• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 5:08 AM, mkayahara said:

Anyway, Brita says on their website that their filters reduce the "taste and odour" of chlorine. Is that just marketing hype?

I use another brand of filter which is similar to the Brita, and it's easy to taste the difference between the filtered and unfiltered water. I'd imagine the Brita would produce similar results - come to think of it, a friend uses the Brita and there is an improvement in the taste of his water.  I use filtered water for coffee and tea brewing, and for any cooking purpose, such as making pasta or using water in soups, etc.  Any water that gets ingested or in which food is cooked is filtered.

Shel_B

Shel_B

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2015 at 5:08 AM, mkayahara said:

Anyway, Brita says on their website that their filters reduce the "taste and odour" of chlorine. Is that just marketing hype?

I use another brand of filter which is similar to the Brita, and it's easy to taste the difference between the filtered and unfiltered water. I'd imagine the Brita would produce similar results. Filtered water is used here for coffee and tea brewing, and for any cooking purpose, such as making pasta or using water in soups, etc.  Any water that gets ingested is filtered.