• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Wow that was good! No after photo, we had guests and both my two kids and my sisters' kids were clamoring for their dinner. 

It's a bit of work, but delicious and a more exciting than the everyday roast chicken. Will be making this again for special occasions!

Also quietly chuffed that I could pull it off - I've never deboned a chicken before, and my previous efforts at trussing things have been pretty poor . . . . 

• Like 5

I'm not really sure what to call this.

It's basically penne with an arrabbiata sauce, but with beef. A cross between arrabbiata and bolognese?

I'm going to call it "dinner".

arrabbiata1.jpg

arrabbiata2.jpg

Sadly no fresh basil here and I refuse to use dried.

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou that looks just like what I used to get once a week as a child. Mom had her rotation down. And it was good.

harrysnapperorgans I thought that was porchetta at first... Must have been a rather large chicken! Glad it turned out well.

Fresh tamales, from a local Mexican carniceria.** (They make them fresh daily) Chicken w/ green salsa, pork w/ red chili sauce, cheese w/ jalapeños.

DSCN4642-45-C_800.jpg

Some of the stuff for an improvised rice dish with fresh in-store-made chorizo (from the same Mexican carniceria).  The sausages smelled wonderful.

Cipollini onions, halved; ramp bulbs, halved; fresh portobello mushroom, chopped; chorizo sausage, cut into rounds.

DSCN4649a_600B.jpg

Sautéed w. neutral oil & some garlic, rice added, bay leaves, chicken stock, seasoning adjusted, cooked.  Purposely made sort-of "wet".

A portion on the plate, with sautéed rapini flower stalks/tips and sliced fresh asparagus.

DSCN4653a_800.jpg

** p.s. Caroled, this is Carniceria Morelos at Allisonville & 96th.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 11

This evening Cassie and Charlie got back from visiting her brother in NYC for a week and I made a dinner for the first time in a week.  I made Shrimp in Escabeche and served it on a bed of romaine lettuce and

Chicken Manicotti with lots of cheeses, salsa and an enchilada sauce. I also made some garlic bread. 

f41be8ed-39bb-4742-a6e0-39c2ef23a2b1_zps

46abb109-d231-455a-969b-8d8677c1af8e_zps

• Like 10

Didn't snap any pics, but my daughter came home from school and requested my spaghetti. I leave on five day trip tomorrow so I made a big batch of sauce. She's being gluten-free, so it was served with rice noodles, salad, Brussels sprouts and gluten-free bread I made from GF Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

I'm in Köln, Germany this week and have been eating asparagus every day. This was from last night: with salmon roe, smoked maatjes herring filets and smoked halibut. (Also, fresh ramps and a couple of plain boiled new potatoes)

Yc3sMWG.jpg

9gcAxWW.jpg

150VXrX.jpg

wqnSZgW.jpg

• Like 8

Just have been really busy. These were actually made for Passover and Easter. Sorry!

dcarch

SV leg of lamb

leg%20of%20lamb%20SV_zpsfffoxkbl.jpg

leg%20of%20lamb%20SV%202_zpsbfidwgc5.jpg

Passover jelly beans with Easter eggs

Easter%20eggs%202015%202_zpsjxpdpdol.jpg

Matzo ball soup

Matzo%20ball%20soup%202_zpsgedhc5q1.jpg

Smoked leg of lamb on fig leaves

smoked%20lamb%20fig%20leaves_zpsgvsysrzc

smoked%20lamb%20fig%20leaves%202_zpso88t

Smoked drum sticks on fig leaves

Drumstick%20beet%20green%20fig%20green%2

Drumstick%20beet%20green%20fig%20green_z

• Like 10

dcarch - Fig leaves?  Perhaps you could comment further - e.g. why fig leaves, why they were done that way, etc.

Why ? because they taste good.

Fig leaves impart a very subtle yet distinct flavor to food. I have  a fig tree in a large pot. Young fig leaves are very tender.

I am not very good in the study of religions. I thought fig trees has some religious significance.

dcarch

• Like 1

Short ribs braised (stovetop) w/ peanut oil, garlic, fermented bean curd, bamboo shoots, dried lily bulbs, firm tofu; seasoning adjusted.  Eaten w/ misua (min6 sin3) and stir-fried Napa cabbage.

DSCN4655a_800.jpg

• Like 4

For dinner tonight we had Bass Farm sausage links. It's made a little over 47 miles from here east on US 64 in Spring Hope, NC. I browned it quickly on the stovetop, but didn't fully cook it all the way through. I thoroughly drained and blotted on paper towels, and then wrapped in bits of biscuit dough enhanced with cheddar cheese, sage, parsley and some crushed red pepper.

The first wrapping didn't go well at all. I didn't realize how much bench flour I was going to need to pat out the wrappers, and my fingers became scary DOUGH MONSTERS.  :laugh: I really wish I had a camera to show you!

I got the hang of it and the rest went quickly. Even though I was working with only a cup of flour for eight sausage links, I still would reduce the bread to meat ratio next time. My husband was extremely pleased though, and he has lunch for tomorrow from it.

ETA: Of course I baked the wrapped par-cooked sausage for 8 minutes in a hot oven.

We rounded out the meal with sweet, lovely honeydew melon from Guatemala and eggs.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpg

Dropped into a small market today to buy a cauliflower and spotted these mini peppers. Got them home and stuffed them with ground pork, cream cheese, garlic, Parmesan and some Italian herbs.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog