• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Pretty Good Article about Local Bartender's Thoughts on their Craft

The state of food writing in this area, at least at our local CBS franchise of WRAL.com is pretty abysmal, (example link to follow) and I've seen them do much worse.

I thought this article was an exception to that rule:

http://www.wral.com/a-round-of-drinks-with-durham-bartenders/14551846/

Here's a small sample of their normal food  writing:

http://www.wral.com/straight-beef-review-capital-club-16/14539240/

They also regularly "treat" us to videos of "local" recipes, NOT, which would make Sandra Lee blush. I'm not mean enough to burden you with one of those, I just wanted you to see what we put up with here. Intelligent sixth graders could do a better job of food writing than these folks do.

It's really sad, because I think we have about a half dozen people nominated each year, including this one, for James Beard awards in this state. Some win.

These are also the folks who refused to carry to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show the first year it came out (they still delay it by hours, although less so now), preempt popular first-run shows to show college basketball (sorry MINORITY basketball fans), and otherwise really antagonize their local captive audience.

I thought they actually did good on this one, although they obviously used someone else's work by permission.

What do y'all think?

> ^ . . ^ <

The state of food writing in this area, at least at our local CBS franchise of WRAL.com is pretty abysmal, (example link to follow) and I've seen them do much worse.

I thought this article was an exception to that rule:

http://www.wral.com/a-round-of-drinks-with-durham-bartenders/14551846/

Here's a small sample of their normal food  writing:

http://www.wral.com/straight-beef-review-capital-club-16/14539240/

They also regularly "treat" us to videos of "local" recipes, NOT, which would make Sandra Lee blush. I'm not mean enough to burden you with one of those, I just wanted you to see what we put up with here. Intelligent sixth graders could do a better job of food writing than these folks do.

It's really sad, because I think we have about a half dozen people nominated each year, including this one, for James Beard awards in this state. Some win.

These are also the folks who refused to carry to the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show the first year it came out (they still delay it by hours, although less so now), preempt popular first-run shows to show college basketball (sorry MINORITY basketball fans), and otherwise really antagonize their local captive audience.

I thought they actually did good on this one, although they obviously used someone else's work by permission.

What do y'all think?

For whatever reason this article reminded me of a visit to an east Tennessee barbeque establishment in the dead of winter in the 1970's.  I do not remember the name but I had dined there previously and the food was excellent.  The owner apologized that her husband was away that night and there was no heat, but there was a fire in the hearth.  The beer froze in the mug.  I shall never quite forget it.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

JoNorvelleWalker,

To which article are you referring, because they are quite different?

The first article.  I confess I didn't read the second.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou