• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

20150513_172419_zpsrksof3qz.jpg

This what we had today,  rotisserie pork  and with that roasties, broccoli and  red sauce  ( daughters name on her favourite sauce and no it isnt ketchup, it is ajvar, chilli sauce, yoghurt and tomato purée. 

What is that glowing probe thing?  Standard kitchen stuff in Sweden?  Do those spits turn?

This could be better than the Big Easy No Fat Fryer!!!

• Like 4

It is  Phillips  stand rotisserie from the 1970.ties or 80:ties,  it was found at a  Charity shop and it wasn't used either, still in its plastic wrapping.  I never seen one before .  The  glowing part in the middle is a metal coil and get super hot and the spits turn on their axle.   I am not sure how safe it really is but it makes the meat so tender and lovely. It makes a mean Tandoori.

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

It is  Phillips  stand rotisserie from the 1970.ties or 80:ties,  it was found at a  Charity shop and it wasn't used either, still in its plastic wrapping.  I never seen one before .  The  glowing part in the middle is a metal coil and get super hot and the spits turn on their axle.   I am not sure how safe it really is but it makes the meat so tender and lovely. It makes a mean Tandoori.

If the photo actually shows the heating coil glows that bright, then I think it is burning way too hot and that heating element will not last long. Food gets burned and not cooked. I think that is a typical heating element for a domestic hot water boiler tank.

If you have some electric skills, I would re-wire the coil to a voltage controller ($20) to reduce the heat. This way the heating coli will last forever and you can have a great deal more flexibility in what you can cook with it.

dcarch

• Like 2

Foraged some garlic mustard today in my backyard. 

Asparagus with garlic mustard

nZrWMbF.png

you need to hold a saucing class. or at least just teach me how to sauce like you do!

The camera makes it look hotter then it is, it doesnt  go up to a white hot but more of a warm yellow and it doesnt  burn the food, it takes about 15 minutes to get the thin slices of meat that brown and it been check by one electrician, who used to work with nuclear power plants and also surprisingly to sum, since I am a woman ,  I know how to rewire it and check it if need be and so does my husband, he has a higher degree in electrics then I do.

Tonight's dinner will be hotdogs grilled on the same machine with mash.

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Anyone looking for an easy and foolproof Yorkie recipe should try Marlene’s - http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/QuickBreads/Marlene39s_Yorkshire_Pudding.html  I make it all the time and have never had it fail.

Kay – “as I was the only one in the house who likes hollandaise” what kind of crazy people do you live with?  Do you need to be extracted by a SWAT team? :wink:

Mark – Mr. Kim just caught sight of your pork and said he’d kill for that bark and ring. 

Shelby – I’m so glad that you got to have such a wonderful time with your mom.  I feel so blessed to finally have her living near me.  We lived most of my adult live pretty far apart and I missed her so much.  This was in the pre-cell phone days – long distance phone calls cost a LOT!  Your food looked wonderful.  Was she surprised at your expertise, or have you always been a good cook?

Mother’s Day brunch was very simple meal this year.  There were only ten of us, so we actually ate at the table:

med_gallery_3331_342_32230.jpg

(Unheard of at the Shooks.)  And since it was Mother’s day and I wasn’t doing any dishes, I used my wedding china and the sterling :raz: !

We started with some nibbles:

med_gallery_3331_342_103636.jpg

Chili-Lime rice crackers, nuts, sesame sticks and Goldfish (Goldfish or Combos are a family tradition – I don’t think that my family has had a party without one or the other since the 1960’s)

I did my friend Stephanie’s Ham and cheese croissant strata:

med_gallery_3331_342_134010.jpg

Kind of a Monte Cristo casserole.  Small croissants are stuffed with ham and Swiss and an egg, milk and Dijon custard is poured over.  Topped with Gruyere and baked.  Very good.

Served with a simple fruit salad:

med_gallery_3331_342_59381.jpg

And a green salad with a fantastic Green Goddess chive dressing:

med_gallery_3331_342_118370.jpg

I haven’t made this dressing in forever and everyone was raving over it.  I’ll have to get it back into rotation.  My Vitamix made preparation really easy.

Dessert was a strawberry poppy seed cake:

med_gallery_3331_342_182489.jpg

More on that in the dessert thread.

• Like 9

KS  : I saw your cake on the cake thread

did it taste good  i.e. the cake wasn't gummy etc "

well if it tasted good, that all that matters

a bonus  is that it was Avant Garde !!!

• Like 1

What is it that you want to know?

All your sauces look wonderful. I find sauces to be one of the most challenging aspects of home cooking to get right. The timing, consistency, color, flavor, texture, temperature, etc.  Do you make batch sauces and freeze them or are you doing most of those simultaneously with your meal?

• Like 1

Kim -- Child C is the Hollandaise eater with me, and she wasn't there. Child A doesn't care for it. Weird kid. No, please don't extract me; I never have to worry about there being enough Hollandaise!

arepas, squash.jpg

Roasted asparagus, caprese, squash "pasta" steamed, then tossed with butter and fresh tarragon, and an arepa filled with "carnitas," which weren't really carnitas but leftover diced pork tenderloin warmed in a sauce of honey chipotle butter, smoked tomato jam and a pinch of pimenton de la vera. Very pleasant dinner, and quick/easy to cook.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

All your sauces look wonderful. I find sauces to be one of the most challenging aspects of home cooking to get right. The timing, consistency, color, flavor, texture, temperature, etc.  Do you make batch sauces and freeze them or are you doing most of those simultaneously with your meal?

I make large batches of chicken stock which act as the foundation to most, if not all, of my sauces. I generally make two separate stocks: One using carcasses and/or whole birds, with plenty of aromatics, for use in soups, cooking of vegetables, risottos, and the like. For sauces, I make stock solely from the wings and feet, for the purpose of attaining as gelatinous a stock as possible. In this case, I do not add many aromatics. Simply a little carrot and onion, maybe a leek. This is then used to produce all sorts of meat jus (most commonly veal and chicken) as well fish and lobster stock, which act as the base to most of the sauces I make. Building sauces is truly one of my favorite parts of cooking. 

Tonight, I stuffed peppers with beef, red onion, tomato, caraway, aleppo pepper, confit garlic and cilantro, then braised in the oven in a little beef jus and the aforementioned chicken stock.

7CiTKIk.png

kTzV8wj.png
  • Like 6

I did not make the bread.  I purchased it at a Lebanese market near my home.  My bread making skills are pretty limited.  I can do pizza dough, grilled pita and naan, and the recipes in the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  Everything else I have attempted has been hit or miss.  Luckily, there are places near me that make bread I enjoy.

No shame whatever in buying the bread, I was just curious. Thanks for sharing

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Soup.  Savoy cabbage & purple asparagus (color fades) in chicken broth.

DSCN4812b_800.jpg

Clams with fermented soy beans & chillies.  (A riff on clams w/ taucheo ; or, kepah masak tauco)

Peanut oil, chopped smashed garlic, sliced ginger, taucheo (this one) minus the steeping liquid, cleaned clams, stir-fry a minute; Shaohsing wine, stir, cover; sliced serrano chillies, toss, cover, water added, stir, cover, remove clams as they open; chopped scallions & coriander leaves, clams added back into the pan, everything stirred around briefly then transferred to serving bowl.

Flash stir-fried broccoli florets, quenched w/ some of the chicken broth/the soup from above.

White rice, a couple bowls.

DSCN4818a_800.jpg

• Like 8

I am happy to concede that this may be a bit odd. It was a bit of an emergency, what-the-hell-is-in-the-fridge/larder meal. Still stuck in moving home mud.

I got back from work late and rummaged in the fridge-freezer and found some frozen prawns. These are red prawns. Uncooked. They come from Beihai, a Chinese city near the border with Vietnam. I bought them live, but these were excess to my then requirements.

My supplier of new potatoes is replenishing his stock - to my surprise - so I boiled some, then crushed them and added butter, the prawns, some red chilli, and Chinese chives. S+P , of course. Served with my last tomato and some lime.

This odd mixture worked surprisingly well. I may even repeat.

pp.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou,

Your meal looks very tasty. I have found of late that I can often make a tasty meal by scrounging from fridge, freezer and pantry without regard to what others may think or to what others may deem appropriate. If I like all of the ingredients chances are fair that I will like the final product. Hope you can soon haul yourself out of the mud of moving house!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Quiche looks excellent, Shelby. I rarely put mine in a crust, either.

New dish for me last night: Asparagus fonduta over pasta. I'd never made, indeed, heard of fonduta until one of this week's Serious Eats emails hit my inbox, and I had to try it. Two eggs, a cup of creme fraiche and a cup of grated parmigiano cooked in a double boiler, whisking regularly; asparagus sauteed in lots of butter until butter browns, both of which happen while the pasta is boiling. Pasta gets drained, tossed with asparagus and butter, and then with the sauce; basil and extra parmigiano on top.

Absolutely marvelous. Not overly attractive, and rich as God-knows-what, but marvelous.

fonduta.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Inspired by River Cottage Veg:

Curried, roasted parsnips and carrots.

New potatoes, green beans and black olives tossed with garlic flavored olive oil and drizzled with a little lemon juice.

Lightly charred Belgian endive and blue cheese.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo] with crème fraîche, parsley, lemon & Parmigiano Reggiano.

This is a John & Abbi Adams recipe; mainstay of Bluebeard, Indy.  I tweaked the quantities a bit.  I make this occasionally and have posted it here before.  I base mine off this one.

Plus a green salad (red & green romaine, red-green butter & green frilly lettuces) dressed w/ Alziari EV olive oil, 10-year Modena balsamic vinegar, salt & black pepper.

DSCN4828a_800.jpg

DSCN4834b_800.jpg

• Like 10