• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Harry!  Haven't seen my fellow Wellingtonian on eG for years!

That pasta looks great.  Do you have a special recipe?  I haven't done it for a while, but the Modernist Cuisine one gave me good results; it was less sticky going through the pasta machine than a 'normal' dough.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Pork belly chunks (skin on), garlic (lots), oil, water, chicken stock, bay leaves; dried oregano & thyme, shallots, baby carrots, celery, salt.  Broccoli florets.  Lumachine (this one).

DSCN4788a_800.jpg

Earlier, w/ misua (min6 sin3).  Plus spinach (blanched, oiled hot water) w/ oyster sauce & white pepper.

DSCN4779-81_C_800.jpg

• Like 5

Harry!  Haven't seen my fellow Wellingtonian on eG for years!

That pasta looks great.  Do you have a special recipe?  I haven't done it for a while, but the Modernist Cuisine one gave me good results; it was less sticky going through the pasta machine than a 'normal' dough.

Hi Leslie! I still check in time to time! I just do 100 grams ’00’ flour to a pinch of salt and a free range egg. If it’s too dry, I add a little water or too wet more flour. I do find that it’s often either slightly dry, and very hard to roll out, or too sticky. Very hard to correct either way. I guess I don’t make it enough to really get good at pasta, although it does always taste good. What’s the Modernist Cuisine method?

Edited by harrysnapperorgans (log)
  • Like 1

liamsaunt,

Your sabih looks delicious. Did you make the bread also?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, you guys have certainly been busy cooking up some lovely stuff!  Everything looks so good.

LiamsAunt--Your monkfish tacos.....yummmmmmm.

Ninagluck--Great looking asparagus.  I'm going to google and see if I can find some strawberry seed oil.  Sounds interesting!  

***side note:  A lot of my asparagus is big, but it's actually more tender than the skinny ones most of the time.

Paul--I want a huge plate of the braciola please.

Kay--I'm jealous of your caprice.  I have caprice envy lol.

Harrysnapperorgans--I'll bet your wife really enjoyed that ravioli.  I love the hearts!

Liuzhou--I'm so hungry for stir-fry.  I hope you got moved into your new place ok.

My mom was here over the weekend.  We had the best time!  She arrived Friday evening.  She loves pasta and fresh veggies so I tried to squeeze in all of her favorites.  I figured she'd be hungry after such a long drive so I had deviled eggs and marinated asparagus from the garden ready.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Later we had spaghetti and venison meatballs.  The sauce was some that I made last summer and froze.  Same with the meatballs.  I made some french bread to go with.  And some steamed asparagus.

photo 3.jpg

Saturday we hurried outside to peruse the garden and look around.  My plan was to spend a ton of time outdoors just sitting....drinking wine and mimosas and talking.  However, mother nature decided to make it pour rain the whole time.  Anyway, she did get to see everything and pick some goodies.  Here's our haul:

photo 4.JPG

Spinach, onions, some asparagus is hiding under there and some peonies (our most favorite flower in the world)

That night I made an alfredo with shrimp and scallops over a bed of vinegar sautéed spinach.

photo 1.JPG

The next day was Mother's Day.  I can't remember when I last spent it with my mother.  Probably at 17-18 years......so I wanted to make it special.  She had never had good caviar before so I ordered three different kinds from Marky's along with blinis and creme fresh.  I chopped up some boiled egg, too.  We had the best time tasting and deciding which we liked the best.  In the end we decided we liked simply scooping up the caviar and eating it straight from the spoon.  No garnishment needed.  Here is the table:

photo 2.JPG

Bagels, marinated asparagus, whipped cream cheese, whipped scallion cream cheese, egg, capers, creme fresh, caviar, spanish blue cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, some kind of red wine soaked cheese (super good), fresh strawberries, olives, prosciutto, blini, smoked salmon.  

Phew!  Oh and of course champagne.  We munched and talked for hours!

photo 5.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Later on Sunday evening I made a couple of pizzas.....I forgot to take pictures, but ya'll have seen my pizza before :)

Last night I made some beer batter and fried some asparagus, mushrooms and a wiper that my husband caught from the lake on Sunday. 

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 18

Shelby, I bet your mom felt honoured. What lovely food, such a nice mix of items. I adore peonies also, they are incredible blossoms. I understand they are edible, do you ever use the petals in salads or anything? 

• Like 2

Shelby, I bet your mom felt honoured. What lovely food, such a nice mix of items. I adore peonies also, they are incredible blossoms. I understand they are edible, do you ever use the petals in salads or anything? 

Thank you so much!

I didn't know they were edible.  I learn something new every day!  I have several bushes.  My mom used to work at a peony farm here years and years ago so I learned a bit about planting and maintenance from her (I used to go with her...I was like 5????  They let me run the string machine that tied up the bouquets once in a while--made me feel cool lol)

I definitely will be googling to find out more about eating them.

• Like 2

liamsaunt,

Your sabih looks delicious. Did you make the bread also?

I did not make the bread.  I purchased it at a Lebanese market near my home.  My bread making skills are pretty limited.  I can do pizza dough, grilled pita and naan, and the recipes in the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.  Everything else I have attempted has been hit or miss.  Luckily, there are places near me that make bread I enjoy.

Hi Leslie! I still check in time to time! I just do 100 grams ’00’ flour to a pinch of salt and a free range egg. If it’s too dry, I add a little water or too wet more flour. I do find that it’s often either slightly dry, and very hard to roll out, or too sticky. Very hard to correct either way. I guess I don’t make it enough to really get good at pasta, although it does always taste good. What’s the Modernist Cuisine method?

I'd have to check the book at home, but from memory the magic, or at least different, ingredient is xanthan.

Ah - here we go.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Another edition of pasta with clams.

Spaghetti alle vongole e pomodori.

Arbosana EV olive oil, medium-hot pan, garlic, hot red chile flakes, cleaned clams, tossed for a minute; sliced tomatoes, sauvignon blanc, chopped parsley, salt, cook on high heat.  Clams removed as they opened.  Drained, barely-cooked spaghetti [Garofalo] added, tossed w/ the thickening sauce.  More chopped parsley.  Plated w/ the clams, garnished w/ parsley.

DSCN4792a_800.jpg

• Like 12

Sadly no pictures - we were all too ravenous to pause and take any, but hopefully a description will suffice;

Being Spring, Ramps are in the air, and in my fridge -

Ramp Pizza

- Potato Mashed Ramp Base w/ bacon fat as a cooking oil

- Sliced pickled ramp bulbs

- Raw Ramp Leaves

- Mozzerella / Friulano mix

- Cumbrae's thick sliced bacon pieces

Edited by TicTac (log)
  • Like 3

20150513_172419_zpsrksof3qz.jpg

This what we had today,  rotisserie pork  and with that roasties, broccoli and  red sauce  ( daughters name on her favourite sauce and no it isnt ketchup, it is ajvar, chilli sauce, yoghurt and tomato purée. 

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

"Tangy shrimp". 

Oil, garlic, {pounded coriander roots, galangal, lemongrass}, tamarind slurry, palm sugar, de-shelled & de-veined shrimp, seasoning adjusted.

Flash stir-fried asparagus.  Rice.

DSCN4805a_800.jpg

DSCN4807a_800.jpg

On the way there:

DSCN4798-4802_C_800.jpg

• Like 7