• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electric Meat Slicers

Chris Amirault

I have the Chef's Choice 615 along with the smooth blade option...it works fine for home slicing.

A review....

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I bought a department store slicer some years ago for around $250 and it was a disaster.  I've used commercial deli slicers and compared to those, this thing is like a sentence to purgatory.  There were two major problems; 1) The back plate (for want of the proper term) was plastic and flexed away from the blade when slicing - meaning that getting paper thin slices is impossible.  Also, the sliding mechanism did not so much slide as drag.  Truly awful.

However, I have been seeing models lately that look like commercial construction with a more homey price.  I found one company (that I am unable to re-find now) that had a wide range of price points from commercial type pricing down to many for less money.

Here's one that seems plausible http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/fma-20201.html.  But I'd be hard pressed to buy one of these things in the future without actually giving it a try first.

I started with department store slicers. The first I bought was plastic, used once then sent off to the thrift store as it really didn't do a good job, I ended up up next with a Waring Pro, better but not great. After much thought and research I found what I needed was a commercial model. I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-Anodized-Aluminum-Slicer-Transmission/dp/B004HOTRHM

It is no where near a Hobart, but then neither was the price.

Regarding a serrated blade, the ones I've seen in businesses do not use a serrated blade, must be a reason for that. The only use I could see would be to slice bread.

The Presto will cut thin enough to call the result "shaved" rather than sliced. On the other hand I just sliced a whole pork loin (on sale) into chops almost 1 inch thick. It's suggested that softer meats, such as that loin, be tossed in the freezer for a bit to firm them up. The manual specifically mentions not using it for cheese as it tears rather than cuts. My inet research has not confirmed that.

One last comment, unless you're slicing a firm meat such as cooked ham or salami etc, cleanup is a bitch. After doing that loin it took about 15 minutes to de-gunk it.

It is an expensive piece of equipment (how many pork loins would it take to break even?) but it does what it does, well. From my personal experience, buy a good one or don't buy one at all. I mean how often will you have the opportunity to drop the phrase "my meat slicer" into a conversation?

p

I would definitely go with a Hobart and nothing but a Hobart if one expects to be using a slicer on a very regular basis or slicing tough stuff like large chunks of cheese.

I had a Hobart for many years, but we don't have the room now...and the Chef's Choice suits us just fine (used a few times a week.)

Older Hobart's can often be had for a couple hundred dollars or so via Craigslist and the like.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Hey that model 615 is far nicer than the plastic jobbie I had. But will it do sandwich meat in thin slices? 

It looks like my cabelas model has the same design but with the button on the top of the motor. Im guessing mine is rebranded. Anyway, mine did a pretty good job of slicing rare-med rare roast beef and roast pork.really thin.

Here is a pic i took of a rare roast beef i sliced with that cabelas model i use to use before i got my Hobart.

roastsliced.JPG

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 1

Well I guess if the Hobart had an optional serrated blade you could do hard cheese with it. :raz:  

But how about semi-soft cheese? Ought to be able to slice that with the regular blade.

Hey that model 615 is far nicer than the plastic jobbie I had. But will it do sandwich meat in thin slices? 

Yes.

That review left me seriously PO'd.  About 3/4 of the way through he admits that he hadn't sliced meat in it yet.  Who reviews a product without putting it through it's full paces?  Will YouTube accept anything? :raz:

You get what you pay for!!!  :smile:

I guess it's more of an overview than a review, but the 615 does have a very good reputation.

You get what you pay for!!!  :smile:

I guess it's more of an overview than a review, but the 615 does have a very good reputation.

ahh guys did you look for the follow-up video? He slices hard cheese, fruit and raw sirloin.

Edited by radtek (log)
  • Like 1

BB&B will take it back if i dont like it.

thanks, all, for spending my money !  

BTW  FeChef suggested a decent slicer should have a metal guide slot, not plastic

does the 615 have a metal one ?

the price is about what Id like to spend   ( - 20 % )

many thanks.  its for SV meats mostly.

why should I get the smooth blade as an add on ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

Still unsure of uses/advantages of smooth vs serrated blades other than for bread. After all, a bread knife is serrated so as to be able to cut through a hard crust and not destroy the soft interior. Not sure how that applies to meat and cheeses.

p

lubrications :

on one vid, the VideoMeister suggested vaseline as the lube of choice for various points on the 615

the stuff I see on the vid is white :  is there a food grade silicone lube for these ?

maybe i should look for the manual

Im about to Punch the Trigger  (  :blink: ) at BB&B w a coupon  they dont have them in stock, but Id get free shipping.

my mother would of course say, " You need another Hole in the Head ? "

but well, I could lust after something else, after all ....

thanks everybody.  :biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)

lubrications :

on one vid, the VideoMeister suggested vaseline as the lube of choice for various points on the 615

the stuff I see on the vid is white :  is there a food grade silicone lube for these ?

maybe i should look for the manual

Im about to Punch the Trigger  (  :blink: ) at BB&B w a coupon  they dont have them in stock, but Id get free shipping.

my mother would of course say, " You need another Hole in the Head ? "

but well, I could lust after something else, after all ....

thanks everybody.  :biggrin:

Another hole in the head is a possibility but I'd be more concerned about my fingers.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Another hole in the head is a possibility but I'd be more concerned about my fingers.

I'm with you. I have 10 (not so) tiny fingers and ten (not so) tiny toes and no electric meat slicer. I have always thought there was a very close relationship between the two facts of my life. I do have a manual meat slicer but find little reason to use it. The amount of meat I choose to slice can be done fine with a sharp knife.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have definitely sliced more fruits and vegetables than meat with my slicer (though I have done meat and it works well for that too). I often use it for anything that needs to be utterly consistent in thickness and/or is a large quantity and/or needs to be cut up quickly. It works great for prepping a lot of veg/fruit for dehydration (or freeze-drying) in particular or when I need a pile of onions for confit or a lot of oranges for marmalade, or disposing of a mountain of zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes or cucumbers, etc.

I use the guard as much as possible - I like my fingers too! So far, so good .. no blood (which is more than I can say for when I am wielding a knife or grater) and all 10 intact. It is one of the lighter 'appliances' that I own and fairly compact (though much larger, of course, than a mandoline). It is relatively easy to both store and take out when I need it so I find myself using it far more than I ever thought I would.

Edited by Deryn (log)

• 2 months later...

Deli Slicers marketed to home users for a reasonable price have historically been, well, pretty terrible.  I learned that the hard way.  But more current options are looking a bit more plausible.  Has anyone had any experiences with this new crop of appliances? (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SMC1ZU/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=045729VAQ9J2MNXVWG1A&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop)

• 1 year later...

Im looking at a meat slicer   

more or less at BB$B  for occasional use  

but Id like to know from those who have one the difference between the blade you get

which Id assume is more like a knife  than this blade  which  BB%B  offers as an add on :

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/serrated-blade-for-chef-39-schoice-reg-premium-electric-food-slicer/1042243601?Keyword=chef+choice+meat+slicers

why do I need a serrated blade ?

Ive done and do a lot of woodworking  so 

what give with this sort of blade ?

"""  

• Allows you to make fine and medium deli-like cuts and slices  "

I can't made fine slices w the smother blade ?