• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

ElsieD

Where to eat in Newfoundland

We are going to Newfoundland in August for two weeks. We start in St. John's and leave from Deer Lake. We will be traveling along the coast covering most of the island. Does anyone have any suggestion on where to eat? I'm looking for anything from casual to fine dining. I know The Inn on Fogo Island has a great restaurant but that is all I know.

Hello Elsie,

Great to see tourists coming to Newfoundland! It's a wonderful place to visit. I have eaten in most of the restaurants in St. John's and I can make a few suggestions. 

At the high end, Raymonds is probably the best restaurant in town. It has been getting lots of national and international attention in the past few years. Their specialty is local seafood. I have not eaten here but I have heard it is amazing. Also at the high end is the One11 Chophouse. It is a steakhouse specializing in dry-aged beef. They have one of the best steaks I have ever eaten (and I have eaten a lot of steak!). At both of these restaurants you will spend $100+ per person.

There are tons of restaurants in the mid range that are good. Stay away from the chain restaurants and go with one of the local options. Here are some recommendations: Piatto (great thin-crust pizza, my favorite restaurant in town), Bacalao (local seafood and meat, great cocktails), Chinched (local food and charcuterie), The Club (upscale pub-style food, great atmosphere). These restaurants are probably in the $30-50 per person range.

On the low end there is not as much selection. Some of the good, affordable restaurants are: Ches's (Fish and Chips), Gracie Joes (small local restaurant, cash only), Saigon Bistro (Vietnamese Food), Magic Wok (Chinese Food)

All of these restaurants are in downtown St. John's or nearby. There are tons of other good restaurants in town that I didn't mention. I don't get out of the city much so I don't have any recommendations for the rest of the island. Hope this helps!

Also, make sure to pack a raincoat. It can get pretty wet here in the spring :)

Edited by DGoosney (log)
  • Like 1

Sadly I have not been to the rock.

The Canadian Culinary Champion representing the rock was Aqua Kitchen & Bar in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador, it’s Chef MARK McCROWE.

That should be good as I have been to the finale in Kelowna and all the city champion chefs are very talented.

Have a great trip.

Thank you both of your responses. We are spending 4 evenings in St. John's so your suggestions are welcome, both for the fine dining suggestions and the more casual places. I hope someone else might chirp up about where else to eat. We are going around the Avalon Peninsula then up through Clarenville, around the Bonavista Peninsula to Gambo. The current plan is to also visit Twillingate (we may do the coastal route around Gambo, Musgrave Harboue, etc.) and from there, we cross over to the west side eventually doing the loop to L'Anse aux Meadows and back down to Deer Lake. If there is time to do all that, that is. I'm busy plotting distances, etc. DGoosney, I have been there a few times before but not lately and my husband has never been. I am excited about going because I love the place. If I recall correctly, I was there one other time in August and bakeapples were in season. I even brought some fresh ones back to Ottawa!

bumping this up as we will be heading north the end of June/early July for birding, icebergs and Gander.  We will be checking out Witless Bay, Gander, up to the L'Anse aux Meadows and in Labrador up as far as Cartwright.  John just wants seafood....pasta....few vegetables.  I am just looking for interesting LOCAL foods.

• Like 1

@suzilightning  did you manage to have a  look blog at the blog I did on Newfoundland?  It lists a lot of the restaurants we ate at.  Are you staying on the western side and Labrador or are you also going to the Eastern side?  We have taken two trips there and the first-year included the Northern Peninsula.  If you want any tips on where to stay, let me know.  We are going again on June 23 coming back July 1.  Any chance we might run in to each other?  We are flying in to Stephenville, on the western side but ending up In St. John's.