• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What to do with Pork Rib Trimmings?

IndyRob

I made ribs the other day and just noticed I still have probably over a pound of meat that I trimmed off the whole sparerib.  I know I can braise it and make something like pulled pork or taco/burrito meat.  But does anybody have a more interesting idea?

Puerco Pibil, a household favorite here.  Here's Roberto Rodriguez' recipe:

Sorry, I don't know where I got the actual recipe.  It predates my careful noting of provenance. 

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Puerco Pibil, a household favorite here.  Here's Roberto Rodriguez' recipe:

Sorry, I don't know where I got the actual recipe.  It predates my careful noting of provenance. 

I got the recipe from one of his DVDs - it was an extra feature on Once Upon a Time in Mexico.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399740/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_18

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

It makes some tasty sausage.  You'll need to add some fattier meat with it though.

Isnt that a waste of a cut ? I mean, you can get pork butt on sale for 99c/lb, i never see any cut of pork rib for less then $2.99/lb

A full slab of spareribs has a lot of excess that needs trimming before smoking.  The trimmings amount to quite a lot of meat and need to be used for something. It also adds quite a nice flavor to anything to which it's added. Pork butt is what I was thinking about when I said you needed to add some fattier meat.

Here is an illustration of how much meat trimmings are left after getting a slab ready for smoking.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I just generally cook my slabs of spareribs intact and prefer them that way. Lot's of times I only find St. Louis style, but I don't prefer it.

When I'm in a bind, I may trim some for beans or something, but to me, a regular slab of spareribs cooks up just fine with some care.

Bigos, the national dish of Poland uses spareribs usually to great effect. Trimmings can be used.

> ^ . . ^ <

My brother declared recently that he actually prefers the trimmings off the sparerib to the ribs themselves. I just say they're useful.  :wink:

I lightly cure (#1) the trimmings overnight and then smoke with a spicy rub to make some Tasso-esque product that can be used as called for in various recipes. This also works especially well with the piece of scapula trimmed out of a pork-butt. Perfect in a pot of red beans.

• Like 1

Kansas City has something called 'burnt ends'.  They were originally just trimmings from briskets but the concept of burnt ends has changed from it's origination and now is offered by several restaurants in pork too. I believe the pork spare ribs trimmings are used.  I believe they are smoked along with the ribs, then cubed, seasoned again and smoked a little longer. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

If you make char sui out of the trimmings (rib tips) and baste them with the marinade while slow cooking (oven) then let them chill in the fridge and deep fry to reheat them, they get super sticky like meat candy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...