• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Working our way to Lancaster, PA --again

Anna N

We last visited Amish country in April of 2013. We shared our meals and other experiences with you and some of you offered suggestions on where to eat. Well we are back in Lancaster and thought you might enjoy a repeat performance.

We left Oakville, Ontario around 8 am and headed over the border into Buffalo where we grabbed a breakfast we could eat in the car. Sneer if you like but it was the best meal we had all day!

image.jpg

Bacon, egg and cheese McMuffin for Kerry

image.jpg

Sausage and egg McMuffin for me.

image.jpg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We meandered through NY state stopping at any promising thrift store but failing to find anything food related.

Mid afternoon we were feeling a bit peckish and decided that diner type food would hit the spot. With the help of the GPS we located two diners in Williamsport, PA that seemed to fit the bill. The first one had gone out of business and the second was closed on Saturdays.

And so we were lured into trying the food at The Bull Frog Brewery.

Perhaps we should have gone screaming out of the door when we discovered our server knew only one word "ABSOLUTELY" which she used at a decibel level just short of painful. It was quite amazing how she was able to make this single word serve any purpose.

Kerry expressed a desire for tea. ABSOLUTELY.

image.jpg

I asked for water. ABSOLUTELY.

Kraut balls. ABSOLUTELY

image.jpg

It became harder and harder to resist the urge to burst into laughter.

The kraut balls (see the menu) had some potential although I felt they could use some additional seasoning.

Kerry ordered the Reuben. Again our instincts should have flagged this as iffy. A reuben with a choice of turkey, pastrami or tempeh does not bode well.

And it was immediately apparent that our idea of a Reuben and what appeared had little in common.

image.jpg

I ordered a roast beef melt thinking I had a fair idea of what such a sandwich should look and taste like. But apparently not despite an ABSOLUTELY that inferred I had made a most excellent choice.

image.jpg

Kerry did manage to choke down 1/2 of her sandwhich but I couldn't get my head around a roast beef sandwich that tasted like a misrepresented pulled pork something or other.

So we left there still hungry. But our day of despair was about to take yet another turn for the worst.

Edited to try and fix link to bullfrog brewery. Unsuccessful

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

We decided to grab something to eat from a grocery store rather than look for a restaurant at 9 pm.

There was a Giant Grocery store within spitting distance of our hotel so we figured in 10 mins we could be there and back with some food to prep in our very tiny kitchen.

image.jpg

Ah. What we didn't count on was the Bible College very near our hotel which apparently attracts at least half of the population of Lancaster on a Saturday evening and had just let out as we decided to grocery shop. Total traffic gridlock.

After some consultation with our GPS we found our way a half hour later in another Giant Grocery much further away.

We shopped and Kerry very wisely opted for cheese and crackers. I spotted a small ham and cheese sub and began salivating.

We picked up a selection of local chips cooked in lard to determine which we liked the best.

image.jpg

Also two packs of Lebanon baloney and a few other odds and ends. Great.

Now to pay for our shopping and head back to the hotel.

Not so fast. The lineup at the checkout was miles long and the two checkers (both young men, one checking, one bagging) were in animated conversation while tired and hungry shoppers fumed. Just as we finally unloaded on to the belt, two more lines were opened up.

Back at the hotel we unloaded our groceries into the tiny fridge in our tiny kitchen.

image.jpg

I tore off the wrappings from my ham and cheese sun and..... For the love of heaven why, oh why, does ham need to taste like sugar syrup? Couldn't eat more than a single bite. Still hungry and thoroughly disgruntled, I ate a handful of Lay's sour cream and onion chips and went off to bed.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna says we didn't find anything food related in our thrift store shopping - however I think the Cuisinart Little Pro that I picked up for $4.99 counts!  They are such good little food processors!  

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

Very nice!!!

Buffalo to Williamsport?

You passed through my stomping grounds!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Yeah, greater Finger Lakes area.

Technically, I'm in the Southern Tier of NY but I grew up in Tioga County, PA.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So there is good food to be had in Lancaster, PA! Today we were invited to brunch at Annie Bailey's Irish Pub and Restaurant by a former Society Member and his wife. The food and the company were both exemplary.

image.jpg

Corned beef hash topped with eggs over lightly for the member's wife.

image.jpg

Celtic Eggs Benedict for Kerry.

image.jpg

Irish breakfast for me.

image.jpg

The former member built his own omelette with bacon, asparagus and cheddar cheese.

Edited to add. This was our second visit to Annie's as we were there also with the same member in 2013.

Edited again to add this photo as Kerry complained that I had missed the "money shot".

image.jpg

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

THAT is my kind of brunch!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

How long are you down here, and are you planning on getting any closer to Philadelphia?

I've heard great things about Bullfrog's beers a few brewers ago... are they ABSOLUTELY still worth drinking, or has that business taken a turn for the worse more generally.

Edited by cdh (log)

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

How long are you down here, and are you planning on getting any closer to Philadelphia?

I've heard great things about Bullfrog's beers a few brewers ago... are they ABSOLUTELY still worth drinking, or has that business taken a turn for the worse more generally.

Heading back Tuesday unfortunately - and not gettting any closer to Philly.  Would have enjoyed dropping by and having a visit!

I suspect their beers are quite nice ABSOLUTELY - we didn't get around to trying any though.  

• Like 1

So after much googling and back and forth about where we would eat last evening we settled on Carr's in downtown Lancaster. We had been very careful to check their hours as many places are not open for Sunday dinner. Once again we were foiled.

image.jpg

That notice says they were closed on Sunday, April 12 for a private function!

The Dispensary which is kitty-corner offered a menu that held no appeal. We wandered down an alley and found The Taproom which seemed to be rocking and had spilled out onto sidewalk tables even though it was still pretty chilly. However we are not really "rocking" people so we gave it a miss also.

By then I had lost all hope. McDonald's was starting to look good. But Kerry is persistent. On the opposite side of the road from The Tap Room stands The Pressroom.

Through the window we could see musicians setting up. And while the patrons seemed a happy lot we also got the impression that perhaps it was a members only club. But Kerry could see a hostess and decided we would go in and check out the menu.

Duck breast and rack of lamb trump loud music any day. We asked to be seated as far away from the music as possible and were lead to the rear of the restaurant.

Our experience there will probably turn out to be the highlight of this trip. Our waiter, I refuse to call him a server, had the knowledge that all good waiters have of how to engage with diners. He knew when to be serious and formal with a certain set of diners and how to interact jovially with another set.

I saw that they had some featured cocktails on the menu that were riffs on standard classics but I really wanted a simple unadulterated Negroni and asked if he thought that was possible. He seemed to think they might manage to produce one.

image.jpg

His charm was such that when my drink arrived looking and tasting nothing like a Negroni, I did not feel but the tiniest bit of annoyance.

Kerry who is on a jet lag diet preparatory to a flight to France on Wednesday needed something carb heavy. She chose the seafood bucatini.

image.jpg

I who have no such limitations selected the rack of lamb. [image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

A shame about the botched attempts at meals; glad you redeemed them.

Many years ago, en route from Philly to Gettysburg via the "scenic route" through Lancaster County, we stopped at a German restaurant on the side of the road. My companions could have left me there for the remainder of the trip. The sausages, the potato pancakes, the spaetzle, the red cabbage -- delightful. Wish I could remember the name and the location.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A shame about the botched attempts at meals; glad you redeemed them.

Many years ago, en route from Philly to Gettysburg via the "scenic route" through Lancaster County, we stopped at a German restaurant on the side of the road. My companions could have left me there for the remainder of the trip. The sausages, the potato pancakes, the spaetzle, the red cabbage -- delightful. Wish I could remember the name and the location.

Thanks. It is all part of the experience. For some reason Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine was not ranking as high with us as it has in the past.

My 2004 eG Blog

Kerry did not feel she had quite met her high carb requirements for the day so when we were offered a dessert menu she accepted. The cinnamon roll seemed carby enough for anybody but she asked for it to go so we could enjoy it in the comfort of our hotel room with our feet up and a hot drink at hand.

image.jpg

It was terribly, terribly disappointing. Tough and under cooked all at the same time and someone in the kitchen had a really, really heavy hand with the cinnamon. Oh well. Neither of us are dessert people anyway.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I've never heard of a "jetlag diet"... can someone please fill me in?

Here's some info but if you google you'll get lots of information.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Also two packs of Lebanon baloney

One of my favorite things. A large part of the reason I want to build a curing chamber is so that I can attempt to learn to make it.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

One of my favorite things. A large part of the reason I want to build a curing chamber is so that I can attempt to learn to make it.

Well I wanted to like it and I tried two slices and you are welcome to my share!

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you go for the sweet (ick) or the salty smoked Lebanon Bologna?

The sweet "ick".

My 2004 eG Blog

The sweet "ick".

I've never had the sweet. The smoky, salty type is right up there with the best summer sausages I've had but with even more tang.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.