• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharing Plates/Double-dipping

palo

My SIL is a veteran double dipper and she thinks I'm rude for objecting to her habit.  She also pours half drunk glasses of wine back into the bottle and cups of coffee back into the pot.   It never bothered my husband but I always refused to eat any of the double dipped/repoured stuff.  Since she has moved across the country and away from us, my husband's colds and minor illnesses have gone way down.  Could be coincidence. 

Makes me gag. 

Edited by SylviaLovegren (log)
  • Like 3

I don't see the problem sharing food in a family.  Obviously you've been intimate with your own children at some point, and children in law and grandchildren are not much of an extension, particularly when growing teenage grandchildren are hungry.  An exception to be made if someone has the flu.

A customer of mine from a middle eastern country once commented unfavorably that his customers, the medical practitioners in a Chinese hospital, ate lunch from a communal plate.

Some of these differences may be cultural.

I won't share with kids, even those to whom I am related.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)
  • Like 1

I go with whatever the people I'm with are comfortable doing.  I will share with almost anyone I know.  We are big huggers and kissers and I figure if I will do that then I'm ok sharing food with them.  Down to and including sipping from drinks and eating from the same fork.  If they aren't comfortable with that, that's ok.  I have some in laws who won't share with their own spouses or children and I do find that a bit odd.  

• Like 2