• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Everyone's meals look great. Our dinner was several appetizers and a salad.  Salad was marinated cauliflower, broccoli, sunflower seeds, dates and onion.  Apps were two taco dips, one meatless and leftover from yesterday, deep fried red bell peppers, and Buffalo chicken ring with sour cream and bleu cheese dip.

DSCN2565_zps8tg6cb7k.jpg

• Like 9

Norm,

Deep-fried red bell peppers is something I have never heard of, and while I might prefer a little less breading than in your lovely photo, it's an idea I will keep well in mind for the next time I find good red bells. I love sweet red peppers, and what isn't improved by frying and then being well drained and blotted?  :smile:

Just curious, did you come up with the idea or have you seen it before?

> ^ . . ^ <

Norm, your food looks like out of Betty Crocker cookbook and that style and era, it is oddly comforting.

Yesterday we made satay pork, very tasty and every one liked it.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Thanks for the Crepes and CatPoet,  If you click on the http link at the bottom of my post, it will take you to the recipes.  The two recipes were brought to my attention by people I know.  My daughter-in-law asked me to make the fried pepper rings.  They were batter dipped and the batter was thicker than I'd make it next time.  CP: Funny you'd say the recipe looks like Betty Crocker.  The recipe was actually Pillsbury's. The taco dips were using up extra food bought from yesterday's Cinqo de Mayo.  

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 2

In honor of scoring the first zucchini of the season, along with an alleged vine-ripened-in-Florida tomato, we had zucchini fritters, creamed corn and sliced tomato for dinner.

summer veggies.jpg

The corn was some I had frozen last year. The tomatoes were good, if not spectacular; flavor was vine-ripened but the texture was mealy, I expect from refrigeration on the trip up here. Still better than grocery store tomatoes, by a long shot. I'll have the rest of that one today on a BLT. 

The fritters weren't....quite....right. I think it was the off-brand saltines I used for crumbs. Must go back to using Nabisco.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Yesterday, dinner was more of an experiment than a meal. I made fried noodles with sriracha sauce.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

image.jpg

Rice bowl with chicken thigh and green beans.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight I took the sous vide turkey from last night and cooked it in it's juice in a cast iron skillet until it was falling apart and caramelized in the juice. Served on corn tortillas with a slaw, gruyere, and the last of some roasted cauliflower that was browned in the pan used for the turkey, picking lovely brown bits.

An example of left overs head over heals above the original dish

c81231cf3be40b761c30ef6f5ebcb6a5.jpg

383a77fb8c8af832a4a764bd1557776b.jpg

69f791dd65a9010a8ce3137d5632960e.jpg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 7

Inspired by the Frozen Burgers in Ontario thread and wanting a quick dinner, I hiked a couple miles to the store and back looking for some hamburger.  There were some preformed patties on sale which I took home.  The brand is Schweind & Sons, which I had never heard of.  But they did the job.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Still on a spring vegetable kick -- yellow crookneck squash and sweet onions, new potatoes simply boiled with butter, a thin pork loin chop, and waffle iron cornbread, an innovation for which I'll be forever grateful to Kim Shook.

waffle cornbread.jpg

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Top sirloin cap, end cut.  Sliced into three pieces, seasoned w/ salt & pepper and pan-fried/pan-seared.  Yes, they were still nicely red on the inside.  Wild rice [bineshii], simmered in slightly salted water then tossed in the pan (with the fire on) with the residues and fat & juices from doing the sirloin.  Sliced "skinny negi"/cebollitas.

DSCN4721a_800.jpg

Salad.  Green frisee lettuce, baby bok choy, Miner's Lettuce, Napa cabbage heart, Pink Beauty tomato (greenhouse; this was good); Alziari EV olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper, 10-year Modena balsamic vinegar.

DSCN4726a_800.jpg

• Like 8

I got to see and film my very first tornado Wednesday evening.  I'm still SO excited.  It was about 2 miles from my house.  I filmed it from inside my truck next to my mailbox.  Supposed to be an active couple of days so who knows what else I might get to see.  

My mom is coming today!!!!!!   I'm beside myself with excitement.  

We had leftovers last night:

Fried chicken, taters and swiss chard

photo.JPG

• Like 8

A couple meals of "Sapporo Ichiban Japanese Style Noodles & Chicken Flavored-Soup" augmented with stuff.

Andouille sausage, smashed garlic, cremini mushrooms, rainbow swiss chard, farm-fresh eggs poached in situ.

DSCN4690a_800.jpg

Leftover "Rosemary & Lemon Chicken (rotisserie-type)" [from The Fresh Market], shredded meat; sliced Savoy cabbage, cremini mushrooms, halved hard-boiled farm-fresh eggs, deep-fried sliced shallots.

DSCN4718c_800.jpg

• Like 8

My Modern take on the Braciola

Morel Mushroom/Provel/Parsley/Fresh Bread Crumb--Yes in a red sauce

17426482312_28da053493_k.jpg

Already Browned and in the Gravy

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7

Its good to have Morels

Pad Woon Sen (ผัดวุ้นเส้น).  Today's version.

DSCN4735a_800.jpg

Eaten w/ spoon (and fork), of course.

On the way there.

DSCN4728-32_C_800.jpg

Ground beef chuck [Goose the Market], hot long green chillies, farm-fresh eggs, garlic, sauce mixture; savoy cabbage, Western celery, scallions, cellophane noodles soaked & cut-up.

The sauce mixture was fish sauce [Red Boat], double-fermented soy sauce [Lee Kum Kee], dark soy sauce [Yuet Heung Yuen], a bit of oyster sauce [Lee Kum Kee], yellow rock sugar (crushed, stirred in to dissolve), generous ground white pepper.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7