• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Goes to France!

Thought you might enjoy a peak outside my hotel window.

DSCN4245.jpg

DSCN4246.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

The packaging at this chocolatier was very impressive I thought.  Like postcards really.

IMG_0633.jpg

Next we were off to La Grande Epicerie de Paris.

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

Kitchen aid has two new competitors - the first similar to a thermomix - but without a built in scale.

The other can actually go on the kitchen aid mixer and give you a bain marie while you mix that will heat between 40 C and 140 C I believe.  

IMG_0641.jpg

A random candy shop - reminded me of the candy shops in Provence.

IMG_0643.jpg

This a a cheese monger - the owner is a MOF - many very lovely cheeses.  Asked how much I wanted - I asked for a couple of hundred grams - wrong answer apparently from the distain on the face of the clerk.  That's ok - I have my wafer thin piece of cheese.  Foolishly I thought he might cut it across instead.  Ah well - live and learn.  

IMG_0653.jpg

Obligatory shot of that big tower in the middle of the city.  

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 10

Walking home from the big tower in the middle of the city - we decided to stop for a bit of lunch before Jess caught her train to Burgundy.  

DSCN4238.jpg

Half bottle of nice Provencal rose.  

DSCN4240.jpg

Can't help picturing all those frogs in wheelchairs now.  

DSCN4241.jpg

Can't eat without bread!

DSCN4242.jpg

Steak frite.

• Like 9

Found a little spot called Cafe Mucha a little way up the street.  

DSCN4249.jpg

A negroni

DSCN4250.jpg

Lamb chops with green beans

DSCN4251.jpg

Creme Brûlée

• Like 10

Kitchen aid has two new competitors - the first similar to a thermomix - but without a built in scale.

The other can actually go on the kitchen aid mixer and give you a bain marie while you mix that will heat between 40 C and 140 C I believe. 

Interesting... I think I'll go dig around on google and see if I can learn a little more about them.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

How did your anti-jet lag preparations work for you?  Were they successful?

Yup - I've done it about 3 times now - gone are the days of barfing in the bidet at 3am with a nasty headache.  I was fine the day of arrival and woke up the next morning still fine.  

I'm going to endeavour to do it again for the return flight - I've had problems sticking to that before - but I suspect the short term pain will result in long term gain in the westerly direction as well.  

Ah - well it's feasting days and fasting days (not totally fasting) - it's hard to do the fasting days in France!  I'm not a coffee drinker - but I do drink gallons of tea in a day.  So it's challenging to change from my orange pekoe to something like Rooibus.  You are allowed caffeine between 3 and 5 pm - but invariably I'm not near my tea pot at that time and feel deprived.  

Interesting... I think I'll go dig around on google and see if I can learn a little more about them.

I had the same thought myself!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A negroni AND lamb chops? Now that is just cruel.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry is running into difficulties posting to eG. We seem to be a little too risqué for the French!

I will attempt to post the information she sent me via email.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So breakfast this morning at Un Dimanche à Paris - which is owned by Pierre Cluziel - son of Michael Cluziel. We had a talk about Paris Chocolatiers from Chloe Doutre-Roussel. This was followed by a nice lunch of salad, some sort of fish and assorted desserts.

Then we boarded the train to Tain L'Hermitage in the Cote de Rhone area where Valrhona is located.

A nice dinner out at la Quai - http://www.le-quai.com/

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited to add I suspect this last image is out of order.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Posting for Kerry!

image.jpg

Breakfast at the hotel.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lunch at the school.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

This all looks so delicious! Thanks, Anna and Kerry! I too would like to know more about those round things. It looks like they were served alongside pickles and olives.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This all looks so delicious! Thanks, Anna and Kerry! I too would like to know more about those round things. It looks like they were served alongside pickles and olives.

Kerry says:

Sort of a spinach filled meat ball with I think caul fat wrapped around it.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner was had in the dining room of a little hotel across the Rhone. A 20 minute walk or so.

image.jpg

Foie with vanilla cereal toasts.

image.jpg

A smoked salmon crouton salad for one of the students with me.

image.jpg

Sweetbreads.

image.jpg

Creme brulee cassis

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The walk back across the river.

I can hear the 10 PM church bells ringing now.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry says:

Sort of a spinach filled meat ball with I think caul fat wrapped around it.

They look like caillettes, a pork and liver sausage with greens that's traditionally made with chard and wrapped in caul fat.

I learned of them from David Lebovitz's book "My Paris Kitchen" and had mixed success making them--posted here and here.  They;re easy and very good when made well. In the absence of caul fat, David uses bacon, but I've mostly stopped bothering. I've since tweaked the recipe to my liking based on one in Julia Child's MTAFC2 and it's easy to find recipes online if you're interested.

Thanks for taking us along, Kerry.

• Like 2

More photos from Kerry. I believe this is lunch at Valrhona.

image.jpg

Salade Nicoise

image.jpg

Ratatouille

image.jpg

Veal

image.jpg

Cheese course

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dessert. Passion fruit with likely Dulcey

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog