• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indigenous North American Cuisines

Naftal

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen this one yet. My restaurant evolved from pre-reservation Apache foods. Other key names: Sioux Chef and Nephi Craig. I'm planning a dinner with Sioux Chef in April. Brontisky and Assoc are trying to get indigenous chefs from around the globe together.

• Like 1

Thanks for this. I hadn't seen this one yet. My restaurant evolved from pre-reservation Apache foods. Other key names: Sioux Chef and Nephi Craig. I'm planning a dinner with Sioux Chef in April. Brontisky and Assoc are trying to get indigenous chefs from around the globe together.

I am glad you liked this. I was surprised to see the number of dishes that are native to my region of the continent.

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

gfron1- Though it applies to my region, I thought you (and others) might be interested in this:

http://www.usd116.org/mfoley/pot/food.html

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

I'm suck in Sweden but a friend  Isi who is Native American,  she is from two tribes and had restaurant who only made pre- reservation food, she made this amazing corn dish with reindeer, it should deer but well all we had was reindeer.  She also sent over when  my daughter  was born,  blue corn mush powder with herbs for good luck.

Since then I have wanted to try more food native food. 

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

A while back I read a native American cookbook.  I confess I found nothing I was tempted to cook or eat.  Disclaimer, my father was of Cherokee descent.

I like the idea though.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Me too,

I'm 1/8 Native American because my grandmother's father was an Indian.

That said, I have none of the culture. She was totally southern culture, in a small town in Louisiana, and that's what's been passed down to us kids.

All the good sources say that the languages, traditions, and customs are disappearing. Not much can be done about that. Time moves on in the technological age that would make a cave man's or woman's head spin right off their shoulders.

Good luck to anyone who tries to prolong and promote the culture of my heritage, but I'm not real optimistic about it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_cuisine

> ^ . . ^ <