• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

image.jpg

Simple egg and potato salad.

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow, Anna N,

Your egg and potato salad sure looks good. Mmmm!

I never make potato salad without eggs, but have never seen such a high ratio of eggs, which turns your dish into a simple protein-rich entree. Excellent cook on the boiled eggs too. I'll be copying your idea this summer for sure.

Did you dress maybe just the potatoes in vinaigrette or something? Did you serve it warm or cold? I suspect it would be delicious either way.

> ^ . . ^ <

Max--its funny you "harvested some garlic mustard today"  ( here the claim is--- its a noxious weed )  

I just learned to identify it in the woods while out shroomimg\ this week

How do you treat it?  when you used it?

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Max--its funny you "harvested some garlic mustard today"  ( here the claim is--- its a noxious weed )  

I just learned to identify it in the woods while out shroomimg\ this week

How do you treat it?  when you used it?

I've treated it as a weed myself.  The plant also secretes chemicals which strongly discourage the growth of lots of stuff (if not everything else) around it – so in the past I've tried to pull them out by the roots, by hand (rather than simply shearing the above-ground vegetation off).

I'd be interested too in how this is treated as a condiment, in that mustard preparation shown (I [presume).

I was at a food market for local producers yesterday and found a new product: strawberry seed oil! it tastes amazing, don't ask for the price ;-) grilled asparagus, strawberries marinated in strawberry seed oil and elderflower vinegar, cream cheese

IMG_1122.JPG

• Like 9

I've treated it as a weed myself.  The plant also secretes chemicals which strongly discourage the growth of lots of stuff (if not everything else) around it – so in the past I've tried to pull them out by the roots, by hand (rather than simply shearing the above-ground vegetation off).

I'd be interested too in how this is treated as a condiment, in that mustard preparation shown (I [presume).

It's an invasive species. Good to weed, or in my case, eat, that which you see. Based upon my friend's explanation, it is an extremely nutritious, cleansing plant, and I think that is evident by its deep flavor and post-consumption effects. I blanched some of the large leaves in salted water, blended with chicken stock and marbled into a sabayon mixed with a spoon of mustard. I chopped some up raw and blended with cooked garlic, hard boiled egg yolks and butter, to form fritters. I added some of the blossoms to the pan of asparagus with butter to infuse their flavor, and I garnished with a few raw leaves and the flowers, which tasted sweet of their nectar.  

Edited by mm84321 (log)
  • Like 4

I was at a food market for local producers yesterday and found a new product: strawberry seed oil! it tastes amazing, don't ask for the price ;-) grilled asparagus, strawberries marinated in strawberry seed oil and elderflower vinegar, cream cheese

ninagluck, that is a lovely dish, and I'll bet it tasted as wonderful as it looks.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Romaine leaves, eggs, two garlic croutons, a sprinkling of Maldon salt and a cheater's Caesar dressing on the side for dipping. Bonus: no implements required if you are dining alone!

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That is an incredible piece of salmon mm.

Paul I echo your comment on Anna's potato and egg salad.

I returned to Kenji's five-ingredient Colombian pressure-cooker stew, which I had over three days. On the second and then the third day of reheating, I made adjustments, completely against the spirit of the original dish, which resulted in something incredible (and I don't know whether or not it's repeatable, and whether or not the nights in the refrigerator were significant to the final result):

Day 2: add several squirts of fish sauce and a whole habanero chile (just sitting in the pot)

Day 3: add several pinches of Mexican oregano, several pinches of Aleppo pepper, 2 good anchovies, and reheat in the oven covered at 300F. Remove from oven stir vigorously with a wooden spoon, eviscerating and spreading the whole habanero in the process, as well as the anchovies which have entirely disappeared into the mix.

Cook some more, stir vigorously again, remove bones gristle and bay leaf, and serve over rice with some lemons or limes to squeeze.

pressure_cooker_stew.jpg

• Like 5

Indiana Pork Tenderloin sandwich w/ all the fixin's and fries.  Red Gold ketchup (not in picture).  Mayo.

Fried fresh cod w/ onion rings. Tartar sauce.

At this place in Indy.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and happily ate everything.  Both the pork and fish were fresh and juicy, although not the very best I've ever had.  Fries and rings were good.

Sam Adams.

DSCN4738a_600.jpg

DSCN4739a_600.jpg

• Like 6

Soup.  Chicken broth, bit of oil, smashed garlic, fish balls [Venus], trimmed fresh spinach.  Coriander leaves garnish.

DSCN4761a_800.jpg

Sautéed creminis, asparagus, salt, duck eggs scrambled/marbled in.

DSCN4765a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Broccoli florets sautéed with sliced shallots and ~¾ head of garlic (EV olive oil) plus chopped-up Dodge City salame & some Jinhua-type ham, tossed with fedelini [De Cecco] in the pan.

DSCN4771b_800.jpg

Salad.  Red romaine, green romaine, red-green butter lettuce, green curly lettuce, purple asparagus, Pink Beauty tomato.  Mustard faux vinaigrette dressing, tossed together :-) in the main salad bowl plus black pepper.

DSCN4768a_600.jpg

• Like 7

Pork tenderloin, SV 3 hours at 125 F, cooled, then roasted at 425 with a honey chipotle butter glaze. Roasted sweet potato wedges with smoked paprika. First caprese of the season.

steak n caprese.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Where are you people getting all of those tree trunk-thick asparagus?

The only asparagus I see in my local grocery stores is thin to super skinny (pencil asparagus). Not that I'm complaining it's just I am finding it curious to see such thick spears in a lot of the dinner photos posted in this thread.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The only asparagus I see in my local grocery stores is thin to super skinny (pencil asparagus). Not that I'm complaining it's just I am finding it curious to see such thick spears in a lot of the dinner photos posted in this thread.

I certainly agree with you, I'm not sure where they are getting those trees but I'm glad they are getting them and not us! I certainly prefer the small pencil like spears we are getting here, they are much more tender.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Um, speaking just for myself, that's simply one of the more common types that is available and sold in my parts.  That's all.  The skinny ones (pencil-like) can be found "fresh" from local sources, but more often they are from some place like Mexico or Peru, found not infrequently in Western-type supermarkets.  The local ones *can* vary in thickness from somewhat skinny to enormously fat; but the regularly and evenly skinny ones are from far away much of the time.  Local stuff tends to be fatter.  As for skinny ones being more tender, that is not a generally true phenomenon in my experience.  Doing the "snapping off naturally" trimming of asparagus I not infrequently find that I need to snap off thin asparagus far higher up the stem than I would do in a a comparative sense for fat guys (which, admittedly, I would have picked from a selection of bunches myself).

• Like 1

Sunday was Mother's Day and I had to go out to band practice, and so made up for it last night by making my wife's favorite food, ravioli, this time with a sweet potato, mushroom, feta and parmesan filling.

11238231_690428911103616_208620925318158

As usual no after shot as we were too hungry! I cooked it in salted boiling water and made a simple sauce with olive oil, anchovy, garlic, spinach, pasta water and lots of parmesan.

Then after dinner I made another batch of fresh pasta for my wife to cook for lunches for the next week or so:

11223858_690429344436906_373623784050376

It was fun, but a lot of hard work. I was rolling pasta for hours.

• Like 8

It's a shame you didn't have time to include a "finished" shot of those charming ravioli.  The heart shapes are clever.  Did you use a cookie cutter on them?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown