• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 2)

Thanks for the Crepes

Always eat SPAM just before and after midnight to conveniently distribute sodium intake over 2 days in respect to the recommended allowance.

• Like 7

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Spaghetti [Garofalo] (straight from the cooking pot) tossed in the pan w/ a sauce made with EV olive oil, chopped smashed garlic, chopped hot capocolla (see here), chopped trimmed broccoli rabe, chopped sun-dried tomatoes [bella Sun Luci] w/ all the marinating oil; then just before & with the spaghetti was added in asparagus (from IN) & canned artichoke hearts (drained, halved) and everything tossed/stirred together for a minute or two (fire on) with a bit of the pasta water added in during tossing.  Oh, plus black pepper.  Heat shut off and covered for 30 sec to a minute before plating.

DSCN4636a_800.jpg

• Like 9

This weekend, I was involved in the cooking and serving of 884 chicken halves, of which those below are a small portion, accompanied by beans, slaw and assorted desserts, as part of my church's 51st annual Chicken Barbecue. I guess if they've been doing it more than half a century, they've learned to do it right, as this was some of the best smoked chicken I believe I've ever had.

chicken bbq.jpg

These were relatively small chicken halves, I'd guess about a pound and a quarter, cooked. The sauce was tangy and good -- a thin, vinegar-based sauce used to baste while they were cooking -- and smoke permeated every fiber of the chicken.

Fortunately, we had some left over, and I came home with four halves, which are residing in my refrigerator as we speak. At least one is destined for my favorite smoky chicken salad -- smoked chicken, roasted corn kernels cut from the cob, crumbled bacon, dressing of mayo, Greek yogurt and pimenton de la vera. The others I expect I will pull from the bones today and vac-pack and freeze for future use. I think they'd make a fine chicken alfredo, adding a little pimenton de la vera to the sauce, and some may get scattered over salad.

I was tired enough Sunday that dinner was potato chips and dip, a narrow choice over Chinese delivery.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kay – that shot of the chicken cooking took me back to my childhood.  When I was a kid every summer weekend on the route to the Eastern shore and Ocean City, MD you could smell that chicken.  I think that every men’s organization and church set up a chicken BBQ’ing stand and it was the best tasting chicken I’ve ever eaten.  Every grilled/BBQ’ed chicken I’ve eaten since has come up short.  On our last beach trip, I kept my nose out the window for a whiff of that chicken.  We had to settle for Catholic pit beef.  Good, but NOT the same.  Thank you for the memory boost!

I should probably be ashamed to post this meal, but I’m not :raz: . 

med_gallery_3331_114_60636.jpg

Frozen chicken Kiev on Uncle Ben’s long grain and wild rice.  My dad and I were talking the other day about foods that we used to eat that we never make/buy anymore.  This was one of my memories.  I used to make this all the time in the late 80’s.  Then I read the calorie and fat count of the Kiev and even I was somewhat appalled.  So I got out of the habit and we haven’t had it in years.  But after our conversation, I got a craving.  Turns out they still sell it and they are actually better tasting now than years ago.  The ones I used to buy were already cooked and frozen.  These were raw and the chicken was much more tender.  We probably won’t have them for another few years, but since I can’t imagine that I’ll ever bother to make it from scratch again and restaurants don’t serve it anymore, they are there for the next craving.

• Like 6

Spaghetti [Garofalo] (straight from the cooking pot) tossed in the pan w/ a sauce made with EV olive oil, chopped smashed garlic, chopped hot capocolla (see here), chopped trimmed broccoli rabe, chopped sun-dried tomatoes [bella Sun Luci] w/ all the marinating oil; then just before & with the spaghetti was added in asparagus (from IN) & canned artichoke hearts (drained, halved) and everything tossed/stirred together for a minute or two (fire on) with a bit of the pasta water added in during tossing.  Oh, plus black pepper.  Heat shut off and covered for 30 sec to a minute before plating.

attachicon.gifDSCN4636a_800.jpg

Oops.  Plus a generous dose of hot red chilli flakes into the oil with the garlic...can't imagine how I forgot that.

• Like 1

Thanks, Shelby.  :-) 

(wrt the clam pasta)

Is it really difficult to get live clams in your area or from some place in the city when you go in?

Yes, it is impossible.  No live clams around here (that I know of).  I order manilla clams from Pike Place Fish sometimes. 

attachicon.gifIMG-20150427-WA0004.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20150427-WA0006.jpg

Leg of Lamb. Sous Vide then finished in an oven. Served with a board sauce of butter, olive oil and herbs, and a creamy mint mushroom sauce.

Had to look up board sauce! Interesting technique. For others as puzzled as me, you toss herbs, seasonings, oil onto the board where you are carving the meat and sort of scoosh (highly technical term) the meat through it. At least that is what I gleaned from Mr. Google.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Had to look up board sauce! Interesting technique. For others as puzzled as me, you toss herbs, seasonings, oil onto the board where you are carving the meat and sort of scoosh (highly technical term) the meat through it. At least that is what I gleaned from Mr. Google.

Yup, scoosh is absolutely the term I use too..

First time trying it, I certainly enjoyed it. Used parsley, mint and some pickled chili. Will be using it for my smoked prime rib roast tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

Found the video I used to create it:

• Like 4

Found the video I used to create it:

https://vimeo.com/12099997

OMG. I am so hungry! Thanks very much for sharing both the video and the technique.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ranz

thanks so much for your lamb pics and the vid.  I love lamb, very much on the rare side.  not so much lamb fat.

in my early days of SV exploration, I trimmed up some bone-less lamb legs, and being an idiot i.e. inexperienced w SV on really tender cuts, i got The Moosh.

after i eat up a few sheaves of the SV freezer, im going back to get lamb right  ( for me )

many thanks for reminding me that just because I was an idiot back then, doesn't mean i have to stay a Lamb-idiot for ever.

i like it as rare as possible, fat trimmed off !

big Yum on what you made !

Ranz, there's my new technique for the day. Thanks for the inspiration and the link. Both your lamb and his prime rib look brilliant!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Fried Morels!!

20130_10205390931923989_1539043082934869800_n1.jpg

This is what I did for this batch

I have cook shrooms..for yrs..swear..the best tonight.take one organic egg..add touch of water..Lawreys salt and gran garlic..beat...add shrooms...them I add AP flour to make a light batter......now here's what makes the difference....remove battered shrooms..and place on Silat mat and into frig one hr...this helps set batter...and the mushrooms exude their liquid..they fry awesome

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 7

Its good to have Morels

OMG. I am so hungry! Thanks very much for sharing both the video and the technique.

No problem :) Been reading up on this dude, seems to know his stuff. I usually get my BBQ tips from Meathead and Aaron Franklin.

Ranz

thanks so much for your lamb pics and the vid.  I love lamb, very much on the rare side.  not so much lamb fat.

in my early days of SV exploration, I trimmed up some bone-less lamb legs, and being an idiot i.e. inexperienced w SV on really tender cuts, i got The Moosh.

after i eat up a few sheaves of the SV freezer, im going back to get lamb right  ( for me )

many thanks for reminding me that just because I was an idiot back then, doesn't mean i have to stay a Lamb-idiot for ever.

i like it as rare as possible, fat trimmed off !

big Yum on what you made !

The Moosh? I also prefer the fat from a lamb done properly over a fire, not as rare as this.

Try a rack of lamb! Think I'm going to try some lamb neck sous-vide with some bordelaise soon.

Ranz, there's my new technique for the day. Thanks for the inspiration and the link. Both your lamb and his prime rib look brilliant!

Thanks :) Let's hope my prime rib roast comes out as nice.. Using a wet rub for the smoke for the first time.

The other night for dinner I did the first test run of the dishes I'll be teaching at my next class in May.  A simple salad of pickled daikon, carrot and green onion with Thai bird chiles.  The main is a Thai green curry with grilled prawns and rice.  The base of the curry and garnishes are numerous-basil, mint, cilantro, fried garlic, cashews, green curry paste, yellow curry paste, coconut milk, lime, lime zest, and a few more things.  Turned out pretty good for the first run, now I'll work on it some more and have some great dinners testing the dishes.

151.JPG

155.JPG

• Like 9

No problem :) Been reading up on this dude, seems to know his stuff. I usually get my BBQ tips from Meathead and Aaron Franklin.

The Moosh? I also prefer the fat from a lamb done properly over a fire, not as rare as this.

Try a rack of lamb! Think I'm going to try some lamb neck sous-vide with some bordelaise soon.

Thanks :) Let's hope my prime rib roast comes out as nice.. Using a wet rub for the smoke for the first time.

I'll be interested in the lamb necks seeing I have three in the freezer!  Love lamb neck and the sous vide rig would keep it nice and moist but still medium rare....kinda like beef short ribs...yes.  I will try the same temps as the beef ribs.

cheers.

• Like 1