• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vienna Dining

becky

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again,

Len

Hi Jerry_A!

Anything interesting to report back from your trip? I"m gearing up my plans for a trip to Vienna this summer and was looking over this thread. Hope your dining in Vienna went well!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again,

Len

Hi Jerry_A!

Anything interesting to report back from your trip? I"m gearing up my plans for a trip to Vienna this summer and was looking over this thread. Hope your dining in Vienna went well!

Indeed, it went very well! I have been so overwhelmed with work (new job) and planning for a Spain trip this Summer I completely neglected my duties as an Egulleter :blush:

I will definitely post up some pictures and (brief) words about the trip this weekend.

Good luck in your planning!

-Len

• 1 month later...
I never know on what authority or by what standards these choices are made but for what it’s worth May’s Conde Nast Traveler lists 95 “hot tables” that includes Osterreicher im MAK in Vienna.

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience with Oesterreicher im MAK.

Based on what I've read about it so far, it's on my list of places to check out during a trip to Vienna this summer

It's located in the MAK (Museum fur Angewandte Kunst) or Museum for Applied Art that has among other things great collections from the Wiener Werkstaette.

The chef at the restaurant and cafe in the museum is Helmut Oesterreicher who was previously the chef at famed Vienna restaurant, Steirereck mentioned in previous posts. The food at "Oesterreicher im MAK" is desribed as being divided into two menus; one with classic Viennese cuisine and the other with newer interpretations of Viennese dishes.

Here's a link to a menu that has the classic Viennese dishes: click

Here's a link to another part of the restaurant website that has photos of the restaurant: click

It looks like a beautiful setting.

Osterreicher im MAK Gashaus & Bar

5 Stubenring, 1st

Tel: 714 01 21

(Southeastern part of the Ring and northeast of the Stadtpark)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This one was definitely on our list before we went to Vienna, but when we actually got to the restaurant, after hours of wandering the halls of the MAK, it was a little too busy and noisy for our collective mood.

That said, it did look like a great place to grab a bite, but we ended up finding someplace a little quieter to go through our MAK guide and discuss what we had seen.

Regards,

Len

• 2 weeks later...

I’m off to Vienna soon (for 4/5 days), and am only starting to plan things. So a few questions for the experts, if that’s OK.

- It seems that Restaurant Coburg is the top recommendation. How long in advance do you need to make a booking?

- I see that Meinl am Graben is recommended for a good value lunch earlier in the thread, is this still the case?

- Has anyone been to Steirereck, Le Ciel or Stomach recently?

- I read on one of the links that a reservation is necessary for Osterriecher im Mak. It seems to be a relatively informal restaurant, approximately what price is the food there?

- I got this link on one of the sites for a Japanese restaurant, but don’t read German. Is this a good restaurant, do they have a sushi bar or is the sushi bar at Meinl am Graben better? It probably seems like a strange option to seek out, but there are no good Japanese restaurants in Dublin, so I always try to hunt down a sushi fix when I travel!

- Any recommendations for Italian restaurants? I remember having very good pizza the last time I was in Vienna (years ago).

- Also any recommendations for Turkish restaurants?

- Any suggestions about where to eat in the Nashmarket, or should I head for the Brunnenmarkt?

Sorry about the barrage of questions :laugh: … please add anything I might be missing.

Thanks - C

For Sushi, try Kojiro

100 meters from the Karlsplatz, at the border of the Naschmarkt. Japanese businesses order there takeout sushi for evening events, do I need to say more? Incredibly small, exclusively Japanese crew, everything made to order. Top quality under humble appearance. Closes at 5:30 pm!

Brunnenmarkt best on saturday morning, when combined with farmers market at "Hyppenplatz" (top end of Brunnengasse). Don't miss "Staud's" shop there at Hyppenplatz, for marmelades etc. and a freshly pressed vegetable juice. When sopping at Staud's, look for apricot marmelade: they offer it from different "vineyards". Amazing differences in flavour.

Also there (50 m) in the Brunnengasse: "Kent", one of the best Turkish restaurants in Vienna.

Add some typical Wiener "Beisl" (inn): "Zur Stadt Krems", 7th district (a living monument, will be really appreciated when it's gone) or "Pontoni". Simple austrian-bohemian dishes, but well prepared. That's where Vienna dining atmosphere is unique.

Good Viennese restaurants, but not internationally oriented: "Schnattl", "Zum Schwarzen Adler".

Have a nice time.

Edited by Boris_A (log)

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Good Viennese restaurants, but not internationally oriented: "Schnattl", "Zum Schwarzen Adler".

I'll second the recommendation for Schnattl. It may have been the most memorable dining stop of my week in Vienna last fall. Not as posh and haute as Coburg but more comfortable, soulful and satisfying.

I’m off to Vienna soon (for 4/5 days), and am only starting to plan things. So a few questions for the experts, if that’s OK.

- It seems that Restaurant Coburg is the top recommendation. How long in advance do you need to make a booking?

Friday and Saturday: probably a week or two in advance; other days: two days or so in advance. A lot depends on what is happening in Vienna at the time (by which I mean how many potential gastro-tourists are in the city).

- I see that Meinl am Graben is recommended for a good value lunch earlier in the thread, is this still the case?

They have a three-course prix fixe at EUR 35 or so, which is good value indeed. Everything else is subject to "usual" pricing.

- Has anyone been to Steirereck, Le Ciel or Stomach recently?

Hearsay: Steiereck is getting back on track, Le Ciel is still in the doldrums.

- I read on one of the links that a reservation is necessary for Osterriecher im Mak. It seems to be a relatively informal restaurant, approximately what price is the food there?

More hearsay: I have been told that reservations for "Österreicher im MAK" are very hard to obtain; have also been told that there is no reason to make such efforts. There is a webpage somewhere, in English, too. Your favourite search engine will direct you.

- I got this link on one of the sites for a Japanese restaurant, but don’t read German. Is this a good restaurant, do they have a sushi bar or is the sushi bar at Meinl am Graben better? It probably seems like a strange option to seek out, but there are no good Japanese restaurants in Dublin, so I always try to hunt down a sushi fix when I travel!

The best Japanese restaurant in Austria is in the Grand Hotel in Vienna. Unkai is its name. Be aware that this is serious stuff.

- Any recommendations for Italian restaurants? I remember having very good pizza the last time I was in Vienna (years ago).

Do tell me if you ever find good pizza in Vienna! I have never been so lucky. (Well, let's say I have found good pizza, but never anything to throw your hat in the air about.)

- Also any recommendations for Turkish restaurants?

I can't help here. But with so many Turks living in Vienna, there must be some restaurants catering to those of refined tastes.

- Any suggestions about where to eat in the Nashmarket, or should I head for the Brunnenmarkt?

They are very, very different. If you have time, see both. The Naschmarkt is more expensive, the Brunnenmarkt more down-to-earth.

Sorry about the barrage of questions  :laugh: … please add anything I might be missing.

Can't think of anything right now! If you have any further questions, I'll gladly try to help!

Thanks - C

Sorry for getting the quoting all wrong, but I hope it is still intelligible.

Greetings to all,

Charley

(who has to go to bed)

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

I had a good lunch in Reigi in March. None of the other top end places seem to open for lunch on a Saturday. Reigi is one of the less formal places that seem to be earning Michelin stars lately, and is really excellent value. The food is modern rather than traditional.

I have heard nice things about RieGi (note the unusual spelling). It is on my list of restaurants I want to visit soon. (I did try to reserve a table twice on short notice, but they were full. A good sign!)

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

maybe this is the place you will throw your hat in the air,

pizzeria francesco

linzer str. 415

1140 vienna

phone: 9146362

for dinner time, it is better to make a reservation !

www.iragazzi.at, they also have good pizza.

Edited by robos (log)

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. I've been less organised than I hoped, so have only booked Coberg so far. Reigi sounds very interesting too, so hopefully I haven't left it too late to book.

I'll report back!

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. I've been less organised than I hoped, so have only booked Coberg so far. Reigi sounds very interesting too, so hopefully I haven't left it too late to book.

I'll report back!

It probably doesn't matter at all, but if, for example, you are trying to look up restaurants somewhere, the correct spellings are "Coburg" and "RieGi".

Don't worry too much about the RieGi reservation. Unless something special is going on in Vienna (balls or things like that), you should be able to get a table at short notice.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

altwienerhof has closed, the chef died a few years ago. there still exists a altwienerhof at the same adress, but it has nothing to to with the famous altwienerhof of former times. i think the family has sold the house, and the new owner is still using the good old name.

steirereck should be very good at the moment, but i didn't get a table the last times, should be a good sign.

take a look at mraz & sohn, i was surprised the last times i was there.

www.mraz-sohn.at

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the May Travel & Leisure (usually available on the web in a month) there was a big article on "Vienna Wakes Up" that mentioned: Badem Butik, Klub Sioga, Mash Eat Club + Park Princeve and another list that included the famous: Demel, Do & Co Albertina, Fabio's, Indochine 21, Meinl am Graben + Österreicher im MAK mentionned above.

Edited by John Talbott to correct spelling.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

In the May Travel & Leisure (usually available on the web in a month) there was a big article on "Vienna Wakes Up" that mentioned: Badem Butik, Klub Sioga, Mash Eat Club + Park Princeve and another list that included the famous: Demel, Do & Co Albertina, Fabio's, Indochine 21, Meinl am Graben + Österreicher im MAK mentionned above

The first four of these are new to me! Very interesting indeed. It's "Meinl am Graben", by the way (and also "Österreicher im MAK", but I know umlauts are difficult!).

Edited by John Talbott to correct spelling.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Whenever I've been by it, Demel has always been stuffed to the gills with tourists...but if you can manage to fight your way to the back of the cafe, the pastry kitchen is in full view, floor to ceiling. :smile: