• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special food for today's holiday

ElainaA

What traditions did you carry out today?
Ours:
For breakfast my husband always makes a frittata - something he remembers his grandfather doing when he was a boy. However his grandfather accompanied the frittate with shots of Seagrams.

IMG_20150405_101538.jpg

For dinner: Roast leg of lamb with roasted potatoes, stuffed tomatoes and asparagus.

IMG_20150405_185128.jpg

Dessert: Pastiera - A traditional Neapolitan Easter dessert I tried for the first time this year - a wheat berry and ricotta cake. Really good - much lighter than the ricotta cheesecake that my mother-in-law always made.

IMG_20150405_123724.jpg

IMG_20150405_130245.jpg

Happy Easter, Passover or what ever you celebrate.

• Like 8

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Today I decided to combine my Jewish Heritage (in the form of fried matzah) with my love of cooking Chinese food. I made what I affectionately call "Drunken Matzah". It was nice, but I plan to use the week to perfect my recipe.

• Like 3

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

The most different Easter tradition for us is Povitica bread. It is a Croatian holiday sweet yeast bread with a walnut paste filling.  Someone in our neighborhood would give us a loaf every Easter.  I believe we were the only Irish protestants in the neighborhood.  I don't think I realized that other non-Catholics came out on week-days until I was in my teens. :)  Many years ago I made this a couple times with pecans when my uncle from Arkansas gave me a bag of them each Christmas, but now it is easier to just get a loaf at the Strawberry Hill bakery. 

This picture was last year's Povitica.

DSCN1365_zpsmhb6b3gi.jpg

Here it is on the table this year.  This year I went for a newer variety: the filling was apple cinnamon

DSCN2484_zpstnw0rry8.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9

Well, of course we don't celebreate Easter here in China. Few Chinese have heard of it. But,coincidentally, this year Easter coincides with Qing Ming, the traditional Chinese ancestor worship festival. So it's a public holiday.

Spring Rolls are traditionally eaten. And generally cold food. Fire is seen as inappropriate at this time.

However I ate Sichuan food with some friends and it definitely had fire! Sorry. No Pics. Pay day is next week and new camera shall be acquired.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

So Norm, what's the difference between Povitica and Babka? I've had a couple of Babka recipes staring at me for a few years now and still not got around to making them and then you come along with a picture of an incredibly delicious looking bread called "Povitica" which is new to me but looks really similar to the pictures for the Babka recipes I have. I've already started looking for recipes so I could probably just do some comparing to figure out the differences but it seemed easier to just ask.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Elaina, what recipe did you use for the Pastiera? It's beautiful.

Katie - When I started researching this I found multiple recipes that were extremely different from each other. 5 eggs or 2 egg yolks? 2 pounds of ricotta or 2 cups? 2 cups of sugar or 1/4 cup? Since I have never tasted this (and do not know anyone who has), I started out really confused. I ended up sort of averaging out the recipes. For the pastry I used the pasta frolla (sweet pastry) recipe from The Silver Spoon with the addition of some lemon zest. For the filling I averaged out 3 recipes: Lidia Bastianich's fromLidia's Italian American Kitchen, Sheryl and Mel London's from The Versatile Grain and the Eleanor BeanS (I really like this book) and Michele Sciclone's recipe from her blog. It not only looks beautiful, it tastes great! I was really pleased since this whole adventure started with a reference in a mystery novel I was reading (set in 1930's Naples). I was intrigued by this special Easter dish that I had never heard of. Of course I have since learned that the Italian grocery in Syracuse (NY) not only stocks all the necessary ingredients but also commercially made pastier from a bakery in Brooklyn - which inevitably sell out well before Easter.

Sorry to be so long winded but this really has felt like an adventure.

Elaina

• Like 2

Tri2Cook I have never had Babka so I don't know what differences there are, but here is the recipe I have. It must have been around 60 years ago when my mom asked our neighbor for the recipe.  She was told it wasn't written down but she was welcome to sit in the kitchen while she made it and write down what she did.   This recipe makes 4 loaves if I recall correctly. It's probably been around 40 years since I made this.

Povitica Bread

BREAD:

4 cakes yeast

2 Pints milk

16 Cups flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 Cups shortehing

2 Cups sugar

8 Eggs

Filling

8 cups shelled walnuts pecans

2 1/2 C. milk

1 teaspoon butter

2 1/2 cups sugar

3 tablespoons honey

8 eggs

3 teaspoons vanilla

1 teaspoon salt

BREAD: Heat milk to lukewarm, add yeast and one cup of flour.  Set aside in a warm place for about 30 minutes to “test out”.

Beat eggs well. add sugar, beat to combine. Melt shortening.  To the yeast sponge add the remaining flour and salt a cup at a time alternating the liquids, the melted shortening, beaten eggs and milk.  Mix well, adding more flour only if needed for kneading.  Knead until smooth and elastic, then put in a gresased bowl, turning so that the top of the dough is greased.  Cover with plastic wrap (original recipe said to cover with waxed paper and a damp cloth); set aside in a warm, draft free place.  

FILLING:  Grind nut meats and add 1 tsp salt.  Scald milk and add 1 tsp. butter, the sugar and honey.  Pour hot over nutmeats and mix well.  Beat eggs thoroughly, beat in vanilla and add to nut mixture. Mix well. 

ASSEMBLY: After dough has risen to twice its original size, punch down and divide into to.  roll out on a large clean dish cloth of sheet until the dough is paper thin.  If the dough resists rolling, cover and let it rest a few minutes.  By tablespoons, dot the filling around the dough halves.  Spread with a rubber spatula. Take the ends of the cloth and start rolling up like a jelly roll.  Seal the edges and ends.  Roll end over end and place in a greased bread pan.  Bake 350 degrees 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

• Like 1

Katie - When I started researching this I found multiple recipes that were extremely different from each other. 5 eggs or 2 egg yolks? 2 pounds of ricotta or 2 cups? 2 cups of sugar or 1/4 cup? Since I have never tasted this (and do not know anyone who has), I started out really confused. I ended up sort of averaging out the recipes. For the pastry I used the pasta frolla (sweet pastry) recipe from The Silver Spoon with the addition of some lemon zest. For the filling I averaged out 3 recipes: Lidia Bastianich's fromLidia's Italian American Kitchen, Sheryl and Mel London's from The Versatile Grain and the Eleanor BeanS (I really like this book) and Michele Sciclone's recipe from her blog. It not only looks beautiful, it tastes great! I was really pleased since this whole adventure started with a reference in a mystery novel I was reading (set in 1930's Naples). I was intrigued by this special Easter dish that I had never heard of. Of course I have since learned that the Italian grocery in Syracuse (NY) not only stocks all the necessary ingredients but also commercially made pastier from a bakery in Brooklyn - which inevitably sell out well before Easter.

Sorry to be so long winded but this really has felt like an adventure.

Elaina

Is the Italian grocer Vince's?

Is the Italian grocer Vince's?

No, Lombardi's on Butternut Street. Where is Vince's? There is little that is more fun than a new food store to explore.

Elaina

Tri2Cook, in northern Minnesota and Michigan's Upper Peninsula it's called "Potica" instead of "Povitica". You may be able to find it under that name. By the way - the locals pronounce it "poTEETsa", despite the way it's spelled. Norm Matthews' recipe looks very good.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

No, Lombardi's on Butternut Street. Where is Vince's? There is little that is more fun than a new food store to explore.

Elaina

This would be Vince's Gourmet Imports at 440 S. Main St. In North Syracuse. As I understand it, the owner is the son of Lombardi's owner. My niece works there which is how I know of it. It's a great store with all sorts of interesting things. Great deli counter too.

Tri2Cook I have never had Babka so I don't know what differences there are, but here is the recipe I have. It must have been around 60 years ago when my mom asked our neighbor for the recipe.  She was told it wasn't written down but she was welcome to sit in the kitchen while she made it and write down what she did.   This recipe makes 4 loaves if I recall correctly. It's probably been around 40 years since I made this.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that one... and hopefully do a better job of getting around to making it than I have with the Babka. The ordering option isn't an option. It might be worth it just to know what it's supposed to be like but their site says they only ship within the U.S. One thing I did notice on the site is the surprisingly extensive variety of flavors. That should make it even more fun to play around with.

Tri2Cook, in northern Minnesota and Michigan's Upper Peninsula it's called "Potica" instead of "Povitica". You may be able to find it under that name. By the way - the locals pronounce it "poTEETsa", despite the way it's spelled. Norm Matthews' recipe looks very good.

Thanks for that information. I think Norm has given me the perfect starting place considering the provenance of his recipe but that doesn't mean a little additional research wouldn't be fun.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks for that information. I think Norm has given me the perfect starting place considering the provenance of his recipe but that doesn't mean a little additional research wouldn't be fun.

You bet! I too love the source of Norm's recipe, as well as its sound. My main point was that you aren't all that far from some places you can try it, if you wish to and if you wander south of the border. Check out Zup's sometime if you're in one of their towns (Tower, Cook, Aurora, Ely, Silver Bay, Babbitt). The Italian Bakery in Virginia also used to make it, but I don't know whether they're still in business.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

You bet! I too love the source of Norm's recipe, as well as its sound. My main point was that you aren't all that far from some places you can try it, if you wish to and if you wander south of the border. Check out Zup's sometime if you're in one of their towns (Tower, Cook, Aurora, Ely, Silver Bay, Babbitt). The Italian Bakery in Virginia also used to make it, but I don't know whether they're still in business.

Ahh! I missed that aspect of what you were saying. Thanks again.

Tri2cook, glad you like the recipe.  When I was living on Strawberry Hill, the only way one could get it was from someone in the neighborhood and it was always made with a walnut filling.  Now flash forward to today, the Strawberry Hill Bakery (which isn't on Strawberry Hill) now makes it and they have added a lot of flavors.  As far as i know, they came up with all the new flavors and only the walnut is traditional but they are all good.

When I made it, I used pecans and I loved it with pecans. 

• Like 1

This may be a bit late! But better late than never!

In the old days, the Cape of Good Hope, as it was first known (now known as the City of Cape Town), was not always a happy place for the entire population - there were an abundant number of slaves that were brought to the colony from the East, mainly for the woman folk to work in the kitchens of their masters and the men to work in construction. These unfortunate people made use of their location for celebrating Easter with what they had - plenty of spices off the passing ships out of the East and an abundance of fish to be caught in the bays. To this day the Cape Malay people still celebrate Easter by making a picked fish. Here is the recipe I use - it's tangy and good! Maybe somebody would like to try a batch as it makes a brilliant summer lunch, served with a green salad on the side and a doorstep of bread just out the oven (and a good slathering of salted butter).

CAPE MALAY PICKLED FISH

Ingredients:

2 to 2.5kg firm fish

salt & pepper

oil for frying

750ml brown vinegar

250ml water

170g sugar

1 tablespoon turmeric

3 tablespoons medium curry powder

1½ teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon black peppercorns

4 large onions, finely sliced

6 Bay leaves

170g sultanas (optional - I do not add them)

4 teaspoons flour

Method:

Fillet the fish and cut into cubes - slightly bigger than an inch.

Season lightly with salt and pepper and fry in hot oil until cooked though. Drain on kitchen paper.

In a large saucepan combine the vinegar, water, turmeric, flour, curry powder, salt and peppercorns and bring to the boil.

Add onions and Bay leaves and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes until the onion is cooked but still slightly crunchy.

Layer the fish, sultanas and onion in a large non-metallic dish, pour sauce over and refrigerate.

Keep refrigerated for at least 3 days before eating - keeps for a month in the fridge.

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

JohnT, that looks worth trying to me! What kind of "firm fish" would you recommend? Saltwater fish of some sort? Oily, mild, strong? Red, white? Tuna? Cod? Mackerel?

JohnT, that looks worth trying to me! What kind of "firm fish" would you recommend? Saltwater fish of some sort? Oily, mild, strong? Red, white? Tuna? Cod? Mackerel?

I would recommend a firm white fish. We get what is known as a "yellowtail" off our coast at this time of the year, which is normally used. However, I have often used longfin or yellowfin tuna which I have caught on a hand line off the back of sail boats on my way to St Helena Island. I would not use an oily fish or one that tends to "flake" when cooked.

ETA link to Yellowtail - http://www.wwfsassi.co.za/?m=5&s=5&idkey=911

Edited by JohnT (log)
  • Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Eggs!

Boiled Eggs is the Swedish traditional food for Easter.  Fun fact, the Swede  call it Påsk  which comes from Pesach, yes we use a  word with Jewish roots.  

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I just caught a typo in my earlier post: The title of the Londons' book is The Versitle Grain and the Elegant Bean.  I'm not sure how Eleanor BeanS got in there or who she may be. I like the name though....

Elaina

So Norm, what's the difference between Povitica and Babka? I've had a couple of Babka recipes staring at me for a few years now and still not got around to making them and then you come along with a picture of an incredibly delicious looking bread called "Povitica" which is new to me but looks really similar to the pictures for the Babka recipes I have. I've already started looking for recipes so I could probably just do some comparing to figure out the differences but it seemed easier to just ask.

I've also had recipes for each staring me in the face for quite a while, I think after Passover I will attempt to make at least one of them. It seems to me that Povitica is a much richer bread than the Babka, and it also seems to have a lot more swirls. A few years ago the Daring Bakers made Povitica, and there are a lot of entries for it on Tastespotting. They're beautiful to look at. So are the babkas, but they're much less "swirly." A lot of babkas are rolled up, I've never seen a povitica made that way. I was looking through Gil Marks's Book of Jewish Desserts the other day and he said that babka is traditionally rolled, jelly-roll style, which was news to me, but he generally knew what he was talking about. I like the swirl style better than the jelly-roll style. (But I'll eat either.)

• Like 1

Povitica vs. potica: I wonder whether there is (after all) more than a linguistic distinction?

Here are some photos from about 10 years ago of the (walnut) potica I purchased and thoroughly enjoyed:

gallery_28661_3_28274.jpg

gallery_28661_3_2192.jpg

I'm not getting the paper clip fold business. Does the cross-section of povitica look like this?