• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert: No wheat, egg, peanut, tree nut, barley, arrowroot

gfron1

Why should you expose kids to the lowest quality ? Kids are not stuck behind filters but often exposed to bad quality. If you expose them early on to good quality ingredients they will choose and appreciate higher quality ingredients and good food in general

Absolutely. The difference being, it was stated by his parents that Hersheys is his only option. Hersheys is not the best chocolate but it's a lot better than no chocolate for someone who has no options to compare it to. The reason you know Hersheys is inferior to Valrhona is because you've tried both. He hasn't and apparently can't. So in his world, Hersheys is the best chocolate in the whole world.

Larry, you know I'm just being my usual smart ass, but of course I agree, and I think you do to, that Honkman is right. I think what mom was saying is that Hershey is the only brand that she knows of that actually states that their chocolate is not made in the same place as nut confections. Probably true. I know I wasn't up for cleaning my chocolate area for them.

I didn't think otherwise. I'm enjoying being able to have these types of discussions with you again. I do agree that Honkman is right in a big picture sense but this is an individual and unique circumstance where what may be at the bottom end of our "best" list is his entire list. So you would be giving him the best chocolate in his world... even if it doesn't even rank in other people's world.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Meringue can also be made with the can residue of chickpeas and other legumes, which apparently doesn't differ that much taste and texture wise from the real thing. No eggs recquiered, just google to find gospel for vegan meringue.

I've not heard of this - fascinating.

You could make an entremet style cake: layers of mousse, cake, crispy-cookies, surrounded by rolled cake and topped with the showroom-finish glaze. Mousse can be stabilized with gelatine, or white chocolate to avoid the eggs, and can be in fruit flavors or chocolate. Verrines would also be a good option.

Lisa - this is how I'm leaning.  I haven't looked up the wowie or wacky cake, but I'm guessing its similar to my vegan cake. The trouble with that cake is that its crumbly  once it cools. Which is fine in an entremet style. So, cake disk (soaked), fruit mousse, cake, and mousse with glaze and if I'm up for it a sorbet like was mentioned early. I'm going to sub out amaranth for the nutmeal I normally would have put in.  They're coming back tomorrow so I'll let you all know how it goes very quickly.

• Like 1

Absolutely. The difference being, it was stated by his parents that Hersheys is his only option. Hersheys is not the best chocolate but it's a lot better than no chocolate for someone who has no options to compare it to. The reason you know Hersheys is inferior to Valrhona is because you've tried both. He hasn't and apparently can't. So in his world, Hersheys is the best chocolate in the whole world.

I didn't think otherwise. I'm enjoying being able to have these types of discussions with you again. I do agree that Honkman is right in a big picture sense but this is an individual and unique circumstance where what may be at the bottom end of our "best" list is his entire list. So you would be giving him the best chocolate in his world... even if it doesn't even rank in other people's world.

T2C - normally I would agree about not being to pedantic to always provide the highest quality ingredients and we tell our daughter not to spit out food when she doesn't like it (which happens very rarely and mostly when Indian food is way too hot for her) but Hershey was one of the rare occasion where i broke my own rule when i tried it for the first time. I think Hershey is absolutely disgusting and has nothing to do with chocolate and it is one of the rare occasion where not having chocolate is better than having this crap. And just because he never tried high-end chocolate doesn't mean we have to give him the absolute lowest quality (and I might be wrong but it is hard to imagine that no other chocolate would be "save" enough for him)

Edited by Honkman (log)

And just because he never tried high-end chocolate doesn't mean we have to give him the absolute lowest quality (and I might be wrong but it is hard to imagine that no other chocolate would be "save" enough for him)

I agree with you on this as well. The only reason I'm continuing to stand by what I said is because this is a unique situation. Not only would Rob have to search out a better alternative and be absolutely confident about it but he would have to convince the parents to trust him on it against what they believe to be true. But I'll drop it and let the discussion move forward because I agree completely with every argument against what I suggested that has been brought up... in almost any other situation.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

You could make an entremet style cake: layers of mousse...

