• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food and Cooking Magazines You Still Subscribe To

weinoo

The only subscription I still maintain is a French mag that is/was useful for both improving my language skills, cooking and travel.    Cuisine et Vins de France

Excellent recipes, wine reviews and visits to both popular and obscure locations.    I have found that attacking a foreign language through a subject with which you are familiar is a comfortable route.   You know the terms and the gists of many recipes, so you can extrapolate new and unfamiliar words.    Heartily recommend if you have any interest in French food and culture...and wine.

• Like 3

eGullet member #80.

I buy two things whenever I am in an airport about to fly, which of course will never happen again. One is a package of m & m's and another is a cooking / food magazine. I simply go to the racks and pick out which ever one looks most appealing. It usually gives me 30 minutes of entertainment once I'm strapped in, often enough time for the plane to get off the ground. I gave up on subscriptions years and years ago when it seemed like the  number of recipes declined and the double page spreads of overly curated foods took over. Also the general design of all these magazines started looking like they were meant for younger people: reverse-out type for a recipe? You couldn't read it, let alone copy it. But back to the plane. I still had the m & m's!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, MokaPot said:

Looks like Saveur mag got sold. I used to have a print subscription.

316083764_ScreenShot2021-01-03at1_41_40PM.png.efd42aa622d7e9db414fb157e76d15fb.png

I wonder where that leaves those of us with an active subscription? I still enjoy that magazine, although I rarely actually cook from it.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I wonder where that leaves those of us with an active subscription? I still enjoy that magazine, although I rarely actually cook from it.

I wondered the same thing.  Mine just happens to renew in January.  I don't remember if I got one in December though....

10 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I have been getting Bon Appetit because it was ridiculously cheap, but I've become very disinterested in it. I just don't find much of interest in it any more. Maybe I'm too old and not urban enough to be their audience. 

I have been having a great time going through the thousands of recipes I ripped out and clipped from magazines and newspapers over the past 40 years or so. It certainly makes food and food magazine trends apparent. And also shows how my own cooking and food preferences have changed over the years.

I just let Bon Appetit lapse for the same reason. I will, however, recommend Garden & Gun. Sort of Southern Living-ish in style, but likely a bit more food content than SL. Upscale takes on traditional Southern favorites.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I just remembered that Cooking Light has been re-born as a quarterly magazine.  But, they are not accepting Canadian subscriptions, US only.  It would be nice if they had a digital option.

• Like 1

I get Cuisine at Home and allrecipes - both were gifts.  I quite like them.  Cuisine at Home is ad-free and everything I've ever cooked from it was successful.  The allrecipes is a new subscription, so I haven't cooked from it yet, but it seems to be full of everyday recipes - nothing terribly exciting, but I've marked a few to try.  My favorite magazine to get recipes from is Southern Living.  But instead of getting the magazine (they would become unwieldy to keep), Mr. Kim gives me the recipe annual for Christmas every year.  Much easier to find shelf space for. 

• Like 2

My only subscription is The Mother Earth News; I carried on my father's subscription that he'd started in the early 70s after he passed away. Most issues have a few recipes, and LOT about growing your own food (and occasionally, brewing wine/beer/kombucha etc) so I guess it counts.

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning