• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Newfoundland

ElsieD

8 hours ago, chromedome said:

I remember some mention of icebergs being a priority for one or the other of you. Kinda have to go early for those, regardless.

That would be me.  We wanted to see whales, icebergs,  moose and puffins.  We saw whales and a moose, 🙂 but no icebergs nor puffins.😕

We have a lot of moose here in NB, as well. My late wife grumbled once about all the "watch for moose" signs..."I've been watching," she said, "and I haven't seen one in almost 18 months of looking."

It was a clear case of tempting the universe to respond, because the very next day she came around a sharp bend in the road and nearly ran into a big bull (in my little Protege, yet!). She was still having palpitations when she got home.

"People told me 'horse-sized'," she said, "but nobody ever specified 'Clydesdale'..."

She reckoned if it hadn't been for the dangly bits, she probably could have driven right underneath him in the little Mazda.

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

John wanted to see icebergs as well and we did!!!!  3 that were 100 - 150M high...and remember that is only 1/8 of the whole you see.  Saw them off St. Anthony's as well as  bergy bits and salt ice that had built up.  As we were heading back by St. Anthony's Bight the captain said "Look out there" and there were  6 or 7 all in a row being towed south by the winds and the tide.  Also saw one off of Bonavista and close to there.  NO moose but between Trepassay and St. Vincent's for whales we saw 80 caribou one day and about 90 the next.  Going out with O'Brien's in Bay Bulls to Witless Bay we were surrounded by about 500,000 puffins and almost  1,000,000 common murre.  Saw Northern fulmar(a rarity) and thick billed murre, black legged kittiwake, Northern gannett and razorbill.  Birds were floating in rafts on the sea and swirling in kettles above us.  It was so freaking amazing!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites