• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast Beef: deli or sous vide

rotuts

I gave it an extra day in the brine. It doesnt feel like it firmed up so i am trying a quick dry age by wrapping in paper towels every few hours. One more idea i want to try is giving the roast that blackened leathery skin. For example here: http://eatagoodlife.tumblr.com/post/33913390713/an-insanely-delicious-schaubs-kobe-beef-roast

I am not sure of the process to create this thing black pellicle?

Roast has been flash chilled overnight and is ready to be sliced. I am thinking of doing french dip roast beef and need a good au jus recipe. I am not a fan of worchestershire though. Haven't had one in awhile but i recall Quiznos having a really tasty au jus. Dont think they used worchestershire as i can taste it almost instantly in food.

So i sliced the roast and the results were amazing in terms of flavor but the texture was not elastic. It was juicy, tender, and meaty. Aside from the lacking elastic texture, the flavor hit the nail on the head.

100_6284.JPG

100_6292.JPG

100_6294.JPG

100_6295.JPG

• Like 1

that certainly looks like the stuff at the deli counter

I think 'elastic texture' is a  'toughness' issue

its just a guess  what else could it be ?

try 4 hours ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I highly doubt its related to time. The center which spent the least amount of time at the target temp had the least elasticity. Im sticking to my initial theory that the preservatives is what gives it that stretchy texture. I am still not convinced there not glueing the muscle's together.

Aside from the texture, the flavor was up there with the more expensive brands like boars head.

I still lean toward salt being the issue with stretch. An overbrined chicken breast gets rubbery even when cooked gently.

The question is at what point does the beef stop tasting like beef. I like the flavor i have now but i dont know what percent ratio i actually used. It obviously wasnt enough to cause a change in texture.

I personally don't like the elastic texture of deli roast beef. I'd say you should stop while it's still good. Give me tender over elastic any day

For certain dishes i agree. For example, one of my favorite comfort foods is open faced roast beef on garlic texas toast smothered in gravy. This tender roast beef would be perfect for that. But i like that elastic texture on a cold roast beef hoagie or sandwich.

well, for a less-than-tastiest cut of beef  I think youve done really really well.

of course, the slicer makes this dish.

:laugh:

That sodium/msg solution i injected and let soak for 48 hours made a huge difference.

100_6286.JPG

100_6288.JPG

• Like 1

thanks sooooooooooo much !

you had to show me those last two pics, didnt you

:raz:

I do think slicing very thin for 'deli-like' sandwiches is important

even the wax paper adds something.

how did you get the external color ?

in the ref. you pointed out earlier I get the feeling that 'black' was painted on.

not w yours.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I made a oil based rub with some veg oil, prime rib seasoning and some Kitchen Bouquet browning and seasoning sauce. Which is basicly caramel color and concentrated vegetable stock.

Its funny you mentioned "painted" because i used a brush to "paint" the rub on.

Edited by FeChef (log)

I thought of adding more flavors to the brine solution but wanted to keep it simple the first time around to get a starting point and not risk ruining the end product.

I am very pleased with the results though. I got the roast on sale for $9.15 and after i trimmed off any extra fat cap i started with 875g which is roughly 2lbs and after cooked and sliced i ended up with 1lb 12oz. Not much loss and im sure that had alot to do with the brine.

• Like 1

Wow that sandwich looks killer!

It was by far one of the best top 10 french dip sandwiches ive had. The melted baby swiss put it over the top. For the au jus i went with beef stock, demi glace, and red wine.

100_6296.JPG