• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vienna Dining

becky

This thread is wonderful.

I need to arrange a private dinner during an upcoming meeting in Vienna this spring. We are staying at the Grand hotel and would love to find a nice restaurant with a private dining room within walking distance.

Private dining room that can seat 20

Compete meal, including wine for around 100-125 USD/pp

Any thoughts??????

Any thoughts??????

The best names are posted here already.

I like

Schnattl

for it's atmosphere. It not haute cuisine, but the location is cool. Spend your money left for wine.

It's a bit more than walking distance from Grand hotel: 10 minutes by street car, 5 min by Taxi.

Regards

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.

• 4 weeks later...

Why leave the Grand Hotel at all? Their restaurant "Le Ciel" has a private dining room that should be just right for about 20 people (if memory serves), the cuisine is reliably excellent, and I think you can stay within your budget unless the Euro keeps on climbing. I have eaten there many, many times and have never been disappointed; sometimes even very happily surprised.

Here's a link: http://www.grandhotelwien.com/en/leciel.htm

Hoping you have a very nice trip,

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

• 3 months later...
Why leave the Grand Hotel at all?  Their restaurant "Le Ciel" has a private dining room that should be just right for about 20 people (if memory serves), the cuisine is reliably excellent, and I think you can stay within your budget unless the Euro keeps on climbing.  I have eaten there many, many times and have never been disappointed; sometimes even very happily surprised.

Here's a link: http://www.grandhotelwien.com/en/leciel.htm

Hoping you have a very nice trip,

Charley

We ended up having the meal at Le Ciel in the private dining room. The room was incredibly ornate, with rich murals on the walls. The main dining rooms offered great views if the city.

Having had several meals at Le Ciel, they have blurred into one extended fine dining experience.

A few highlights included:

oysters appetizer with four different sauces...lemograss foam was my favorite

fillet with porcini crust

roasted halibut with a tomato salad

deep fried figs with ice cream.

A few other places we went during our 5 days in Vienna

Café Landtmann (Dr. Karl-Lueger-Ring 4) a good call for a casual lunch outside. The restaurant dates back to when Freud used to spend hours there.

DO & CO (Stephansplatz) Contemporary asian cuisine with great views. I am still recovering from the sticker shock at the sushi bar

Plachutta - This restaurant taught me about the wonders of Tafelspitz.

BEIM CZAAK (across from the post office) a wonderful smokey bar/pub. Inexpensive with a strong selection of Austrian wines, this was a really fun place. The food was excellent. Had the Waldviertler (pork stuffed with bacon, onions, and mushrooms), a fabulous dish.

• 1 month later...
My number-two suggestion would then be Mraz & Sohn. It is situated where one would not expect a very fine restaurant (the Steirereck is also not quite central, by the way), but it is quite superb in many respects. Highly inventive cooking that generally works, excellent wine pairings available for all courses, cheeses in great profusion and perfect condition.

Coincidentally, I was at this restaurant for a business dinner earlier this week and would rate the best of those I have been to in several visits to Vienna. It tries a little too hard to be inventive at times (they served an after dinner treat of homemade cherry pudding in a pop top can), but still very good.

• 3 weeks later...
This is a very belated reply, but it might interest latecomers.

It is my considered opinion that the best restaurant in Vienna (perhaps in all of Austria) is the "Steirereck".

I live in Vienna and spend far too much money on food, so you can trust me a little bit!

Bringing this back up rather than start a new discussion...

I'll be in Vienna this summer for a few days, and then will be moving on to Prague, Budapest, and Tirgu Mures. Every trip, I splurge on at least one fine meal and scrimp the rest of the time. This trip, I'm planning to splurge on Steirereck. However, with three people in the party and me likely picking up the tab, I'm wondering if Steirereck might be too much of a splurge. I e-mailed them and they directed me to their menu on their website but could only find two prix fixe menus for 77 Euros each. Does Steirereck also have an a la carte menu at dinnertime? I had initially planned to have lunch there (which I could definitely afford) but they are closed for lunch during the time I will be visiting. Bad luck for me!

Every time I visited the Steirereck in the evening (over a period of some 25 years), they *did* have an à la carte menu. But as my last time is several months ago, it might be wise to check. (A phone call should do it?)

But: I think the EUR 77 menu is a good deal. You won't end up spending much less if you have three courses à la carte.

I consider the Steirereck entirely worthy of its 4 Gault-Millau toques, which makes the 77 EUR deal a bargain in my eyes; and the wine accompaniment also has a fair price, methinks.

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Every time I visited the Steirereck in the evening (over a period of some 25 years), they *did* have an à la carte menu. But as my last time is several months ago, it might be wise to check. (A phone call should do it?)

But: I think the EUR 77 menu is a good deal. You won't end up spending much less if you have three courses à la carte.

I consider the Steirereck entirely worthy of its 4 Gault-Millau toques, which makes the 77 EUR deal a bargain in my eyes; and the wine accompaniment also has a fair price, methinks.

Charley

I'll ask again when I fax in my credit card confirmation. I had already asked about the menu once and was directed to the prix fixe on the website. If it were just me, I would be fine with EUR 77 but I'm a bit worried about the other folks in my party. Even if the meal is on me, I think they'll balk at the price. However, I'm hoping to work something out with the restaurant where the others won't even know how much things are. Maybe I can pre-order or something...I'll have to ask about that, too.

Another question...According to their website, they strive for "an informal, yet elegant" atmosphere. Just how "informal" is the atmosphere there? I assume no jeans, but must one dress up or would black slacks and a blouse do?

I do assume that you can work out something with the restaurant. They really try to do everything they can for their guests.

Black slacks and a blouse would be fine. It is not an exceedingly formal place. Note, however, that the restaurant is air-conditioned (not frigid, though), so you might want to take a sweater or something like that, too.

I am almost certain you will have a nice evening.

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

• 1 year later...

Last night I ate dinner at a nice Viennese restaurant called Drei Husaren, "Three Husars" to you. (It's near the Cathedral, Weihburggasse #4.)

I had a pumpkin cream soup with a scallop and a dollop of fresh heavy cream. Good, but I would have liked more pumpkin and less cream. And I had a wild rabbit fillet, with juniper sauce, lentils, savoy cabbage, and mashed potatoes formed into the shape of little rabbits and then gently fried. Wild rabbit tastes real different from the farmed rabbit that I generally cook. Delicious.

Cost, with a glass of wine, was 66 euros, including a small entertainment charge for the okay piano player.

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone, I know it has been about a year since this thread was last replied to, but I just planned a vacation to Vienna for this winter and was wondering if most of the recommendations here still hold true?

In a nutshell, I am trying to find the following:

1. One or two fine dining experiences (one for a special occasion). I saw a couple of recommendations in this thread, but a lot can change in a year. Price is not an issue for these places, but I do not want to spend just for the sake of spending.

2. Any local "must-eat-at" places or any particular local specialties that must be enjoyed and where to enjoy them. I know I'm supposed to have a Sacher Torte, but there has been some debate as to where I should go to have it :hmmm:

I'll be there for about ten days or so, so there will be lots of time to pack food into my face :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers, Len

PS: Is it relatively easy to get by without knowing any German? I know only a couple of words and hoping that will suffice.

Interesting that you ask that question at this moment!

Only two days ago, I had one of the finest meals of my life at the Restaurant Coburg:

http://www.palais-coburg.com/html_en/gourmet_restaurant.html

Unfortunately, the web site does not have the menu in English, and the wine list is also truncated: the real thing has over 100 pages!

I had a "Menu Surprise" (5 courses + amuse-bouches, pre-dessert, friandises: EUR 86) with a wine pairing (EUR 75).

I can find no fault with ANY aspect of the meal. It is my considered opinion that this is the finest restaurant in Vienna at the moment. Everyone I know who has been there agrees.

I do not claim to be an expert on the Sachertorte. The Hotel Sacher (where it originated) is a safe bet, of course, although that is where just about every tourist goes, so that it can be a bit crowded and hectic at times. To be honest, I think you will get a very good Sachertorte in just about any reputable café or pastry shop in the centre of town.

Speaking German? Don't worry. Tourism is a huge industry in Austria and the people who work in it have learned that a serviceable knowledge of English is a must. You will also find that most people under, say, 40 speak some English, too, no matter what field they work in. Don't expect the fluency of the Dutch or Scandinavians, though.

Hope you have a great trip!

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Thanks for the reply Charley, it is greatly appreciated.

I had actually been looking at Restaurant Coburg for my special event dinner. I figured the Michelin guide was as good a place as any to start and that was the first restaurant that popped up! Glad to hear you had such an enjoyable meal there! Is this a jacket and tie type place? Just need to know whether to pack for that!

Does anyone have an opinion on RieGi?: RieGiLink it looks really cool, but can not tell what the food is like.

I was also looking at Meinl's restaurant: Meinl Link

Thanks again, Len

Jacket and tie is certainly not compulsory, but you might want to wear that anway if it's a special event? Me, I find that it heightens my sense of expectation, and I am certainly not a jacket-and-tie person.

I think about half the male guests wore ties, and quite a few were not wearing jackets, but sweaters or something similar.

I haven't been to RieGi yet, but have heard good reports; it sounds very promising. I hope to eat there before winter, I'll let you know how it was!

I know Meinl am Graben quite well. Interestingly, Christian Petz, who is now the chef at the Coburg, was Meinl's first chef.

Meinl now also has a very fine chef (Joachim Gradwohl). I have eaten there often. I was never disappointed, but never enthralled. Prices are not much different from those at the Coburg (except that Meinl offers a three-course lunch at something like EUR 35, a nice deal; the Restaurant Coburg isn't open for lunch).

So: if you only go to one of these two, I strongly suggest the Restaurant Coburg.

Feel free to ask me anything else you might want to know!

Charley

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Thanks again Charley, this is all extremely helpful!

Unfortunately my dining companion just read about Restaurant Coburg in her guidebook and it mentioned pigeon and tripe dishes, so now I am going to have to use my massive powers of persuasion to get her there :hmmm: I have tried to find an English sample menu from them on the web to try and assuage her fears, but I have come up empty so far. Oh well, I like a challenge :biggrin:

Any recommendations for hole-in-the-wall type places that your average tourist may not know about? I do a lot of walking around when I travel and love to just stumble upon little places here and there, but I also have no problem making a special trip to a place, particularly if it has been recommended by a local, or even better, a local eGulleter :biggrin:

Take care, Len

Hi,

I spent a couple of days in Vienna this summer, these are my recommendations, based on limited experience:

1. Skip Sachertorte, it's not worth it. Just a tourist thing, especially at Hotel Sacher.

2. Excellent 'ordinary' food at "Österreicher im MAK" an informal bistro-type restaurant in the Museum of Applied Arts, Museum für Angewandte Kunst, MAK, chef is Helmut Österreicher, former head chef at Steirereck.

3. We had the tasting menu at Steirereck, the new chef being as I understand Heinz Reitbauer, son of the owners, his wife runs hectically around the restaurant and plays the host. The food was partly great and partly not too convincing. The atmosphere is very nice, formal dining experience, set in a park.

4. Steirereck runs a café as well, excellent strudel, and light lunches.

5. Trzesniewski Sandwiches, a slightly strange specialty, interesting.

If I had had more time I might also have tried Meinl and Mraz & Sohn, which I have seen recommended several times.

You can take a look at my flickr account for pictures of 2, 3, 4, and 5.

click

Have a nice trip!

Thanks for the recommendations Cronenberg. The pictures are fantastic!

I had actually been looking at the MAK for a visit, I'll definitely keep it on my list now.

Unfrtunately I just received a response from Restaurant Coburg and they are closed on the night of my special event (it's a Sunday) so I am just going to book it for another night. I'll need to find another great place for the Sunday night, if that is even possible.

Edit: maybe Steirereck would be a good choice?

Edited by Jerry_A (log)

Len,

Steirereck is a very nice place for a special occasion, very refined but not exactly relaxed.

To get into the spirit I suggest you also take a look at Singapore foodblogger Chubby Hubby's write-up of his Vienna-visit:

Chubby Hubby Vienna Guide

When I was searching the internet before my visit this summer I found this link helpful as well:

Vienna Restaurants

Enjoy your trip and let us know how you liked it.

Felix C.

Trzesniewski Sandwiches, a slightly strange specialty, interesting.

I'm addicted to this place. Every time we head to Vienna, I make a beeline for their sandwich buffet. :smile: Pfiff! More pfiff, pflease!

Sacher torte at the Hotel Sacher is vastly overrated; the best Sacher torte I've had in Vienna was at Cafe Braunerhof (Thomas Bernhard's haunt), where the slice was much tastier...not to mention more fresh.

This cafe also provides some of the best people- (and waiter-) watching in Vienna. :biggrin:

Ok, I am very intrigued by Trzesniewski Sandwiches now. What is it about them that is so special?

Question #2: has anyone tried Stomach? Terrible name, but I have read some interesting things about it.

Looks like Cafe Braunerhof is the place we will go for Sacher torte, you are the second person to recommend it to me.

Thanks again for all of the information and links (I loved that Chubby Hubby one).

Cheers, Len

Edit: just found the Trzesniewski website Link, those sandwiches look very interesting. Too bad I can't read what they are made of :unsure:

Edited by Jerry_A (log)

Edit: just found the Trzesniewski website Link, those sandwiches look very interesting.  Too bad I can't read what they are made of  :unsure:

Here's a quick-'n-dirty sampler translation. Someone who actually speaks German, please feel free to correct it. My other half (who does speak it) could only laugh hysterically at my pronunciation. :rolleyes:

Ei mit Ei--egg with egg.

Champignon--mushrooms.

Geflügelleberaufstrich--goose liver pate.

Gervais mit Zwiebel--cheese (?) with onion.

Matjes mit Zwiebel--smoked fish with onion.

Matjes ohne Zwiebel--smoked fish without onion. :raz:

Speck mit Ei--better-than-salami with egg.

Zwiebeln mit Ei--onion with egg.

Ei mit zwiebeln--egg with onion. (Just kidding!)

Räucherlachs--smoked salmon.

Ah, you little guten brotchen. :wub:

Thanks for reviving this thread! K and I are looking for a December holiday and we've narrowed it down to Vienna or Barcelona... This has certainly swayed me (now I just have to convince him!)

My pleasure. We were in a similar bind; it was a three way tie between Sydney, Lisbon, and Vienna and, well, you can guess how it turned out :biggrin: