• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat-in-package snacks

radtek

I admit it's a guilty pleasure but I just love these junk burritos. Usually I just nuke them but the chimichanga should be crispy. 

IMG_20150407_114822.jpg

So looking into baking it in the convection oven and:

IMG_20150407_114910.jpg

Both of the burritos can be heated in their packaging @375*. That's what I get for finally reading the directions. I know various types of plastic can handle high heat but this is pretty amazing. I wonder if this helps crisp the chimichanga up? Will have to try...

Well I can attest from old experience that in the package the flour burrito does better in the micro than out of it in the oven.

I was thinking of cutting the chimichanga in half and do a side by side. But then the contents might ooze or dry out. I think the burrito needs to be kept inviolate. It's a delicate balance anyway as they can rip open and make a mess.

This means I get to buy another chimichanga and do an experiment...

• Like 1

IMG_20150407_173033.jpg

Well she was a "ripper" this time. Sans packaging it crisped up somewhat, but not the fried goodness I love in a chimichanga. Not that great.

Thinking that the flour beef and bean in the package might steam and I actually like the idea of that. The tortilla becomes almost pasta-like.

Well having never had one, (Canada eh!), I think it looked better before you cooked it lol

Another thought, microwave to heat/cook then pan fry in a little oil, hey we're heading to where man has never gone before.

p

• 2 months later...

Kahtiki spring rolls come in a wrapper that helps crisp up the outsides in the microwave. You just open the ends and nuke them and they come out crisp. The wrapper is some kind of plastic but the inside is that dull silvery grey colour. You might remember that special paper you could buy or which would come with microwaveable French fries when that fad was new (maybe they still come that way - I never buy nukable French fries these days). It works in the microwave and I have also used it in the oven. I'm not dead yet but using plastic in the microwave or oven always worries me a bit.