• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenAid Precise Heat Mixing Bowl KSM1CBL

JoNorvelleWalker

Another take on constant temperature cooking:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KSM1CBL]-408088/KSM1CBL/#

Thanks to Kerry, who posted the picture from France, I now have one of these things on order.  From what I have read the temperature control is not precise enough for sous vide cookery, however it should be more than acceptable for, say, ice cream.  I understand the temperature setting is in two degree increments Fahrenheit.

The Precise Heat Mixing Bowl has an adjustment range from 70 to 222 deg F (21 to 105.5 deg C).  The unit may be used as a standalone slow cooker (or I guess not so slow), as well as being used as a mixing bowl with certain model KitchenAid stand mixers.

I really hope the bowl fits my KitchenAid KSM5OP.  It may be an excuse to get the KSM5OP out of the living room.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I like the idea, I just don't think I'd have enough actual uses for it to put it on the "want" list.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Well one use is enough for me, if it only works for ice cream!

I also see the KitchenAid as useful for braises and bean dishes.  I have a favorite recipe for black bean cassoulet that I think would do well in the KitchenAid.  For slow cooking I gave up on crockpots decades ago.  Every such one I owned had functionally two settings:  "not hot" and "boil".

A nice concept and a useful idea.

If I buy a slow cooker, hook it up with a PID controller and put it under the Kitchen aid mixer, I may end up with something similar and $200 richer?

dcarch

Let us know how it works out.

Another take on constant temperature cooking:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-[KSM1CBL]-408088/KSM1CBL/#

I really hope the bowl fits my KitchenAid KSM5OP.  It may be an excuse to get the KSM5OP out of the living room.

Just curious ... the description says "Fits all Bowl-Lift Stand Mixers models KD2661, KL26M, KP26M1, KP26M8, KP26N9, KF26M2, KV25G, KV25M, KB25G, KSM652X, KSM657X, KSM75XX."  Why would you think/hope it fits your KSM5OP?

... Shel

Because that's how KitchenAid mixers work.

Yep, that's been my experience too. If your model is listed, it will probably work. If it's not listed, it still might work.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Sorry, I must have missed something.  How would it work for ice cream?

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Yeah. Ice cream recipe calls for the custard to be held at 72° for 25 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yeah. Ice cream recipe calls for the custard to be held at 72° for 25 minutes or so.

Ah, I see.

However, I long ago solved the "hands off" method by keeping my ice cream custard at #2 setting - in my big Sharp, approximately 8% power.  Works perfectly and there is no development of a "skin" on the surface.  And 20 minutes is exactly the right time.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Seems the further we move along in this topic the less we connect to what originally caused the interest in this gadget! I hope this helps.

This lemon curd ice cream recipe created interest in the Kitchen Aid gadget.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Seems the further we move along in this topic the less we connect to what originally caused the interest in this gadget! I hope this helps.

This lemon curd ice cream recipe created interest in the Kitchen Aid gadget.

Okay, that makes sense. I actually didn't know that. I knew it from Jo and myself expressing interest in the new Kitchenaid gadgets in Kerry's Trip-to-France thread after she posted pictures of them.

Sorry, I must have missed something.  How would it work for ice cream?

As others have surmised, this is for cooking the ice cream mix, not freezing it.  I favor Ruben's original 60 minute method:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144208-home-made-ice-cream-2013–/?p=1904689

My granddaughter professed Ruben's method was the best ice cream she had ever had, and my granddaughter is someone who generally speaks her mind.  I note that the KSM1CBL is less expensive than the floor mat I was considering buying to help me stand at the stove and stir.

Also, I don't own a microwave so that is not an option.

My KSM1CBL arrived tonight!

First the bad news:  it does not fit my ancient KSM5OP.  And the manual and recipe booklet are not terribly informative, except for cleaning instructions.  The joys of being an early adopter.  Reminds me, not in a good way, of my experience with Polyscience.  The only recipe I noted of any interest to me was pulled pork which cooks for many hours.

I measured the capacity of the bowl to the maximum fill line at two liters, and the diameter of the bowl at 8 in/ 20 cm.  The heating unit appears to be induction, but is not stated.  There is a chocolate tempering cycle that may interest some.

I need to test the temperature accuracy and stability of the KSM1CBL, and then if satisfactory confront the agonizing decision of whether or not to purchase a hideously expensive new KitchenAid mixer to fit the attachment.  I always use my KSM5OP for making cake.  However I don't eat a lot of cake.  I don't need two unused KitchenAid mixers in the living room.

But then I think of ice cream.

• Like 2

do you SV ?  you could cook the custard in a sealed poly bag id you have a circulator

if not, and you got a circulator rather than  another mixer, you would enjoy all the benefits of SV  and there are many.

do you SV ?  you could cook the custard in a sealed poly bag id you have a circulator

if not, and you got a circulator rather than  another mixer, you would enjoy all the benefits of SV  and there are many.

rotuts,

Check post # 16. SV is not appropriate as some evaporation is called for.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Indeed, I own a circulator.  However as Anna notes, in this case evaporation of the mix is called for.  I aim for evaporation by about a third.

A little over a year ago I reported on a sous vide experiment in which I used condensed milk to remove the requirement for evaporation:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/144208-home-made-ice-cream-2013–/?p=1960786

I bagged up the mix and anovaed it.  Ultimately most of that batch went down the drain.  Besides, trying to vacuum seal about a quart of milk and cream and eggs was not the most fun thing I have done in the kitchen.

But I still have several cans of condensed milk in the bedroom.

I don't need two unused KitchenAid mixers in the living room.

I have 2 unused KA mixers in my living room. I think they make for an interesting décor statement. You would not be alone if you chose to go that direction. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have 2 unused KA mixers in my living room. I think they make for an interesting décor statement. You would not be alone if you chose to go that direction. :rolleyes:

Deryn, can you recommend a self help group?

I spent the afternoon testing out the KitchenAid.  Temperature can be specified in increments of 1 deg F.  With the temperature set to 161 deg F and 1.5 liters of 70 deg water in the bowl, the unit took 23 minutes to preheat to 161, at which time the water temperature measured 132.

After two hours the temperature reached 158.8 and after three hours the temperature had reached 159.0.

PreciseHeatMixingBowl04252015.jpg

The water temperature may have been asymptotically approaching 161 but I doubt it was going to get much higher than 159.  Note the bowl temperature was reading 162.  The bowl temperature reading was varying between 161 and 162, occasionally 163.  And for those who are wondering, my thermapen matched the Agilent.

These measurements were made with the lid on.  With the lid removed the temperature eventually fell to 141.  There probably is a bowl temperature setting that will result in a constant 161 temperature of the liquid.  I just have to find it.

I was impressed however that the water temperature held within two tenths of a degree Fahrenheit over the course of an hour, even if it was two degrees below the setting.

Also, during the course of the experiment the outer bowl of the KitchenAid got no warmer than the iPad with which I took the picture.

• Like 2