• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long can sofrito last in fridge compared to XO sauce?

torolover

I made a big batch of Ivan Ramen sofrito made of only onions, garlic, ginger and apples cooked in oil for 4 hours with no salt.  How long can I keep this in the fridge?

David Chang has a recipe for XO sauce (shallots, garlic, dried shrimp, dried scallop, country ham) which he saids can keep forever in the fridge.  Why does the XO sauce last so long compared to my Sofrito?  Is it because of the salt content and preservatives of the dried shrimp/scallops?

Thanks!

When I make something that I want to store for as long as possible, I use storage bags and press them until all the air comes out, as opposed to putting the stuff in a plastic container with lid.  

Something like sofrito I'd trust for 2-3 week, but I give it a good long look and smell, after 2 weeks.  My DH and I have lead guts usually so we don't worry that much for ourselves, however, for guests, I err on the side of extreme caution, especially with older friends and relatives.  

• Like 1

Why does XO sauce last indefinitely?  Is it because there are preservatives in the dried scallops, dried shrimp or the ham?  

XO sauce is basically sofrito with added dried scallops, dried shrimp and sausage or country ham. 

Edited by torolover (log)