering attachment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I would be interested in seeing the manual in order to check out what it can do. I tried their site but no info available.

p

http://www.boulanger.com/ecommerce/notices/6/5413184410766_a_0.pdf

http://www.boulanger.com/ecommerce/notices/6/5413184410766_f_0.pdf

^^^The manual in FRENCH... Perhaps someone will translate

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

That's funny!  The manual that came with my unit doesn't even list specifications.  Let alone have pretty pictures.  I'm guessing KitchenAid must have hired away the technical writer from Polyscience.

One difference I note:  my unit is strictly Fahrenheit.  There is no dual display as in the picture.  And there are other symbols in the display that mine does not have, or at least are not documented.

Deryn, can you recommend a self help group?

I spent the afternoon testing out the KitchenAid.  Temperature can be specified in increments of 1 deg F.  With the temperature set to 161 deg F and 1.5 liters of 70 deg water in the bowl, the unit took 23 minutes to preheat to 161, at which time the water temperature measured 132.

After two hours the temperature reached 158.8 and after three hours the temperature had reached 159.0.

Did you stir the water at all? It's designed to be constantly stirred and I can't imagine it would be that efficient at heating relying purely on convection currents.

PS: I am a guy.

It can be stirred with a mixer, of course, but it is billed as a stand alone unit with a lid.

I found that when set for 200 deg F. that the water temperature held about 158-160 without lid.  Not wonderful regulation but probably adequate for ice cream.  Much better than my stove.

Those (French version) 'manuals' are awful. My gosh. Where is the one that tells you how to use the system?

Did you receive the mixer paddle attachments pictured in the French manual also with yours? Strange if those are included since every KA comes with them already (save the paddle with scraper) and if you use it standalone, you can't use those attachments.  

I admit I am at a pre-novice level when it comes to chocolate making but I am struggling to understand how that setup can be used to temper chocolate or even hold at temper if it takes hours to raise the temperature of even water with the lid on and if one fitted it to the KA and actually stirred the mixture the lid would have to be removed ... at which point presumably the temperature would drop and be harder to control. And, since I can see no instructions I cannot tell how that 'chocolate' button functions but can it be set for different types of chocolate? Tempering chocolate seems to be one of the main selling points but I am somehow missing how that would work well with this bowl.

I really want to like it. I do. But, I can't yet see what its best purpose is.

Thanks for the links to the manuals GlorifiedRice, my French is less than so-so, but I could get the general gist of what was being said or not said.

I think this product escaped from their development lab when everyone was on holidays. Not something KitchenAid would be proud to have their name on.

p

Those (French version) 'manuals' are awful. My gosh. Where is the one that tells you how to use the system?

Did you receive the mixer paddle attachments pictured in the French manual also with yours? Strange if those are included since every KA comes with them already (save the paddle with scraper) and if you use it standalone, you can't use those attachments.  

I admit I am at a pre-novice level when it comes to chocolate making but I am struggling to understand how that setup can be used to temper chocolate or even hold at temper if it takes hours to raise the temperature of even water with the lid on and if one fitted it to the KA and actually stirred the mixture the lid would have to be removed ... at which point presumably the temperature would drop and be harder to control. And, since I can see no instructions I cannot tell how that 'chocolate' button functions but can it be set for different types of chocolate? Tempering chocolate seems to be one of the main selling points but I am somehow missing how that would work well with this bowl.

Yes, mine came with the three paddle attachments.  The paddles are necessary because the heated bowl is smaller than a regular KitchenAid bowl.  They look to be of better quality than the paddles that came with my mixer.

Other than the product registration and the woefully incomplete manual there are two pieces of literature that came with my unit:  a recipe book and a quick start guide.  Four of the sixteen recipes in French and English are for chocolate.  The quick start guide in Spanish, French, and English is only for tempering chocolate.  And yes, there is the pretty picture of the strawberry.

Tempering can be done either with the bowl attached to a mixer or without.  Basically, press the button on the left two times.  The chocolate indicator will flash.  Press the button on the right.  Add three quarters of your batch of chocolate and stir (either by hand or with the mixer).  When the bowl plays a tone [like a rice cooker] and the display flashes "Add", press the center button and select the proper temperature for your chocolate* then add the remaining chocolate.  (Note the recipe book reverses the order of these two steps.)  When the display reads "In Temper", the chocolate is ready to be used.  The device will maintain the tempered chocolate for ten hours.

*Here the quick start guide references the "Temperature guide for chocolate recipes" which apparently did not make it to the box.

• Like 1

Does it say how long it takes to temper a given quantity of chocolate?

No.

But you could probably ask KitchenAid.  Or send me several pounds of Valrhona and I will test.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 2

Someone call Kerry and get some Valrhona for JoNorvelleWalker, please! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation about tempering (and the attachments), JoNorvelle. It sounds as though they thought that through so I would expect it should work.

I have both an old Artisan KA (5l, tilt) and a relatively new Pro 600 (6l, lift). I don't have a clue what models they are (they are really on the floor in the living room and heavy to lift up to see what the actual model # is) but I am assuming that maybe the Pro 600 might fit even if it is not listed by name. I don't use the Pro at all right now because I hate the lift design - so much easier to just tilt back the head so the Artisan gets more use. I would consider one of these heated bowls for the single purpose of tempering (even if that isn't really a good financial decision) but wish it would fit on the Artisan.

Someone call Kerry and get some Valrhona for JoNorvelleWalker, please! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation about tempering (and the attachments), JoNorvelle. It sounds as though they thought that through so I would expect it should work.

I have both an old Artisan KA (5l, tilt) and a relatively new Pro 600 (6l, lift). I don't have a clue what models they are (they are really on the floor in the living room and heavy to lift up to see what the actual model # is) but I am assuming that maybe the Pro 600 might fit even if it is not listed by name. I don't use the Pro at all right now because I hate the lift design - so much easier to just tilt back the head so the Artisan gets more use. I would consider one of these heated bowls for the single purpose of tempering (even if that isn't really a good financial decision) but wish it would fit on the Artisan.

I hate to be the one to report that the KitchenAid Precise Heat Mixing Bowl model KSM1CBT* is said by KitchenAid to fit "all Tilt-Head Stand Mixers models" [sic].

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KSM1CBT]-408089/KSM1CBT/

But then you will have to start your own thread.  Otherwise, if I read correctly, the KSM1CBL fits the Professional 600 Design Series and the Professional 600 Series 6...in which case you may stay here.

*Edit:  $249.95 at WS.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Tonight I used the KSM1CBL to reheat a tagine from the other day.  It was so easy.  In fact I suspect my KSM1CBL will be used for cooking a future tagine or two...as much as I love my real tagines.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know that W-S is carrying these bowls. I should have guessed they would. Yes, their site says they have a model which fits Artisan tilt mixers. Almost makes the dilemma worse mind you because I have to decide now which model I own to fit one for.  The concept is growing me. Scary for a self-admitted kitchen gadget 'junkie'.

Edited by Deryn (log)

how odd.  I stopped by WS the other day to see these, after the obligatory shmooze at the Apple store, and they said they didn't carry them.

:huh:

its not something that interests me, but it always wise to take a peek as New Stuff, if its not out of the way.

how odd.  I stopped by WS the other day to see these, after the obligatory shmooze at the Apple store, and they said they didn't carry them.

:huh:

its not something that interests me, but it always wise to take a peek as New Stuff, if its not out of the way.

On-line only at the moment.

• Like 1

For tempering chocolate - I'd use it like the mol'dart - so put the chocolate in the night before, take lid off in am, turn down temp, seed and wait until reaches lower temp.

• Like 1

For tempering chocolate - I'd use it like the mol'dart - so put the chocolate in the night before, take lid off in am, turn down temp, seed and wait until reaches lower temp.

I don't know if it really works, but the chocolate cycle is supposed to do all that for you.

You can temper by heating up to 45C or so, cooling down to 27C, heating back up to 31C.  If you are doing it with the mixer on - I suspect you'll end up with seriously overtempered chocolate because of all the agitation - but - tests may have to be done!

• Like 2

Chocolate that has too many of the 'good' crystals in it.  It doesn't contract as well as perfectly tempered chocolate and it becomes thick and difficult to work with.  Of course sometimes it's exactly what you need for a project!

Am I stupid, or what?

My neighbor just came over and asked if I would help her make ice cream for her kid's birthday party this Saturday, as I did last year and she reminded me how I did it.  She is out now buying the supplies.

I have a self-contained ice cream maker and made 6 quarts for her last year.  I used my Thermomix to mix and cook the custard!

And I realized that I haven't used the microwave method of keeping the custard at temp (as I mentioned in an earlier post) for three or four years because I have used the TMX.

Maybe I am getting senile...

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Am I stupid, or what?

My neighbor just came over and asked if I would help her make ice cream for her kid's birthday party this Saturday, as I did last year and she reminded me how I did it.  She is out now buying the supplies.

I have a self-contained ice cream maker and made 6 quarts for her last year.  I used my Thermomix to mix and cook the custard!

And I realized that I haven't used the microwave method of keeping the custard at temp (as I mentioned in an earlier post) for three or four years because I have used the TMX.

Maybe I am getting senile...

Perhaps you would be kind enough to share the recipe and the procedure in the ice cream thread?  Does the thermomix allow for evaporation?

• Like 1

Perhaps you would be kind enough to share the recipe and the procedure in the ice cream thread?  Does the thermomix allow for evaporation?

I use this recipe.

The only substitution I have made is the use of Truvia Baking Blend - contains sugar - and I use only half as much as the amount of sugar in the recipe (90 g per batch). 

Yes.  The TMX does allow for evaporation - reduction of liquids.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett