• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would you bake...?

kitwilliams

So when it is cold and drizzly outside and you have nothing but time on your hands what would you whip up and have baking in the oven to warm up the house, scent the air and treat yourself to an afternnoon of coffee or tea and comforting goodies?

I'm making Welsh Cakes. Lightly sweet and chewy with currants. But I'll have to change my criteria above as they are baked on a griddle.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

No question: GINGERBREAD!!!!!!  I've always got ginger in the house in many forms, and there are so many wonderful versions -- wet, dry, cakey, bready -- mmmm, too bad we still have half a fruitcake in the house.

Suzanne got there first. Cold, grey wet=time to make gingerbread.

I don't have to have whipped cream on everything, but I must have it on gingerbread. And I like that cream really cold.

Thank heavens for a sunny warm day here. I'm still recovering from a week of my mother's dinners...which always include dessert.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Cinnamon rolls - fills the entire house with their aroma

Banana Nut Bread.

Also Cranberry Nut Bread, Pumpkin Nut Bread, Carrot Nut Bread, Zuchini Nut Bread - you get the picture.

Corn Pudding. Hearty. Satisfying.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When I started this thread I was thinking back to a cold, wet day in Wales last year. And nothing had ever tasted so good as those fresh Welsh cakes and a pot of tea after a wet day on the Pembrokeshire coast. But damn, why don't my Welsh cakes taste as I remember them? Could be the flour, could be the butter, could be the lard. Could be the baker! Disappointment, to say the least.

So now I'm going to go along with Maggie and Suzanne's suggestion and make gingerbread! Only I think I'll have it with a chilled cider sabayon instead of the whipped cream.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Only I think I'll have it with a chilled cider sabayon instead of the whipped cream.

Super idea! Arghhh, now I might have to try this! And I'd promised: no dessert in January!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

When I started this thread I was thinking back to a cold, wet day in Wales last year.  And nothing had ever tasted so good as those fresh Welsh cakes and a pot of tea after a wet day on the Pembrokeshire coast.  But damn, why don't my Welsh cakes taste as I remember them?  Could be the flour, could be the butter, could be the lard.  Could be the baker!  Disappointment, to say the least.

Or could it have been the fact that it was a cold, wet day in Wales?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Banana bread. Nutty, with chocolate chips. I live near a produce stand, so I have walked there in a snow storm for overripe bananas. Also I make rice krispie treats, not sure why, it started when the kids were young and we were snowed in. My daughter called from college during the first significant snow of the season, said she bought rice krispie treats but it wasnt the same...ah, memories.

English muffins, to be slathered with that really, really good butter from Hope, MN, and homemade apricot jam. While the muffins are raising, brownies or cookies. Keep that oven going!

English muffins, to be slathered with that really, really good butter from Hope, MN, and homemade apricot jam.  While the muffins are raising, brownies or cookies.  Keep that oven going!

Do your home made muffins have all the nooks and crannies? That is one thing I never considered making, I think Thomas does such a good job. What recipe do you use?

Is it still Spring like in MN?

Do your home made muffins have all the nooks and crannies? That is one thing I never considered making, I think Thomas does such a good job. What recipe do you use?

Yes. DOn't know where the recipe came from; it's been on a card in my recipe box for eons. Yes, Thomas does a good job, but the kids really like making them.

And no, it is not spring like here today. But it was yesterday -- 55 degrees, so I took the opportunity to put screw hooks in my pergola and hang new lights. It looks wonderful. We want and need snow. None so far this season.

Yes. DOn't know where the recipe came from; it's been on a card in my recipe box for eons. Yes, Thomas does a good job, but the kids really like making them.

And no, it is not spring like here today. But it was yesterday -- 55 degrees, so I took the opportunity to put screw hooks in my pergola and hang new lights. It looks wonderful. We want and need snow. None so far this season.

Would it be possible for you to post the English muffin recipe or PM it to me? His Handsomeness has tried about ten recipes and hasn't been happy with any of them. When you have the time.

Thanks.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Hhmmm most likely a scone

you tellum hon! Scones, blue cornbread, why not both?

One of these days Ill actually get off my ass and do baklava!~

NYPC: Baklava is amazingly easy and fun to make. Seriously. And most recipes will feed your entire firehouse with stuff to take home.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com