• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Castle in PA?

all-u-care-2

How long ago did White Castle decide to get out of Philly?

I realize the frozen burgers are still available, but I don't wanna hear it from my family when I come home with a box of cheesy-sliders and end up only having two, 'cause they've SCAMMED the rest...

BOB

On my way to Sweet Lucy's yesterday I saw that they have bulldozed the White Castle on Route73 in Pennsauken. There goes my source for sliders.

I have no idea why they gave that location the Kremlin treatment.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

There was one on Broad Street not so long ago. That was good for a few drunken late night slider runs as I recall... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

For years White Castle did very little but expand. Then, at some point a few years back, all the W.C.'s in White Castle's own original home state, Kansas (and most of Missouri), got closed. So they aren't exactly bullet-proof.

Of course what do I know? I'm sitting in an area with 69 White Castle locations (according to their website) within 50 miles of me. Harold & Kumar don't have to drive very far to find a White Castle in New Jersey, no matter what the trailers for that movie seem to say...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The nearest White Castle may be on Route 1 in Edison, NJ, just south of the onramp to the Garden State Parkway, about a 90 min drive north from Philly.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

When I was exiled in Dallas working on my doctorate I drove to Champaign IL with a friend from NJ to go to a conference. When we were deciding which way to drive home I suggested St. Louis since I remembered that about 20 years ago White Castle printed on their boxes "available in these cities: xxx,yyy,zzz" and St. Louis was one.(they are not availabe in Texas) We had no idea where to find one in St. Louis so we stopped at the Arch, and looked them up in the phone book. My friend got on the phone and said "we just got into St Louis and just saw the arch. The only other thing we want to do here is eat some White Castles. Where' s the nearest one"? I'm sure they had a good laugh about that one. One of the advantages of eating them is that they make their presence known hours later. Talk about getting your money's worth. :wink:

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

The nearest White Castle may be on Route 1 in Edison, NJ, just south of the onramp to the Garden State Parkway, about a 90 min drive north from Philly.

If you're in the vicinity of Edison, I'd suggest the White Rose System, in Highland Park. Their burgers are just as greasy and onion laden as White Castle, and taste just as good at 3 AM after the bars close.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

There is WC left in PA. Last time I saw, there was still 1 open on North Craig Street (right by center ave)in North Oakland in Pittsburgh, which is still part of PA. :raz:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

There is WC left in PA. Last time I saw, there was still 1 open on North Craig Street (right by center ave)in North Oakland in Pittsburgh, which is still part of PA.  :raz:

If I remember correctly from my ancient college days in Oakland (and just confirmed at the WC site), that's not a White Castle. It's one of those ersatz WC's that have the white tile look without the genuine slider (or rat burger as we used to call 'em in Northern NJ).

Edited by Sfuffy (log)

It may seem a little silly on first blush, but if you really have a hankerin' for the WC sliders, you might try the Roadside Sliders at Cheesecake Factory. They're an appetizer dish, and I believe you get a plate of six for seven-ish dollars. It's not the same, of course (CF uses a higher quality beef, which, in this one case, isn't necessarily a good thing), but they are rather tasty.

• 10 years later...

So for you Philadelphians who dont know, there is a White Castle in Allentown, Pa

There was nothing to do today so I decided we'd drive thru the Lehigh tunnel and then head to White Castle to get my son some sliders.

It is right off route 22. http://i.imgur.com/1UOMF1X.jpg

I got 2 veggie sliders...

Heres the one I ate, showing the Lima beans

http://i.imgur.com/o7Sgt2X.jpg

Here are pictures of the one I did not eat ( I went back and got a real slider)

http://i.imgur.com/fgD2lHy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hX78WBy.jpg

The texture was like an Indian potato and veggie patty, NOT like Morningstar Farms. I wouldnt get it again but others may like it, it did have veggie flavor.

The Burger King Veggie Burger was a MorningStar Farms and it was like cardboard.

Sorry the pics are huge, Im tired of all that driving

BTW the Allentown rest stop has a ROY ROGERS Restaurant

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!