• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisines with no English language cookbooks

Shalmanese

I've been getting into Xinjiang cooking recently and am piecing it together from various blog posts and photos as there's no English language Xinjiang cookbook. Similarly, the food I grew up with, Dongbei food is slowly making inroads into America but there doesn't exist any Dongbei cookbook and the English written resources are even more scant.

I imagine many African and central Asian cuisines suffer from the same fate. I'm curious what are other cuisines that are currently difficult for Westerners to learn about due to a lack of English language resources?

PS: I am a guy.

The Zhuang are the largest ethnic minority in China and the vast majority live here in Guangxi. There is no cookbook in English or even in Chinese. I have spent the last 7 years researching the cuisine, but a book is still a way off

As far as Xinjiang is concerned Beyond The Great Wall is well worth a look. It isn't exclusively Xinjiang but contains recipes from there.

Here is an online Xinjiang cookbook

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

...I'm curious what are other cuisines that are currently difficult for Westerners to learn about due to a lack of English language resources?

Probably lots, if you count small ethnic enclaves. Rosetta Costantino tells how she wrote her cookbook to put her family's region of Calabria, Italy, on the culinary map. So even a well known cuisine like Italian food still has secrets to reveal.

While researching a non-Western cuisine, another writer told me she found useful cooking material and techniques demonstrated on YouTube. No English required to understand.