• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Oh, Anna! Those look wonderful! I do love stuffed peppers, especially those miniatures.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Soup. Finely sliced "small negi"/cebollitas verde & portobello mushrooms in chicken broth. Garnished w/ chopped Western chives & ground black pepper.

DSCN4662a_800.jpg

Angel hair pasta [De Cecco] with a sauce made with fresh chorizo sausage, sliced up (and crumbled in the pan) sautéed w/ olive oil, garlic, celery, (canned) chopped tomatoes w/ green peppers etc plus the juices, several pours of Odisea Petite Cochon Rouge (2010), dried Mexican oregano & dried thyme.  Seasoning adjusted.

DSCN4665a_800.jpg

• Like 7

Shelby,

I've got to love a breakfast that includes just picked asparagus under a perfectly cooked farm fresh egg.

Is that sausage gravy and a biscuit at the top of the plate?

:biggrin:   Yes.  I needed gravy and biscuits that night.

Aspargus again last night (6 days in a row eating asparagus). With cooked ham (a specific kind which goes well with asparagus, the Germans are particular about this kind of thing), and smoked raw ham. Most commonly served with hollandaise or butter, but I prefer mine plain or with drawn butter.

Green stuff is fresh ramps. I ate its flowers, too.

akhBO7s.jpg

iQilzcS.jpg

• Like 4

Johnnybird is about to retire and there will be some changes .... no more sandwiches and MAYBE we will be able to eat dinner together more often.

Asked him what he wanted and he said fish so picked up some fresh red snapper that they cleaned for me.  Marinating in a mix of minced garlic, dill and kosher salt.  Will bake in foil with some lemon and white wine.  Boiled potatoes with dill and olive oil.  Steamed broccoli.

• Like 6

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Shelby, your meals always exude tastiness (of course) but also a home-cooked goodness and hospitality. I KNOW that I would feel enveloped by warmth in your household. I can practically the smell the delicious food coming off the screen.

• Like 8

image.jpg

Sous vide duck leg - not confit, 7 hours at 82°C. Cauliflower with cheese sauce on the side.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN :  did you crisp the duck leg up ?

I did indeed. In the Breville XL first on roast function 450°F with convection and then a brief trip under the broiler. I

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Roast Prime Ribs with yorkshire puddings, asparagus with hollandaise, parsnip puree, and roasted shallots in a mustard herb butter with a splash of sherry vinegar.  Yum.  Roast cooked at 250 F after searing for around 30 min to the pound and taken out at 124F

DSC00836.JPGDSC00837.JPG

• Like 12

Ooooohhhh. That's lovely, Okanagancook. I have never cooked a prime rib at home, nor have I ever made a Yorkshire pud. I need to remedy both of those. 

Shelby, I bought asparagus today at the Farmers' Market and plan to hold back a few spears for one morning next week, to be garnished with a poached egg. However, I will have to pass on the biscuit with sausage gravy, as one of the two things I cannot make worth a damn is sausage gravy. (The other is chicken and dumplings.) 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Couple of meals.

-----------------------------------------------------

Leftover chorizo sauce (from here) augmented w/ sliced portobello mushrooms, more chopped de-stringed celery, more Petite Cochon Rouge, several dashes of fish sauce, jaggery sugar, juice of a fresh lime, more oil, seasoning adjusted.  Served w/ linguine [Rusticella d'Abruzzo] & dressed w/ chopped parsley.

DSCN4673a_800.jpg

Stir-fried Dragon Tongue Mustard Greens w/ garlic & peanut oil.

DSCN4677a_800.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

"Sapporo Ichiban Japanese Style Noodles & Chicken flavored-soup" with romaine lettuce, Dragon Tongue mustard greens, Dodge City salame, three farm-fresh eggs.

DSCN4679a_800.jpg

• Like 9

Johnnybird is about to retire and there will be some changes .... no more sandwiches and MAYBE we will be able to eat dinner together more often.

Asked him what he wanted and he said fish so picked up some fresh red snapper that they cleaned for me.  Marinating in a mix of minced garlic, dill and kosher salt.  Will bake in foil with some lemon and white wine.  Boiled potatoes with dill and olive oil.  Steamed broccoli.

Congratulations on the retirement!!!!  

Shelby, your meals always exude tastiness (of course) but also a home-cooked goodness and hospitality. I KNOW that I would feel enveloped by warmth in your household. I can practically the smell the delicious food coming off the screen.

Patrick, thank you so much.  You've made my day :)

Ooooohhhh. That's lovely, Okanagancook. I have never cooked a prime rib at home, nor have I ever made a Yorkshire pud. I need to remedy both of those. 

Shelby, I bought asparagus today at the Farmers' Market and plan to hold back a few spears for one morning next week, to be garnished with a poached egg. However, I will have to pass on the biscuit with sausage gravy, as one of the two things I cannot make worth a damn is sausage gravy. (The other is chicken and dumplings.) 

Kay, you just can't beat a poached egg over fresh asparagus.  And, trust me, I've been gravy challenged for YEARS.  If I can do it, you can do it!

Happy Kentucky Derby Day, everyone!!!!!  I love this day more than any day of the whole year.

Steak quesadillas the other night

photo 1.JPG

Turkey sandwiches with onion rings and the best experiment I've done in a long time:  fried asparagus spears.  O M G try this guys.  REALLY good.

photo 2.JPG

• Like 7

Finally some decent weather and the first meal outdoors of the year.

Gazpacho

20150502_175610.jpg

Roast chicken with potatoes and sweet peppers (made all at once in the Breville...I love that oven)

20150502_185416.jpg

• Like 6

I also did spareribs yesterday- eight hours in the bge...

This evening for dinner all I had was one large ripe avocado and 2 reheated spareribs. Hope I don't have a fat embolism later on. But surely one of the most satisfying meals I've had in a while. 

Sorry no pics this time.

• Like 2

For the Yorkshire Puds, I used this recipe:  http://britishfood.about.com/od/regionalenglishrecipes/r/yorkspuds.htm

works every time

A dear professor of mine from Yorkshire taught that only a Yorkshire woman could make an authentic Yorkshire pudding.  She professed at Oxford.

That being said, as a poor American, it has been years since I have prepared a Yorkshire pudding.  I am now craving Yorkshire pudding, not to mention the roast to drip upon it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For the Yorkshire Puds, I used this recipe:  http://britishfood.about.com/od/regionalenglishrecipes/r/yorkspuds.htm

works every time

From your link...

Ingredients
  • 4 large, fresh eggs, measured into a jug
  • Equal quantity of milk to your measured eggs
  • Equal quantity of all purpose/plain flour to measured eggs
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 tbsp lard, beef dripping or vegetable oil"

Is equal volumes or weight of eggs, milk and flour?