This is what I was thinking.  I once did a tongue-in-cheek Entreme Americaine that almost fits the bill.  Start with a springform pan with a thin layer of brownies (which would have to be replaced by anything suitable that can hold its shape- I'm thinking something granola-ey).  Then a layer of chocolate ganache, then some whipped cream with cocoa and confectioner sugar with finely chopped chocolate bits.  The top was originally to be a Gelee of Yoohoo (the tongue-in-cheek part), but I discovered that Yoohoo has no flavor so I dissolved some gelatin into some hot chocolate, poured as thin a layer as I could get and put the whole thing in the fridge.  I got a really nice glossy top.

I'd serve a thin slice of that with a quenelle or two of vanilla eggless ice cream.  Maybe with some hot fudge sauce.

I wouldn't deviate from Hershey's chocolate.  It's not bad chocolate even though it's not the best.  Kids won't appreciate a froo froo bitter chocolate.  They have very delicate taste buds.

Edited by IndyRob (log)

The wowie cake (aka wacky cake) doesn't crumble; I've used it as layers in a wedding cake (vegan wedding); actually you could make him a layer cake with this recipe and the type of frosting that has confectioners sugar, butter and use almond or rice milk for the usual milk that is used to make it creamy. (for the vegan wedding I did the whimsical bakehouse frosting with all shortening). And it would work for a layer in the entremet; you can slice it (torte it), but it's a coarse cake when made with the GF flour so you can't get the usual thin layer you'd want for an entremet.

the ingredients for a 9x13 single layer would be: 3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup Hershey's, (mix this in a bowl); then I put 2 cups water, 2/3 cup veg oil, 2 TBL white vinegar and 2 tsp vanilla in a pitcher, then mix it all together; some pleaces say you can use a mixer and I did, when I needed the wedding cake, but usually just by hand until it all comes together.  Then in the sprayed pan, bake at 350 til a toothpick comes out clean.  I have subbed out almond flour and hazelnut flour for the Hershey's in equal measure for when I needed a non-chocolate version.  I also used the Bob's Red Mill flour replacer in the chocolate version and it worked.  That Cup4Cup client used the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe but that won't work for you because it has eggs.

• Like 1

I'd serve a thin slice of that with a quenelle or two of vanilla eggless ice cream.  Maybe with some hot fudge sauce.

Sorry to quote my own post, but after further reflection, what dessert deprived child would not be delighted with a hot fudge sundae?  In Detroit, a company called Sander's was famous for their Hot Fudge.  This is a good replica recipe.  The brands mentioned are important (normally, I'd pish posh such a notion - but here I'm sticking to it because I know the real thing and have tried this one).....

http://www.therecipedetective.com/recipes/Sanders_Hot_Fudge.html

Edited by IndyRob (log)
  • Like 1

If you really want that boy to be happy, then remember the saying "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime". It's great that you want to make the best dessert you can for him. But it's quite strange that his parents only let him eat fruit as dessert in the past 3 years. These restrictions are heavy but not impossible, they could make some fine and simple desserts just with a bit of creativity. If they talk about that kind of low quality chocolate (never tasted it since I live in Italy) and haven't figured out what kind of desserts they can prepare for their children, then most probably they are not that savvy about food. Trying to explain them that they can prepare good desserts with those restrictions and giving them some basic recipes and informations (just as a start) would make that boy more happy than serving him the best dessert in the world just once and then returning to fruit everyday.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

I forgot to mention that I have had success with making chocolate (recipe uses cocoa) mayonnaise cake (RLB has a good, weight-based formula in the Cake Bible) with Vegenaise instead of mayo. It does make a very delicate, slightly crumbly cake that is not appropriate for a regular layer cake, but, I have made good cupcakes with it. (had a very notable disaster with it trying to make an 8" double layer cake) Making discs in a straight-sided muffin tin (Chicago Metallic sells one) should work fine.

Butter scotch pudding has  corn or potato starch in it and  that wasnt a no go, so that could work.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Here's a link to a site that has all different flavor wacky cakes -- vanilla, lemon, spice, etc. for variety. 

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/10-amazing-crazy-cakes-no-eggs-milk-butter-or-bowls/

Rice pudding made with coconut cream can be pretty yummy, too. 

Baked apples stuffed with chopped raisins or dates, brown sugar, cinnamon.  Or saute apple slices until soft, then flavor and serve in a tart shell or with sorbet. 

Sweet potatoes can make great tart fillings, with lots of brown sugar and coconut cream. 

Baked bananas with honey and lemon juice, or frozen banana with chocolate shell.

Just started to make the cake and realized that all of the recipes call for flour which he can't eat, and then went to grab my GF mix and it contains arrowroot. Heading to our co-op to see if they have a GF mix that doesn't have arrowroot

Bobs Red Mill mix fits the bill

Gotta love Bob's Red Mill.

• Like 2

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

gfron:  The recipe I  showed has  gluten free and  gluten recipe on the same page, so  there was glutenfree alternative,

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

This is why we do what we do. Here's what he got:

10995479_10153178285214845_8440807706746

It may not look like much, but there are two layers of cake (using Bobs Red Mill GF mix to avoid the arrowroot in my mix), sandwhiching a vanilla panna cotta (you can see it oozed a bit), topped with hot fudge (ganache using Hershey special dark chips which are still way sweet enough for a kid), torched meringue (chickpea broth - very cool stuff although a bit scary to me), and vanilla eggless ice cream using stabilizer to get the texture right.

I asked the boy what he was used to getting and he said he hasn't had a dessert in a restaurant EVER, and at home he only gets fruit, rice pudding and sorbet. I said, "Those aren't really desserts are they?" And he beamed because I understood (in my own personal sugar journey) that those weren't substantive enough to satisfy. He was very happy. Lotta work for $4.95, but very worthwhile to see how happy he is.

• Like 20

That looks yummy. I feel sad  that the mum cant think out side the box, there is butterscoutch pudding and chocolate puddings without egg and with whipped cream that is a treat. There is even egg less custard.

• Like 2

I asked the neighbor down the road who has children with severe allergies and two with celiac disease how she copes with the problem of desserts.  One of the kids is also a "brittle" diabetic, wears an insulin pump, so she is also limited in the types of sweeteners she can use.

She depends on granulated stevia products for most desserts.

She says she has had excellent results with pies made with a gluten-free pie crust and the favorite is an eggless lemon curd (also works with other pureed fruits) that is thickened with xantan gum (another Bob's Red Mill product - which she also uses in other baked goods. 

She has a "recipe" for a vegan meringue that is made with flax seeds, she got it from a vegan pamphlet from the local health food store but is sure it is also online.  It tastes better than other substitues she has tried and the kids like it better. 

I found this link online    and this one for  marshmallows made with the flax goo.

Since I know you like to "experiment" - I thought these might interest you.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You made him happy. I never doubted for a second that you would. I'd join him in eating that dessert, Hersheys hot fudge and all. Although, I'm not entirely sure about the chickpea meringue. That's a new one to me... but I'd try it.

I ate an extra one but threw salted peanuts on it and OMG was it good in a very decadent way. Larry, try the chickpea meringue - pretty amazing stuff. Short shelf life - maybe 30 minutes but while its alive its really quite good.

• Like 4

Larry, you know I'm just being my usual smart ass, but of course I agree, and I think you do to, that Honkman is right. I think what mom was saying is that Hershey is the only brand that she knows of that actually states that their chocolate is not made in the same place as nut confections. Probably true. I know I wasn't up for cleaning my chocolate area for them.

Belcolade is peanut and tree nut free and processed in a facility free of them.

• Like 1

Rob,

That looks AWESOME!   I bet that young man was smiling ear to ear.... I know I would be! :smile:

As for the Wacky cake...that one is terrific.  I made it for a demonstrative speech when I was in college. Pulled a "Martha" and had one all baked, and served it up to the whole class at the end of the speech.  The recipe came from an old Quaker lady, and it called for sifting all the dry ingredients together in the pan; then make three ditches. Into one ditch went the oil; the next one went the vanilla, and the third one..the vinegar. Then you'd pour the water all over it- stir gently and watch it fizz. Then bake it. It was fantastic! Works well for GF.

Have you experimented with Chia seeds at all?  It makes a great pudding- mixed with coconut milk/cream, vanilla, cinnamon.   It needs to sit for a couple hours or over night.  Comes out kinda like tapioca with black dots.  Looks like you got this covered though!

• Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin: