• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vienna Dining

becky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey, has anyone been to Do & Co Albertina? I have a reservation there for December 27th, and I'm wondering what the level of formality is? I see a lot of articles on the Do & Co on Stephansplatz, but not many on Albertina, so I have no idea.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...
Hey, has anyone been to Do & Co Albertina? I have a reservation there for December 27th, and I'm wondering what the level of formality is? I see a lot of articles on the Do & Co on Stephansplatz, but not many on Albertina, so I have no idea.

Thank you!

How was the food? (and the formality of dress...)

I haven't eaten at either of the Do & Co's but I have eaten at a few good places (less formal) on two trips to Vienna in the two years. I need to round up my notes and post them in here.

Thanks in advance!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 6 months later...

Hello

I'm resurrecting this strand as it seems to be the most up-to-date for Vienna dining.

Can anyone provide recommendations for a week in Nov/Dec? Steirereck and Mraz & Sohn are already on our list...

Any recommendations for a good wine merchant in Vienna without painful mark-ups also glady received.

Regards

ADR

Hello,

you get a wide choice of international and also austrian wines at Wein & Co for a reasonable price. You can visit the website http://www.weinco.at/online/page.php?P=1 . There are three shops in downtown Vienna. Good decision with Steirereck and Mraz & Sohn, these are our favorite places here in Vienna. Watch for Vestibül a new Chef starts this week there. We know the Chef from former restaurants. Enjoy Vienna !