• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sliceable fruit cremeux recipe

Bojana

Hi,

I am looking for a sliceable, freezable fruit cremeux or similar recipe to use as a filling for a cake. It can also be yolk free but I am after a creamy, smooth texture and nice fruit flavor. I want to make it from cooked rhubarb. Thanks for any pointers,

Bojana 

I've made a rhubarb chiboust that might work.  I never tried freezing it, but was able to slice it. I made a rhubarb gellee and let that set then spread a thicker layer of chiboust on top.  It was then cut into squares with a cookie cutter and layered between crispy phyllo layers in a napoleon.  Reducing the rhubarb juice with some hibiscus flower made a more intense rhubarb flavor and nicer color in the finished product.  This would work best if you are making the cake in a ring or mold, it might be too soft before it sets up to spread as a filling. 

You could also try a white chocolate cremeaux with rhubarb compote added instead of some of the liquid.  A couple of variations to get started with

http://www.patisserieesmeralda.com/2013/08/fresh-mint-cremeux-and-white-chocolate.html 

http://www.starchefs.com/cook/recipe/antonio-bachour/white-chocolate-cremeux-lychee-granita-grapefruit-gelee-campari-meringue

Here's my chiboust recipe -

Rhubarb Chiboust 1/2 sheet      

rhubarb juice 700 g      

dried hibiscus flower 1 tsp                

reduced rhubarb juice 350 g      

cream 225 g      

egg yolks 12 lg      

sugar 120 g      

cornstarch 37 g      

bronze gelatin 4 sheets                

egg whites 8 lg      

sugar 170 g      

glucose syrup 35 g      

water 85 g                

Combine rhubarb juice and hibiscus flower and simmer until reduced by half.          

Combine reduced rhubarb juice and cream and bring to a simmer.  

Meanwhile, combine egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.  Soften gelatin and set aside.      

Mix hot rhubarb/cream mixture into egg yolk mixture, then return to the pan and cook, whisking, until thick.  Return cooked pastry cream to the bowl and add the softened gelatin.  Stir until gelatin is melted.  Set aside at room temperature.      

Put the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the kitchenaid bowl and start whipping on medium speed.                  

Meanwhile, combine the water and sugars and cook on high until the syrup bubbles thickly.  Slowly stream hot syrup into beating egg whites - the whites should be at soft peak before adding syrup.                

Fold italian meringue into pastry cream until uniform.  Spread over the prepared rhubarb agar and chill until set.                 Unmold and cut desired shapes.  Keep refrigerated.                            

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

http://www.starchefs.com/cook/recipe/antonio-bachour/white-chocolate-cremeux-lychee-granita-grapefruit-gelee-campari-meringue

Here's my chiboust recipe -

Rhubarb Chiboust 1/2 sheet      

rhubarb juice 700 g      

dried hibiscus flower 1 tsp                

reduced rhubarb juice 350 g      

cream 225 g      

egg yolks 12 lg      

sugar 120 g      

cornstarch 37 g      

bronze gelatin 4 sheets                

egg whites 8 lg      

sugar 170 g      

glucose syrup 35 g      

water 85 g                

Combine rhubarb juice and hibiscus flower and simmer until reduced by half.          

Combine reduced rhubarb juice and cream and bring to a simmer.  

Meanwhile, combine egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.  Soften gelatin and set aside.      

Mix hot rhubarb/cream mixture into egg yolk mixture, then return to the pan and cook, whisking, until thick.  Return cooked pastry cream to the bowl and add the softened gelatin.  Stir until gelatin is melted.  Set aside at room temperature.      

Put the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the kitchenaid bowl and start whipping on medium speed.                  

Meanwhile, combine the water and sugars and cook on high until the syrup bubbles thickly.  Slowly stream hot syrup into beating egg whites - the whites should be at soft peak before adding syrup.                

Fold italian meringue into pastry cream until uniform.  Spread over the prepared rhubarb agar and chill until set.                 Unmold and cut desired shapes.  Keep refrigerated.