• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dale Degroff Being Honored by James Beard Foundation

weinoo

In May, the James Beard Foundation is inducting Dale into its Who's Who of Food & Drink in America.

Rightfully so, in my opinion.

From the NY Timers' blog, Cocktail Culture:

This May, the James Beard Foundation will induct Dale DeGroff, 66, into its Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America. Often credited as the grandfather of the modern cocktail revival, his trailblazing cocktail menu for the 1987 reopening of New York’s Rainbow Room brought back to life the works of pre-Prohibition bartenders like “Professor” Jerry Thomas.

Full story here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I visited the Riverwalk location during Tales 2008.

They had a really well provisioned exhibit; lots of donated/lent cocktail paraphernalia. The pre-revolution bottles of Bacardi and 19th century bottles of absinthe were really neat to see up close.